Alliance Broadband: Some queries?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I just contacted "Alliance Broadband",through our Local Cable Operator.Alliance Broadband operates its BB network through these local cable operators.
This is the prevailing system now at least in our area.

Local cable operator gave me the leaflet,which has the same data as on Alliance Broadband Internet service rates

Now Fresh/New Installment charge is Rs.1,500/- which has to be paid to local cable operator.

I've chosen the: Unlimited Reloaded--->Downloaders Delight--->PREFERRED package.

I have to shell out Rs.750+Tax.~Rs.850/- per month.

They said that no modem should be provided,but net connection has to be through "LAN Card" only.

Queries:

1. Will they provide network through RJ45 cable(ethernet cable)?

2. In that case what will happen to my setup: D-Link DSL-2520U(ADSL2+) modem/router + TP-Link WR740N Wireless Router ?

3. Will these devices be required no more?

4.Then how do I setup a wi-fi HOTSPOT with "Alliance Broadband"?Is it not possible,or are there other ways round?

5. How much reliable service is Alliance Broadband?

6. Should I keep my existing BSNL ULD950 Plan OR Should I move to "Alliance Broadband"?

All expert friends are welcomed for answering,particularly our net-expert friend whitestar.

Awaiting for replies Friends.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
5- No one can say that other than Alliance users. If you've a friend with that connection then go and see by yourself, just don't listen to anything good or bad.
6- You should keep BSNL. Period.
Use Alliance for at least one year, with that you'll understand their reliability on all seasons. I'm sure connection will be pretty unstable on rainy seasons, thunderstorms. If you see they are reliable then you can **** BSNL any time.

I just talked with my local cable here, they provide some Kailash cable. They said only one cable (just like your T.V. cable) will go and be plugged on your LAN port, I think where your RJ45 is connected atm. I'd also like to know how will one use Wi-Fi with this connection, without it it'd be pretty meaningless.

Last edited:
OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

5- No one can say that other than Alliance users. If you've a friend with that connection then go and see by yourself, just don't listen to anything good or bad.
6- You should keep BSNL. Period.
Use Alliance for at least one year, with that you'll understand their reliability on all seasons. I'm sure connection will be pretty unstable on rainy seasons, thunderstorms. If you see they are reliable then you can **** BSNL any time.

I just talked with my local cable here, they provide some Kailash cable. They said only one cable (just like your T.V. cable) will go and be plugged on your LAN port, I think where your RJ45 is connected atm. I'd also like to know how will one use Wi-Fi with this connection, without it it'd be pretty meaningless.
That's exactly my views which we share,mate.

I don't understand how a T.V.(digital) cable will be compatible with a RJ45 connector LAN port in a LAN card?

Pretty,CONFUSING...:confused::chinscratch:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
lan port in the back of a mobo is same as the one in back of any modem/router & people are using wifi router with cable broadband for a long time now.also all cable broadband services use ethernet only.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Also another thing, will one have to connect the broadband by putting username/password each time before a session, like dial up or those who use BSNL crappy modems? On mine or any Wi-Fi router afaik as soon as the 'link' light glows you're connected to net, as the router itself saves the user and pass, but what on this case?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
saving username/password is used for adsl connections(using phone line) not cable broadband but when using adsl modem in bridge mode it works just like dialup/entering username password to get connected.in cable broadband you are merely connecting to the lan of your cable ISP & by entering your username/password in their login page you are kind of authenticating yourself as a lan user allowed to access certain shared resources(in this case internet).MAC spoofing will take care of using wifi router to connect multiple devices with only thing remains to do is login once from any connected pc/laptop.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
So now I need to turn my PC on, connect to internet and I'll have to leave it on to be able to access via Wi-Fi from my cell, or am I getting it wrong?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have enabled mac spoofing option in router then once you login from pc/laptop as long as any one device remains connected to net it should not matter which device is turned off.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^but white star,the D-Link. 2520U ADSL2+ modem/router,has only 1 RJ45 port and 1 RJ11 port.
How to connect the Alliance Broadband cable,such that my existing setup at point 2). remains same?

Is it better to retain BSNL or do I need to switch over Alliance?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
D-Link 2520u will be useless for a cable broadband connection since it has only 1 lan port.this is why it is recommended to spend ~300 more & get an adsl modem with usual 4 lan ports.i have no idea about alliance since i never used it but i am using bsnl for past 2.5 years(combo 500 plan with night free) & it is working fine for my purposes as i use net mainly for downloading.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^In that case,is this a good product in lieu of D-Link DSL-2520U:

TP-Link TD-8840T DSL2+

for Alliance Broadband?

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

@whitestar_999,it seems and means,that the TP-Link TD-8840T DSL2+ modem/router could be used with Alliance Broadband network,isn't it??

Any users of Alliance Broadband network in this TDF ,please share your reviews/experience.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it should work fine as it is a router too but since you already have a modem i recommend getting a wifi router.this way you will have a setup(adsl modem+wifi router) which can be used for adsl connections like bsnl & for cable connections like alliance(wifi router+range extender).you can get this wifi router for a price less than that of 8840T:
TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^Friend, I already have it.

I already have these devices:1). D-Link DSL-2520U(adsl2+ modem/router which is my PRIMARY network device)

2). TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router(already connected to my PC and the DSL-2520U)

Both of the above devices are connected and set-up is working fine.Courtesy: YOU my Friend,who helped me a lot for the settting up of (adsl2+ modem + wifi router)

3). TP-Link TL-WA730RE Range Extender.

But if I opt for Alliance Broadband,I have to purchase the TP-Link TD-8840T dsl2+ modem/router,according to your suggestions and views,isn't it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no need to buy 8840 then.i somehow forgot about you already having 740N.btw in that range extender thread too i never considered that you were running 740N & i hope it wasn't connected to your desktop when you were trying to configure range extender via lan.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^But friend whitestar,I marked as:

^^but white star,the D-Link. 2520U ADSL2+ modem/router,has only 1 RJ45 port and 1 RJ11 port.

In reply you said:
D-Link 2520u will be useless for a cable broadband connection since it has only 1 lan port.this is why it is recommended to spend ~300 more & get an adsl modem with usual 4 lan ports...

My query was: IF-and-only-IF I switch to Alliance Broadband Network(which provides through Cable network),then the DSL-2520U can't be connected to the TP-Link TL-WR740N 150Mbps wifi OR with the cable(ethernet) provided by Alliance Broadband.This was according to your views and the logic also,since there is only 1 RJ45 port in D-Link DSL-2520U.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is true that you can't use dlink 2520u for cable broadband but you can use your WR740N since it is simply a router & any modem/router with more than 1 lan port can be used with cable broadband.
this way you will have a setup(adsl modem+wifi router) which can be used for adsl connections like bsnl & for cable connections like alliance(wifi router+range extender).

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

it is true that you can't use dlink 2520u for cable broadband but you can use your WR740N since it is simply a router & any modem/router with more than 1 lan port can be used with cable broadband.
Excellent,Friend, I got it and am clear now.
But,as the WR740N is simply a router(wireless) and not a modem,will it receive the Broadband network(simply INTERNET) from Alliance Broadband?
I mean the functioning of the modem is done by Alliance Broadband (or any other Cable Broadband company)through its own equipments(modems+routers+...)and send Internet through the cable(ethernet/RJ45 lan line)only. Am I correct,Friend???

Top Bottom