AMD Bulldozer A Surprisingly Sell-Out Sales Success. Victims: Phenom II & Athlon II

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Bulldozer A Surprisingly Sell-Out Sales Success. Victims: Phenom II & Athlon II | techPowerUp

AMD's new Bulldozer "FX" series of processors may be very lacklustre performers in reviewer's benchmarks and have garnered considerable scorn in enthusiast circles, but they're a very good performer for AMD's bottom line. Incredibly, they are selling out as soon as shops get them in stock - and they are not even priced very competitively against Intel's offerings, so perhaps the "It's an 8 core CPU!!" marketing is working well on the uninformed "enthusiast" after all? Mind you, what enthusiast, however uninformed, wouldn't know exactly how these products perform? Every tech website and computer magazine has covered these chips by now. The mind boggles.

Unfortunately, the victims of this unwarranted success are the decent Phenom II & Athlon II processors, which have always been priced very well, giving good value for money and are good sellers. The reason is that the manufacturing plants share equipment between these old 45 nm products and the new 32 nm ones, creating a conflict between them, so one must go. It therefore makes sound business sense for AMD to discontinue selling the old product in favour of the new, expensive one which is flying off the shelves. AMD will stop shipping all Athlon II's and Phenom II's to distributors, but with one exception. The "Zosma" 6 core Phenom II X4 960T will continue to be available until stocks run dry. This has two cores disabled, making it a "quad" core CPU, but with luck they might be unlockable. To state the obvious, if one is considering buying one of these discontinued chips, then they'd better not wait long.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Re: AMD Bulldozer A Surprisingly Sell-Out Sales Success. Victims: Phenom II & Athlon

Looks like AMD is following Intel's footstep; Selling their products driven by the force of marketing instead of performance.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Re: AMD Bulldozer A Surprisingly Sell-Out Sales Success. Victims: Phenom II & Athlon

The chip performs for what you pay for it.

It is not meant for enthusiasts. Get over it already.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

but haven't seen even a single AMD ad in tv for many years now. i feel instead of ads, if intel offers slight discount, it'll be better as most will definitely go for Intel even if AMD 8core are priced same as i3s.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

AMD does ADs on billboards rather than TV :)

I saw one in Kolkata (somewhere near Shakespeare Sarani).

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

but haven't seen even a single AMD ad in tv for many years now. i feel instead of ads, if intel offers slight discount, it'll be better as most will definitely go for Intel even if AMD 8core are priced same as i3s.

I think they aren't interested in Indian sell. So, we don't see any ads from them. Scenarios might be different in other countries.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

They are. They had a billboard up which said that you got Dirt 3 free with every purchase of AMD FX chips.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

sunny10 had sent me a PM about this as he wanted to post in the Bulldozer thread. Too bad that thread is locked.

We can continue here.

I remember Viswanathan Anand in AMD adverts back in the Phenom days.

vaibhav23

In the zone

thanks ico.
Well I also saw the AMD ad youtube.I think that it was only as of AMD I have seen.
AMD is also giving Battlefield 3 with purchase of AMD FX processors

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

With all things (hardware) remaining constant, price matters. A 8150 and a top-end 990fx mobo like ASUS sabertooth is way cheaper than a Core i7 and a top-end Z68 mobo. If you are running multiple GPUs on a single monitor, the AMD config is actually significantly cheaper per fps you get with power consumption remaining same. Check here:-

X79 / Z68 / 990FX CrossFireX HD 6970 x3 Performance Analysis :: TweakTown USA Edition

Of course, one may feel he is actually limiting his high-end cards, but for most users, it seems it doesn't matters. And I think your daily computing experience is hardly going to affected if you get a BD instead of SNB/E.

But there's an irony in that BD is actually selling on the back of "8-core" marketing, when most of their PR team have been fired. ;)

sukesh1090

Adam young

its a good news that FX is selling well but for that they are stopping pII and AII this is not a good move i guess though it is inevitable,athlon are the only processor people can buy for a very low budget computers now we have to see what is going to happen.I am lucky that i bought 955.

^^that was the main slogan of AMD that the amd setup will cost you way cheaper than the Intel setup and looks like it is working well.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX

Seems like 8 core's the same as 'Our 6 or their 4' advertisement. It used to appear at the back of the front cover of digit.

vaibhav23

In the zone

So after this decision maybe BD prices could drop to fill the void created by the loss of p2 and A2 processors.AMD still aims to be the VFM king.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Some more SKUs may be released to fill the void. ;)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ you forgot AMD APU? surely those are AII replacement but if priced right, they'll offer same VFM as AII but my only doubt, how long amd will support the FM1 socket.

swapnilbunty123

Broken In

AMD Bulldozer A Surprisingly Sell-Out Sales Success. Victims: Phenom II & Athlon II | techPowerUp

well i hv one query for you

which is good INtel Core i5 2500k
or BullDozer FX 8120

i am doing App Developemet, Gaming and rendering video !

and i want system future proof for atleast 4-5 years!!!!!

plz suggest !

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

AMD to Start Production of Desktop "Trinity" APU in March - Document - X-bit labs

Before releasing its highly-anticipated A-series "Trinity" APUs for desktop computer later in the year, AMD will refresh the family of its accelerated processing units with unlocked A8-3870K and A6-3670K "Llano" chips as well as A8-3820, A6-3620 and A4-3420 products in January, 2012.

Have Bulldozer laptops started hitting the market hard yet ?? I've barely seen any 32nm AMD hearts powering laptops, atleast in India (except bobcat).

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

well i hv one query for you

which is good intel core i5 2500k
or bulldozer fx 8120

i am doing app developemet, gaming and rendering video !

And i want system future proof for atleast 4-5 years!!!!!

Plz suggest !

and it will be better if you fill the PC build questionnaire template in a separate thread in pc components/configurations section.

Last edited:

AcceleratorX

Youngling

I think more and more people are realizing that AMD offers good value, and more importantly that the company must not die. That is why Bulldozer is getting good sales, it's a serviceable product at a serviceable price, and it's got the value factor added.

Top Bottom