AMD 6790 Discussion

[TPU] AMD prepares to release HD 6790
On April 5, AMD will release its newest Radeon HD 6000 series GPU, which it has been largely secretive about. The new Radeon HD 6790 is designed to compete with NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 550 Ti. The HD 6790 is based on AMD's 40 nm "Barts" GPU (on which are based HD 6850 and HD 6870). The Barts silicon is configured to have 800 stream processors (SPs)...hang on, unlike the 800 SPs on Juniper (HD 5700 series, HD 6770), the 800 SPs (arranged in 10 streaming multiprocessor units) on Barts will be spread across two blocks of 400 SPs each, each block having its own dispatch processor.

*www.techpowerup.com/img/11-03-29/183a.jpg

Source

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Two 6-pin connecters? HD 6850 only uses one? :confused:

AMD's version of GTX 550?? More power less performance??

Two 6-pin connecters? HD 6850 only uses one? :confused:

AMD's version of GTX 550?? More power less performance??

Not that less I should think. Think should crush a 5770, unlike 6850 which is a downgrade from a 5850.

Note: Expected price about $130.

The weird thing I find is the numbering scheme. I'm lost completely. What the hell AMD??? 6790 looks like 6970... :D:D

I thought the scheme was something like xy30, xy50, xy70, xy90(although this last one is bit obscure what with AMD only launching 4890 and 6990).

Key:
x=series ; y=sub-series

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
HD48** series used to have 3 members: HD4830, HD4850, HD4870. maybe AMD will repeat the same thing again.

BTW what exactly does that 2 block thing mean? will it be another dual GPU card?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ No no not dual gpu. Two blocks mean 2 simd engines containing the sp's. Each block has 400 sp's totalling to 800 for the gpu.

It also has a shared tesselation execution unit in the backend. Each simd has its own rasterizer though( responsible for filling pixels and textures). Should have good tesselation performance too.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
believe me i read the title and felt a gpu is coming which will lie between 6970 and 6990 :-D

anyway waiting for it.

HD48** series used to have 3 members: HD4830, HD4850, HD4870. maybe AMD will repeat the same thing again.

BTW what exactly does that 2 block thing mean? will it be another dual GPU card?

58** also had that - 5830, 5850, 5870 ;-)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ No no not dual gpu. Two blocks mean 2 simd engines containing the sp's. Each block has 400 sp's totalling to 800 for the gpu.

pic was crashing when i posted. so was unable to understand the whole concept. neither the link opened (damn slow net :x). doubts cleared now :smile:

BTW, why these 2 GPU bosses just release products without any announcement at least in the low/mid section. its like as if they don't care.

believe me i read the title and felt a gpu is coming which will lie between 6970 and 6990 :-D

looking at price difference, a GPU is possible.

58** also had that - 5830, 5850, 5870 ;-)

yes yes, missed the 58** line. thanks :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow! the gpu name is confusing - I though it's a typo

so after realizing it's not a typo here goes my pre-serach about this ;-)

here it says uit needs a single 6 pci-e pin power adapter :

Radeon HD 6790 to released on April 5th- Techpreview.in!!! - Lastest Technology News

but this says it needs double - confusing ;-)

Exclusive: Radeon HD 6790 based on Barts LE with 800 SPs - www.nordichardware.com

^^ stay tuned - those guys ^^ above said they will get exact info about power consumption by the last date of this time anyway.

It's not all rosy however, as the HD 6790 suffers from one of the same crippling flaws of the HD 5830 - high power consumption for the performance. As the HD 6790 is built around salvage dies, it requires a higher voltage than the regular Barts products to keep its clock speeds high sufficiently. The result is a 150W power consumption and requirement for 2x6-pin

UPDATED: AMD Radeon HD 6790 Specifications Revealed - VR-Zone.com

meanwhile - while we wondering about power consumption let us enjoy some cool pics and say some WoW ! ;-)

*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2011/March/General_News/sapphire_HD6790_3.jpg

pic courtesy of fudzilla.com

Sapphire's HD 6790 pixellized

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
looking at price difference, a GPU is possible.

just hoping something like 6980 comes to take on 580. because this price point is the only one left untouched by amd ;-)

topgear thanks for the links and pic. very nice.
hoping it comes with one PEG connector and is priced around 8k.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^arrey gaurav i know. i was thinking that this one - 27k is the only position left untouched by amd. so they should fill it too.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^arrey gaurav i know. i was thinking that this one - 27k is the only position left untouched by amd. so they should fill it too.

No more cayman gpu's will be launched this generation. Amd will focus on southern islands in Q4 2011 i.e 7xxx series.

Nvidia's counter- KEPLER.

Offtopic- Whats that signature in urdu jas?

rajan1311

Padawan
well, i feel this will be a rather fail card from amd....will be about 10% faster than the HD 5770, will take 30% more power and will be $10 more expensive......GIVE ME THE HD 6670!

means spambot has turned Overclocker ! ;)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
what you think, if one such card ultimately gets released, will it be a dual GPU or a single burning one?

nooooooooo. my 5-series card is not even 1yr old :x :-(

i think it will be a dual 6950.:razz:

No more cayman gpu's will be launched this generation. Amd will focus on southern islands in Q4 2011 i.e 7xxx series.

Nvidia's counter- KEPLER.

i know. i know. no harm in thinking.

rajan mentioned it.:p

well, i feel this will be a rather fail card from amd....will be about 10% faster than the HD 5770, will take 30% more power and will be $10 more expensive......GIVE ME THE HD 6670!

means spambot has turned Overclocker ! ;)

right rajan. i am going to push my cpu to limits maybe soon. :razz: :Fingerx:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just hoping something like 6980 comes to take on 580. because this price point is the only one left untouched by amd ;-)

topgear thanks for the links and pic. very nice.
hoping it comes with one PEG connector and is priced around 8k.

you are welcome buddy ;-)

I also want to see this card using only single PEG power connector ( damn ! they have intentionally posted the pics without power adapter ) but if the card is based on left over 6870 pcbs then I think they will use 2x peg power connector anyway.

If it comes under 8K it will just butcher HD5770 and GTX550 for sure ;-)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^erm...vicks wrong thread. you mistyped in two threads.

see AMD Radeon HD 6790 tipped to bring mid-range battle to GeForce GTX 550 Ti - SlashGear
*www.techpowerup.com/143120/AMD-Readies-Radeon-HD-6790.html
*www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/22273-amd-radeon-hd-6790-is-a-great-overclocker

6790 has 150w TDP (higher than 6850):-x
hope it doesnt turn up like that **** 5830!!:x

i am wondering why not 6830;-)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Oops sorry.

How can the 6790 have such higher tdp considering its low on paper than 6850?

Doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom