Amd cpu mb choice help

mush2004

Right off the assembly line
Guys need help.
Planning to buy a new motherboard with CPU. Choice is either MSI 990FXA-GD80 or Asus Crosshair V Formula along with either AMD X4 955 or X6 1055T or X6 1090T. My questions are as follows:
1) which of the two motherboards is better keeping cost and sound card on board in mind.
2) is AMD x6 1055T or X6 1090T better that AMD X4 955 in terms of gaming and video performance.
Regards,
Mush

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1. I think crosshair V has a slight edge but I would pick MSI's, thanks to pathetic support offered by Rashi.
2. yes, they are better than X4 955 and they will get better and better as games start utilizing 6 cores

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Games today utilise 2-3 Cores mainly so Quad is sufficient for gaming.

But if you are into heavy video encoding and all then go with Hexacore.

Also as BD is just a month away from launch and then a couple more to be available here if you can wait then it will be better.

If Not then Pick 955 BE or 1055 T and jump on BD later.

OP
M

mush2004

Games today utilise 2-3 Cores mainly so Quad is sufficient for gaming.

But if you are into heavy video encoding and all then go with Hexacore.

Also as BD is just a month away from launch and then a couple more to be available here if you can wait then it will be better.

If Not then Pick 955 BE or 1055 T and jump on BD later.

but guys i think buldozer will cost too much hence going for mx4 955 for now with msi mb. just to be sure off is 1055T also better than 955 x4? thanks in advance

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yes, bulldozer will not only have 8 core cpu's but will also include hex-core and quad core models namely fx 6100 and fx 4100 respectively. These will be relatively cheaper.

So waiting is a good idea.

sukesh1090

Adam young
btw how much a bulldozer quad core processor will cost?any ideas.i just need a fair margin as i am also thinking of upgrade.will any of them cost around 6k.is there any chance of price reduction in phenom processors when bd is launched?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Phenom Prices will drop after BD Launch. Top End BD is going to be launched in same price tag of i7 2600K. So I think a Main Stream 6 Core Would be around 10-12 K Odd and 4 Core Entry Level might be around 8.5K here. (Speculated Price No Proof)

And 100% none of them will be available for 6K Price.

OP
M

mush2004

Thanks a lot guys. Yes bulodzer will be releasing by sept 19th cant wait to have hands on it. However, currently i dont have a PC so thinking of just buying Crosshair V formula with a normal amd procecsor lik X4 and then going in for buldozer once it comes in. Hope this sounds right pls suggest.
Mush

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
In that case, get the best mobo, RAM etc. that you can buy. Pair them with the cheapest CPU that you can find. Once BD is released get the one which fits your budget. And sell the previous CPU. In this way, you won't be losing much, money wise. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
For 990FXA based chipset, get the Asus Sabertooth 990FXA, priced @ 13.5K + Vat. Price of Crosshair V formula 990FX, a ROG (republic of the Gamer) board, is 15.1K + Vat.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the Sabertooth as a graphics card can be plugged in the 4th slot unlike Crosshair where the 4th slot is a PCI slot. This is particularly important for Crossfire as the bridge is shorter than SLI bridge and you can't really plug two AMD cards in 1st and 5th/6th slot.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Yes, I also found it out. It han handle 4 dual slot Gfx cards and one test is made from my side by installing 3 cards...2 HD 6870s and the GTX 260

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pics please. I am actually looking forward to see the gaps between the cards.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
I prefer the Sabertooth as a graphics card can be plugged in the 4th slot unlike Crosshair where the 4th slot is a PCI slot. This is particularly important for Crossfire as the bridge is shorter than SLI bridge and you can't really plug two AMD cards in 1st and 5th/6th slot.

wait...what?

Top Bottom