All Memory (Ram) related queries here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
xbonez said:
nopesy dopesy dude.....for best and sure performance in DC mode, they need to have same size, frequency AND all latency timings....getting all three matches is very difficult unless u take the same models.

Although I'am not sure about this but I believe in order to run Dual Channel all 4 rams have to be of the same bus speed (eg.667mhz each) and atleast identical amount of ram in slots 1 - 3 & 2 - 4 (Eg.1gb 667mhz on slots 1 & 3 while say 2gb on 2 & 4). Having said this I would believe that if everything is same on all the slots then the ram would run perfectly on DC.
As far as different vendors is concerned I dont think there is going to be too much difference apart from that of latency..

rb_kaustuv said:
Nope buddy no damage to the Mobo..
I have 2x512MB stick of DDR400 and 2x256MB stick of DDR266 ..
Now my 512 sticks sits in channels 1 and 3 and the 256 sticks in 2 and 4.
They run in dual channel mode but at the reduced speed of DDR266 .Thats the price i needed to pay to have 1.5GB RAM with the minimum expenditure.

Hope this helps..:D

Thanks buddy....and moreover I had confirmed this from Choto Cheeta so I dont think I should have any more doubts....

Last edited:

gulgulumaal

Broken In
xbonez said:
nopesy dopesy dude.....for best and sure performance in DC mode, they need to have same size, frequency AND all latency timings....getting all three matches is very difficult unless u take the same models.

Well...I did some research and it looks like a pretty controversial topic. Basically if you can the exact same RAM modules, it is sure to work.

From wikipedia...

A matching pair needs to match in:
  • Capacity (e.g. 1024 MiB). Certain Intel chipsets support different capacity chips in what they call Flex Mode, the capacity that can be matched is run in dual channel the remainder runs single channel.
  • Speed (e.g. PC5300). If speed is not the same, the lower speed of the two modules will be used. Likewise, the higher latency of the two modules will be used.
  • Number of chips and sides (e.g. 2 sides with 4 chips on each side).
Also it seems that there is not much real world difference in performance between single channel and dual channel mode.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
afaik they have to be of the same capacity n same frequency.... but some manufacturers provide perfectly matched rams for dual channel

xbonez

NP : Crysis
well, AFAIK, the more the matches, the surer u can be of running in DC mode....anyways, there is a reasonable diff in performance when running in DC

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
xbonez said:
well, AFAIK, the more the matches, the surer u can be of running in DC mode....anyways, there is a reasonable diff in performance when running in DC

okay we have been discussing on how to run dual channel...

Now we can see according to Wikipedia Dual Channel is:

Dual-channel architecture DDR/DDR2 SDRAM describes a motherboard technology that effectively doubles data throughput from RAM to the memory controller. Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a total bandwidth of 128-bits, to move data from RAM to the CPU.

Further:

Actual results
Tom's Hardware found no significant difference between single-channel and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and game benchmarks. Generally speaking, dual channel configuration is a very minor upgrade, and without other system tweaks, the difference may not even be noticeable. While there is no reason not to use dual-channel over single-channel, where all other things are equal, the question often comes up whether it is advisable to add additional RAM if doing so will break dual-channel compatibility. Having more total RAM available is generally more beneficial than maintaining dual-channel configuration.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dual channel setup gives u double the bandwith which is only shown in gaming but upto a little extent. There is no drastic change in dual channel performance. Dual Channel will give u a couple of more frame rates!

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Also would like to add that having odd number of RAM sticks makes the RAM run in Single Channel Mode.

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
Did a lot of shopping today...bought many things today which are listed in the Post what you purchased. thread. Among other things bought 3 x 512mb DDR 400mhz rams for a friend of mine and my brother. Bought them from Supreme Calcutta.

*img488.imageshack.us/img488/1287/dsc00831du1.th.jpg

Name: Tamkor (comes with 3 years of warranty but never heard about it)

512mb DDR 400mhz x 3 sticks @ Rs. 3900/- + 4% vat

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
One little tip, rather you can call personal TIP...

Those people who are buying new system now or running 1 GB DDR-II planing to upgrade their RAM needs, consider investing on 2 GB single RAM modules, though right now price may be a little high like Rs. 2600/- for 2 GB Transend DDR-II but it will allow option to add more ram later on... as its expected like 1 GB stick the 2 GB modules may hit low pricing :D

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
Choto Cheeta said:
One little tip, rather you can call personal TIP...

Those people who are buying new system now or running 1 GB DDR-II planing to upgrade their RAM needs, consider investing on 2 GB single RAM modules, though right now price may be a little high like Rs. 2600/- for 2 GB Transend DDR-II but it will allow option to add more ram later on... as its expected like 1 GB stick the 2 GB modules may hit low pricing :D

Thanks a lot Saurav for putting forward that point...infact after the discussion with you this morning I decided not to buy a 1 GB DDR-II stick instead wait and get a 2GB stick as soon as prices fall a bit...

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
but won't a single 2gb stick give lesser performance then compared to 2x1gb?
2gb sticks are advisable only if you're getting 2x2gb.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^^^

well even it will slow u down a little :p but the possibilites are so high that u can afford to run Single channel for few months :p

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^hmmm...I understand what you mean to say.Now I'll have to think.I was purchasing 2x1gb withih 1-2weeks.

Lols....I waited for 1gbddr2 prices to fall from 2.1k to now 0.9-1k and now I need to think more.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Price should not a factor as Rs. 2k for 2GB under 1x2 format where as it should be around 2.6k MAX for single 2 GB format....

there will be some performance drop but not like so much which can force u to face real problems... where as RUN x64 when u have more than 4GB to get optimal performance even if u are not running Dual Channel :)

RAM prices are usally high at Kolkata where as in south or west india i see prices are low

so I guess its around Rs. 2.2k to 2.4k for the 2 GB module... :)

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
also, another important tip, in fact VERY imp. - in case of RAM, always go for well known brands such as Transcend, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial etc. its best to avoid brands such as Hynix, Simtronics and other lesser known / chinese brands

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
xbonez said:
also, another important tip, in fact VERY imp. - in case of RAM, always go for well known brands such as Transcend, Kingston, Corsair, Crucial etc. its best to avoid brands such as Hynix, Simtronics and other lesser known / chinese brands

any specific reason for this...I have my girl friend's PC running fine with a couple of stupid local 256mb DDR 400mhz rams for the past 4-5 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom