All laptop related queries here!!!

To the ALL Laptop experts, My query Say if user upgrades their Ram to 12GB (4GB + 8GB), Isn't Ryzen 4000 series intelligent enough to assign first 8 GB (4GB + 4GB) portion to Dual Channel and remaining RAM (4GB) assign as Extra RAM?

I was eyeing into Vivo Book Flip 14 4500U with Correct Pricing and Proper Seller like 'Appario' (Not Khardiye etc) with proper stock, not 1-2 left which usually a defective item sourced from someplace else, but the above theory is not correct then there is no point of looking...

Start after 11:20

12GB is better capacity wise but not necessarily performance-wise

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Thanks! But I didn't get this. Are there 2 versions of 12 GB and 16 GB?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Almost all laptop makers are lazy. They don't want to spend some keystrokes to create specific pages for infinite variants they put out under a single umbrella brand/model. One can never be sure about specs until the model is in hand and you use special software to get all details. (for eg. the text I quoted from ASUS earlier does not mention soldered RAM specifically, only says 'onboard')

Some of the Vivobook models (may be out of stock at present) were listed with 8 GB RAM. So they would be upgradeable to 16 GB.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am not able to find any Ethernet port for this mentioned in spec. Is that correct?
Newer laptops are going towards 'thin and light' craze so much that they are skipping that.

Also unfortunately they tend to have lesser ports too so one cannot even connect USB adapters as much as needed.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
12GB is better capacity wise but not necessarily performance-wise

Very informative video,

I don't understand this, why laptop motherboards makers are not installing the 8GB module into the motherboard instead of 4GB? I mean at least for Ryzen 4000 series which get released 2020 - 4GB RAM for 2020 system, So when laptop manufacturer indulges into cost-cutting measure they can release the laptop with 8GB soldered RAM by the chipset manufacturer and one slot empty, and the user will add another 8GB once they get the machine - Yes I understand dual channel thing out of the box, Just put inside a label of warning 'Your PC came with Single Channel Memory installed. To unlock the full dual-channel potential, please install additional RAM, here is the specification."

In this way both parties are happy,

(A) Laptop manufacturer dish out in total 8GB RAM as they are doing now
(B) User who wants to 16GB RAM go happy with the additional 8GB purchase.
(C) Now those want to stick 8GB RAM they don't mind as their workloads not that RAM demanding, if required save it a little bit more and buy later.

Very informative video,

I don't understand this, why laptop motherboards makers are not installing the 8GB module into the motherboard instead of 4GB? I mean at least for Ryzen 4000 series which get released 2020 - 4GB RAM for 2020 system, So when laptop manufacturer indulges into cost-cutting measure they can release the laptop with 8GB soldered RAM by the chipset manufacturer and one slot empty, and the user will add another 8GB once they get the machine - Yes I understand dual channel thing out of the box, Just put inside a label of warning 'Your PC came with Single Channel Memory installed. To unlock the full dual-channel potential, please install additional RAM, here is the specification."

In this way both parties are happy,

(A) Laptop manufacturer dish out in total 8GB RAM as they are doing now
(B) User who wants to 16GB RAM go happy with the additional 8GB purchase.
(C) Now those want to stick 8GB RAM they don't mind as their workloads not that RAM demanding, if required save it a little bit more and buy later.
Cost cutting (50k laptops are usually $500 & those are cheap laptops) & trying to make their higher-end series look better (like Zenbook is better than Vivobook for Asus).

Also, most users will never open their laptop & install 2nd RAM stick on their own, so added advantage of dual-channel from the get go is good. Honestly, 8GB RAM is sufficient for most people who buy a multimedia laptop. I'm a heavy user, currently doing my job using my laptop & 16GB is fine for me (although I fill up 14-15GB at times).

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Newer laptops are going towards 'thin and light' craze so much that they are skipping that.

Also unfortunately they tend to have lesser ports too so one cannot even connect USB adapters as much as needed.
For some reason I am not comfortable not having an Ethernet port. Even though I am reluctant to buy Chinese models how is Lenovo these days? Do they have any amd based models?

For some reason I am not comfortable not having an Ethernet port. Even though I am reluctant to buy Chinese models how is Lenovo these days? Do they have any amd based models?

Lenovo & HP have been good enough with some well-priced laptops, unlike Dell which is just overpriced.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Supply issues right now. Lenovo S145 & S340 had good models once upon a time, now usually good models go OOS soon & I don't remember their model numbers.
I just checked out the models in Lenovo site and both are out of stock. They have only 3 amd based models( not good configuration) and all good Intel based one's are high priced. Back to Asus again.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I was just casually going through laptops ok both Amazon and Flipkart. It seems a majority of the models listed there are just out of stock.

Also, prices have been going rather high. Especially, nowadays one needs to shell out atleast 40K for a 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM Laptop with i3 10th gen!(or Ryzen)

This inflation of price and lack of availability of models with more RAM definitely feels like a matter of concern.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
*www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-14-...49?pid=COMFSKF9ZWGMFX4D&pageUID=1602384831277

After lots of head banging and searching online and offline (no Ryzen products are in stock with local dealers of both ASUS and HP) I have almost decided to go for this ASUS Vivobook 14 model.

But I am worried because there seems to be a nearly 10 K price difference between Amazon and Flipkart for this model.

What am I missing here? Seller is RetailNet.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
*www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-14-...49?pid=COMFSKF9ZWGMFX4D&pageUID=1602384831277

After lots of head banging and searching online and offline (no Ryzen products are in stock with local dealers of both ASUS and HP) I have almost decided to go for this ASUS Vivobook 14 model.

But I am worried because there seems to be a nearly 10 K price difference between Amazon and Flipkart for this model.

I don't think that's available in Amazon. Not able to find on Amazon

I have seen models with those specs at similar price from Acer & Lenovo at times, so its fine. That seller is an old one, so should be fine. I think its FK themselves who is selling it.

Top Bottom