All laptop related queries here!!!

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys,

I bought a hpdv6700 special edition notebook a week back. I have some queries about it, though they appear long, I tried my best to explain my questions in detail, I request you to answer them -

1) Do I need to charge my laptop for the first time for __ number of hours ??. I charged it initially for a couple of hours, I saw that its 95% charged. Then I unplugged it and started using it, and within 30mins, I saw the charge comedown to 80-85%...is that normal?..For how long will a 6 cell battery give power backup? ..I request you to provide some clear information on battery backup and charging.

2) Hard disk size is 250gb. But I see two drives here named localdisk(C) - 220 GB and HP_RECOVERY- 12 GB. So where is the other 18 GB??...I am sorry if my question is too naive but this is the first time I am using a harddrive of this big size with vista installed on it, so please tell me if that is how it is supposed to be.

3) Out of the 220 GB of Localdisk (C), around 55GB is already filled with vista and HP related stuff. But when I check the individual files, they do not occupy more than 25GB!!..is that because of some hidden files or something that ivent counted while checking???...how much space does vista occupy?..also the HP_RECOVERY drive is almost full. So out of 250 GB is my effective usage only around 170 GB ????.

4) I see a remote control holder kind of a plug point on the right, but I fail to understand how to place the remote properly there, coz when i try putting it inside I am unable to take it out easily. Is it for remote actually or is it for something else??..

Please answer these questions as soon as possible :) .

2) Computer manufacturers take one GB as 1000 MB and 1 MB as 1000 KB and 1 KB as 1000 bytes. Now
(1000(bytes)x1000(KB)x1000(MB)x250(GB)) / (1024(bytes)x1024(KB)x1024(MB)x250(GB)) = 232.83 GB

3)YOur missing space most probably be taken by SYSTEM RESTORE feature of Windows. Assuming u have VISTA, go to My Computer-->Properties-->System Restore and UNCHECK those drives you want to disable system restore on!

4) No idea

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hey guys!
help me in purchasing a laptop.
i want buy a hasslefree laptop, which'd not get attacked by viruses blah blah blah
my bf is insisting me to buy a Apple Mac mini, he says this laptop is immune to virus. he said that even if a virus is opened, it cant affect my files.
is it true?

What is your budget? Any preferrence over brands?

choudang

Padawan
I want to know a very simple answer for below mentioned laptops...

Can i use graphics card, does it has pci slot to use it

ThinkPad R61i 8932A87
ThinkPad SL400 2743AQ
Thinkpad SL500 274652Q
Lenovo Y410 775763Q
Lenovo Y410 775762Q
Lenovo N3000 0769AB2

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
there is a Asus .. external soln... a XG something... its not in india though.. i dont know much..a frnd of mine who is in animation told me..

*gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/asus-x...irst-external-laptop-graphics-card-226648.php

*www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/hands-on-with-the-asus-xg-station-external-gpu

pravesh nagar

Right off the assembly line
recently got aspire 4930 basic model but it is not suppporting win xp os and on installation showing blue screen error i have tried 2-3 xp cds

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
recently got aspire 4930 basic model but it is not suppporting win xp os and on installation showing blue screen error i have tried 2-3 xp cds
here u will get everything u need and will need..
*komku.blogspot.com/2008/09/acer-aspire-4925-4925g-aspire-4930.html
*komku.blogspot.com

williamkane

2) Computer manufacturers take one GB as 1000 MB and 1 MB as 1000 KB and 1 KB as 1000 bytes. Now
(1000(bytes)x1000(KB)x1000(MB)x250(GB)) / (1024(bytes)x1024(KB)x1024(MB)x250(GB)) = 232.83 GB

3)YOur missing space most probably be taken by SYSTEM RESTORE feature of Windows. Assuming u have VISTA, go to My Computer-->Properties-->System Restore and UNCHECK those drives you want to disable system restore on!

4) No idea

Hi Shwetanshu,

Perfect reply. Now I have answers to all my questions :). Special thanks for giving the calculation of how disk space works. I seriously didnt know this. And yes the remaining part of the memory has been occupied bcoz of the system restore. And for my fourth question, it is not a slot for remote but for express card (according to some people), whatever it is, it definitely answers my question there. Thanks again for your reply. But, I have some questions for you (call it the effect of your reply :D) -

1) Is that perfectly fine if I just uncheck system restore?. As in what are the chances of me saying "Ohno, I shouldnt have done that" sometime in future?..The reason I am asking this question is that I just want to know if system restore will ever be of use to me. I dont experiment much with OS, so i dont see the need to restore my settings anyday. Please answer.

2) I read in some forums that for HP DV6700 edition, we cannot install any other OS but we will have to use Vista alone. Is that true?.

3) I didnt get any Vista CD, so does that mean even if this Vista that I am using fails or something else happens, I cannot format my system and install fresh Vista again?. Arent they supposed to give me a CD as this effectively means I bought the notebook along with the OS?.

Three questions this time, but I am sure smart minds are all in here..Please respond soon :) .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) System Restore is necessary. It saved me many times. I take weekly backup of my windows drive using "Windows backup and restore" feature.

