** All USB EVDO/HSDPA (3.5G) data cards or modems queries here **

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Re: USB DataCard advice!

Anyway, leave Photon, go with UMG1831, as you are looking for universal thing, and it'll be future proof. And as you have said above, you have so many SIM cards, so you can use whichever gives you good speed.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!

i get good speed from Airtel, DoCoMo and Vodafone at my place........please provide me a link for that device

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

I am using BSNL EVDO for the past 3 years, speeds vary wildly, but at least it works compared to Reliance, Tata, Airtel etc. And its unlimited. I have downloaded almost 2TB since start with this so that would probably give you some insight. These days I generally get a connection speed around 1 Mbps, so no complaints.

u live in Kolkata???????

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

Anyway, leave Photon, go with UMG1831, as you are looking for universal thing, and it'll be future proof. And as you have said above, you have so many SIM cards, so you can use whichever gives you good speed.

will i get TATA PHOTON+ like speed, if i use GSM sim cards with UMG1831 ????

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

UMG 1831 | eBay

will i get TATA PHOTON+ like speed, if i use GSM sim cards with UMG1831 ????

That can't be said.

I get around 256kbps @ office (Located near Camac Street)

I get approx .22mbps @ home using Vodafone 2G. (Tollygunge)

Around 1mbps to 1.5mbps @ BSNL 3G.

Approx 2-3mbps @ Vodafone 3G.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

anyone ever tried bsnl evdo? I'd love a review about it.
i am using bsnl evdo for the past 3 years, speeds vary wildly, but at least it works compared to reliance, tata, airtel etc. And its unlimited. I have downloaded almost 2tb since start with this so that would probably give you some insight. These days i generally get a connection speed around 1 mbps, so no complaints.

:) .

sygeek

Technomancer

Oh..That's great. The problem is I don't really know anyone using BSNL EVDO here, and thus the hesitation. Their service varies widely from place to place. Some people get humongous speeds while some are stuck at GPRS-like speed.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's the problem with EVDO. BSNL people say having a mobile tower nearby helps in getting good speeds. In Kolkata at my home, my EVDO simply couldn't connect to any tower and I also get very poor speeds in Micromax 2G modem with BSNL SIM. However, it works like a charm at my native place in Tamluk. So before getting EVDO you really need to know whether at your locality it works or not.

Otherwise it is really really good.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

That's the problem with EVDO. BSNL people say having a mobile tower nearby helps in getting good speeds. In Kolkata at my home, my EVDO simply couldn't connect to any tower and I also get very poor speeds in Micromax 2G modem with BSNL SIM. However, it works like a charm at my native place in Tamluk. So before getting EVDO you really need to know whether at your locality it works or not.

Otherwise it is really really good.

i'm still reluctant to buy that UMG1831 from ebay as krishnendu bro suggested. Can u please tell me, how good is that micromax USB modem that u r using?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Speed as per 2G standard is OK for browsing, not so OK for downloading, and you can forget about torrents. BTW, what's your requirements?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

i'm still reluctant to buy that UMG1831 from ebay as krishnendu bro suggested. Can u please tell me, how good is that micromax USB modem that u r using?
This looks dependable. But its 3400 there.
3G Modem Store- Buy 3G Modems in India-Buy 3G Datacards in India-USB 3G Modem-EDGE/GPRS/HSDPA/UMTS

Get it locally if you want.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

This looks dependable. But its 3400 there.
3G Modem Store- Buy 3G Modems in India-Buy 3G Datacards in India-USB 3G Modem-EDGE/GPRS/HSDPA/UMTS

Get it locally if you want.

thanks! But, why does they all have that T-mobile branding?

Speed as per 2G standard is OK for browsing, not so OK for downloading, and you can forget about torrents. BTW, what's your requirements?

i have a humble requirement of good browsing speed and interoperability! :p

Top Bottom