AMD Catalyst Driver Update Thread [ 12.8 ]

SunE

Professional Newbie
As most of us know the Catalyst 12.6 WHQL is out now.
Here are some of the resolved issues:

RESOLVED ISSUES

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 OperatingSystem

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst12.6 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

CERT recently approached AMD with information pertaining to what they believed to be a possible video driver vulnerability exposed by non-default settings of the Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET). EMET is a security test tool that allows system administrators to create test conditions to validate correct behavior of system components or indicate potential weak points.
The AMD Catalyst 12.6 driver for the AMD Radeon HD 7000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series is designed to resolve a possible video driver vulnerability issue and to minimize the occurrence of system crashes.
AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Eyefinity/Multiple Display configurations - BSOD when using desktop applications.
AMD Catalyst 12.6 includes some additional fixes(not found in the AMD Catalyst 12.6 Beta) for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics cards for issues related to the GPU hanging when the system goes to sleep. Please ensure that your System BIOS is up to date. Some occurrences of this issue may be related to an outdated System BIOS.
Heroes and Generals - Blocky corruption in scenes with smoke effects when run in DirectX 11 mode.
AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 CrossFire Configuration – system hang after cinematics in Call of Duty: Black Ops.
AMD A4, AMD A6, AMD A8 and AMD A10 APU Products - crashes after repeated toggling between VGA and HDMI monitors.
System hangs after playing various DVD and Bluray titles with PowerDVD.
Video corruption seen after playing some DivX video clips using Windows Media Center.
AMD Radeon 7800 series products: Crysis 2 hangs when run in DirectX 9 mode.
AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Eyefinity/Multiple Display configurations - BSOD when using desktop applications in DirectX 11 mode.

Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst™12.6 software suite for Windows Vista. These include:

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Poor game performance experienced when run in Tridef mode with in-game AA enabled.

Full release notes can be found here.

You can download it from here.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

So I'm using a Sapphire HD 7850 and started with 12.4. After upgrading to 12.6, I played 2 games, namely Battlefield 3 and GTA IV.

In BF3 the minimum FPS increased by about 11(getting min FPS of 53 in multiplayer now :doublethumb:, earlier it was 42).

In GTA IV the average FPS now stays in the range of 53-63. Earlier it was always under 55 and rarely crossed 60. Also the minimum FPS has now become 38 from 29.

Thus for me 12.6 is a great update :clap2:. Please share your views on it's performance. Also I've heard 12.7 is even better. Anybody try the beta yet?

rider

as Kratos
I'm now getting upto 45fps in max payne 3 in all high settings, 2x mxaa and t'tion at medium. :hyper:
Awesome update!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the 12.6 improve performance of the 6850? :D

even I'm eager to know that but I think I will go for 12.7 - installed 12.4 before - faced lots of issue ( actually this started with 12 series driver ) - currently using 11.12 driver but if 12.6 proves to be stable for HD6850 I might update to it.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
@topgear Hmm I heard changing drivers is always a bit of a mess. :S I didn't have a gpu before and the first drivers I installed were the 12.4 ones. So far no issues in any games.

@ico That sounds promising. :D But I think I'll wait for someone else to try he 12.6 on the 6850 first :p

OP
S

SunE

Professional Newbie
Hey guys don't be cowards :p Try it yourself and find out if there are any performance improvements.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always prefer clean install using driversweeper just to be free from any issue - anyway, I'll give 12.6 a try with DiRt showdown ;-)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
On 12.7 beta for a while. Great performance.

It may be witcher 2 enhanced edition's optimization or catalyst drivers since last year because except ubersampling EVERY SETTING is at max (textures 1 below because my HD5850 is a 1GB card).

And this time not only is the performance smoother at HIGHER settings, I'm also using MLAA. Higher frame rate, higher settings, MLAA enabled. I couldn't really ask for more.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
On 12.7 beta for a while. Great performance.

It may be witcher 2 enhanced edition's optimization or catalyst drivers since last year because except ubersampling EVERY SETTING is at max (textures 1 below because my HD5850 is a 1GB card).

And this time not only is the performance smoother at HIGHER settings, I'm also using MLAA. Higher frame rate, higher settings, MLAA enabled. I couldn't really ask for more.

did not know that even you areusing a HD6850 - great and thkas for feedback on 12.7 beta ;-)

BTW, guys how do I benchmark games like BF3, BFBC2, MP3 - I mean I don't want to use fraps - any dedicated benchmark tools for them like Crysis 2 benchmark tool ?? Also Witcher 2 and Skyrim has built in benchmark tools or not ??

Top Bottom