2) Most of the manufacturers stopped supporting XP. Either use Vista or use linux

3) If anything fails, there should be restore option. You need to check with the manufacturer about this. varies from brand to brand. For my thinkpad, came with xp and in boot up there is an option for error recovery. Very fast and effective.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
All Laptop Related Queries Here ! ! !

all of ur ques have been answered but for third, u said that u have recovery drive... as stated above u u must be getting recovery options during start-up.... that will help u sort of format ur system... it will make ur lappy in the same state that it came in! that means with default settings, default softwares and other ****!

Now my Query: I m planning to buy dell inspiron 1525 without OS (Free DOS is what they will be giving). Now if i want to install certain Dell Apps, can i download them from Dell Site and install them on my installation of Vista ??

If i want to buy Dell Remote separately after sometime, can i buy it and download the requisite application later and hence use it???

I m planning to install Ubuntu only at first but later on Vista when my bro returns!

williamkane

1) System Restore is necessary. It saved me many times. I take weekly backup of my windows drive using "Windows backup and restore" feature.

2) Most of the manufacturers stopped supporting XP. Either use Vista or use linux

3) If anything fails, there should be restore option. You need to check with the manufacturer about this. varies from brand to brand. For my thinkpad, came with xp and in boot up there is an option for error recovery. Very fast and effective.

Thank you Mr.Bond. I take your answer to question 2) like this - we can install ubuntu without any problems. So, system restore of great help to you. I didnt understand this weekly backup principle. Could you please elaborate on that?.

all of ur ques have been answered but for third, u said that u have recovery drive... as stated above u u must be getting recovery options during start-up.... that will help u sort of format ur system... it will make ur lappy in the same state that it came in! that means with default settings, default softwares and other ****!

Now my Query: I m planning to buy dell inspiron 1525 without OS (Free DOS is what they will be giving). Now if i want to install certain Dell Apps, can i download them from Dell Site and install them on my installation of Vista ??

If i want to buy Dell Remote separately after sometime, can i buy it and download the requisite application later and hence use it???

I m planning to install Ubuntu only at first but later on Vista when my bro returns!

Hello Shwetanshu, I didnt know that my other queries have been answered before, could you please give me a hyperlink for that?.

And for your question, what can be the issue there?. I think you are authorized to download stuff from dell site as soon as you have bought a DELL machine. Isn't that so?.

btw, for how much are you planning to buy this No OS laptop from DELL?. My friend is thinking about something similar, he loves Ubuntu and he wants only Ubuntu on his machine.

Last edited:

davidbeckham

Price of Compaq presario original battery and charger spare parts in chennai?

I own a compaq presario v3070tu laptop n i want to buy a genuine spare parts - a good battery and laptop charger . as both of them are beyond repair.

What is the cost of these two (in Chennai , India)?

Where can i get it here ?

Also please suggest for RAM and hard disk upgrades ..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Thank you Mr.Bond. I take your answer to question 2) like this - we can install ubuntu without any problems. So, system restore of great help to you. I didnt understand this weekly backup principle. Could you please elaborate on that?.

*www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/backup.aspx

Takes around 13gig of backup. have 400gb+ space and it's a very reliable method for me to keep the OS safe.

Takes less than 10 minute to restore os to previous stable state. no more reinstall's required.

aritrap

Mobile Addict
Is any spare battery which will give extended battery life, available for the Acer Aspire 4530. The Aspire 4530 is great VFM with a good price but the only problem is its low battery life. It is the only thing which is stopping me from going for this notebook.

If any battery is available, plz try to mention its price also.

choudang

Padawan
Can anyone know the prices of below laptops @delhi

ThinkPad R61i 8932A87
ThinkPad SL400 2743AQ
Thinkpad SL500 274652Q
Lenovo Y410 775763Q
Lenovo Y410 775762Q
Lenovo N3000 0769AB2

Answers appreciated

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I looking for Laptop for ~30K though can stretch budget to 35K but ~30K is preferred.

I want to avoid intel GMX 3100 but looking for some nvidia graphic on board like 9100M etc. While other feature I need that must have TV out. And yes, should have decent battery life.

Also, whatever it is I am looking for some latest config but decent .. shouldn't be based on some old chipset etc.

Lastly, this Lappy will be running Linux all the time hence do not want any preloaded OS..

I hope this query won't die with bunch of other queries.

fawks

Broken In
hello....
i wanted to buy a laptop wid a budget <50k having....
good processor preferably the 1 with intel centrino 2 platform..
3gb ram
250gb hdd
a good gpu which cn run high graphics game..(better if it is from nvidia 9 series)

-is hp dv5 and dv4 special edition vailable in indian market? what is the cost of these laptops??
i have heard that we can bargain with dell people by calling them..can u give me 1 such call center number???
which is a better lappy in the price range of <50k...dell or hp????
pls...suggest me satisfying the above config...u can even suggest me if a better config is available for that price range...basically i want a lappy wid very gud graphics

Top Bottom