Alternate Web Browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I am currently using Firefox3.0.3 and Opera on intrepid, I want to try our other browsers as well ( no Google Chrome Please).
Currently installing Konqueror, will it work flawlessly on gnome?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Absolutely.. I'm using it since last 3 months.. it rocks.. make sure that you install konqueror-plugins from the package manager too.. you can even install Ad-blocking in it.. just google a bit.. you can also try Midori.. a webkit based browser.. got 100/100 in Acid 3..

Kahazekase. Must try before you die. Its gecko, but much lighter than firefox.

Epiphany is there in gnome as gnome's default browser, for a very good reason. Its better than firefox if you don't want all those extentions, looks and VBulletin WYSIWYG editing.

Konqueror is based on KHTML, and I think its better than Epiphany and most other browsers.

Midori too. Would give you an idea how WebKit feels like.

Then there is Dillo. Standard HTML files only.

For all those who love text browsing with Lynx, do try Links once. It supports mouse in console, but its a text browser. Damn cool one too, and easy to use.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Midori is really getting along nicely.
I suggest you compile from git , as there a lot of new additions from the last stable release.

also, there's Arora , its a Qt/Webkit based browser.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Installed Konqueror and its very stable on Gnome :), I havent been using Konqueror since I switched from Sabayon to Ubuntu ( for trial i.e., ;) ) . Actually I wanted to give a shot to webkit based browsers, Midori looks good enough ;).
And regarding safari!! will it work over wine? :p

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
midori rocks. It will be one of the top 3 (or 2) soon... As far as firefox goes, it is a memory hog. A BIG memory hog. (not as much as IE of course. Opera does not feel right, so I am using firefox for past 2 years or something. I still say, it is a HUGE memory hog <-- reason to tell this, 'NO FLAMING PLEASE').

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Installed Konqueror and its very stable on Gnome :), I havent been using Konqueror since I switched from Sabayon to Ubuntu ( for trial i.e., ;) ) . Actually I wanted to give a shot to webkit based browsers, Midori looks good enough ;).
And regarding safari!! will it work over wine? :p
Konqueror is a very good browser. Just that people always tend to associate it with KDE and shy away from using it. Its the baap of all the browsers!

And Safari doesn't work properly in WINE or crossover. Its all f* up. No point installing it.

midori rocks. It will be one of the top 3 (or 2) soon... As far as firefox goes, it is a memory hog. A BIG memory hog. (not as much as IE of course. Opera does not feel right, so I am using firefox for past 2 years or something. I still say, it is a HUGE memory hog <-- reason to tell this, 'NO FLAMING PLEASE').
I second that. Midori's got the potential to become "The Browser". I feel FF is just hyped. There are so many other good browsers out there!

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Konqueror is a very good browser. Just that people always tend to associate it with KDE and shy away from using it. Its the baap of all the browsers!

Konqueror didn't work well for me.

Safari is unable to open even google homepage with crossover on my computer, forget about opening anything else.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Konqueror didn't work well for me.

Safari is unable to open even google homepage with crossover on my computer, forget about opening anything else.
Were you not able to get it to run?

Yep, Safari has a lot of issues. Tho it works for me in Wine, the UI is all messed up!

ThinkFree

Technomancer
I think it was in Kubuntu 8.04 that whenver I tried to open any site , it asked me if I wanted to open it using firefox. If I clicked yes, the page opened in firefox, but if I clicked on NO, nothing used to happen. Didn't try to fix that problem.

@Charan: Konqueror supports WebKit too you know... And KHTML is lighter than webkit as per my own experience. And webkit is just a fork of KHTML. But the point is that you can use BOTH in Konqueror.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Konqueror needs a LOT of work. KDE4 will NEVER be a success (from my point of view) unless Konqueror has been improved a LOT. They are on the track, slightly off target though.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Kahazekase. Must try before you die. Its gecko, but much lighter than firefox.

I'm afraid it's not Kahazekase, it's actually Kazehakase (風博士). Japanese browser, works great with English too. :D But it has it's own share of problems too, hangs up sometime in Arch (I don't know if it's just me or anyone else is also having this problem) and I think it has memory leaking problems. Interstingly, it's author is planning to make it able to switch between different renderers on the fly, great idea.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
After a long week, im now free to try out the browsers, Konqueror, Kazehakase, Midori, Lynx, I tried them all :D , Midori was a disappointment , it was slow to load pages and rendering was pathetic :( , where as Kazehakase was super :D , fast and rendering was excellent :D, Konqueror was as usual at its best ;), also tired Lynx , though it has awesome speed, but practically useless for me :( .

Will experiment more with these browsers in comming days ;)

@Infra_laal_dude: Why do YOU want to run safari over wine when you can run it natively?!! :confused:

Thanks everyone for the inputs, please suggest some more browsers just for the records. This thread can be a good reference to others too.

You forgot the "bestest" best browser around - Links. Its similar to Lynx but with mouse support and a much better interface (wait a sec, it actually HAS an interface, unlike Lynx). Try it some day for TP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom