All laptop related queries here!!!

mitraark

Decrepit
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is planning on buying a laptop in a few weeks. Will make a thread afterwards but wanted to know a few things before that:

Requirements are: Good screen, sturdy build. Office work, surfing, and some basic video editing then and now, no need for more cores and high clockspeeds. i5 would suffice.Budget is 50-80k, big range because im willing to spend more if required but i dont necessary want to spulrge on high specs without much need.

A few things:

RAM should be upgradable. Current requirement is 8 GB, may go for 16 GB if single slot available.

HDD should also be upgradable. I have a 1 TB SSD lying around, do laptops come with empty 2.5 bays ? Maybe just with an M2.

Screen is the greatest priority here. I really doubt brands like ASUS and Acer with the budget offerings with great specs, they almost always have below par displays even though the display specs say otherwise ( Saw a ASUS TUF Ryzen 5 laptop bought a few days back, screen was a downer. The screen on the HP Envy 13 is fabulous. )

Built I dont need sleek and portable, itd almost always be used as a desktop. Rather, a heavy built with good airflow would mean increased longevity.

Some considerations: HP Pavillion, Dell Inspiron, Lenono Legion

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is planning on buying a laptop in a few weeks. Will make a thread afterwards but wanted to know a few things before that:

Requirements are: Good screen, sturdy build. Office work, surfing, and some basic video editing then and now, no need for more cores and high clockspeeds. i5 would suffice.Budget is 50-80k, big range because im willing to spend more if required but i dont necessary want to spulrge on high specs without much need.

A few things:

RAM should be upgradable. Current requirement is 8 GB, may go for 16 GB if single slot available.

HDD should also be upgradable. I have a 1 TB SSD lying around, do laptops come with empty 2.5 bays ? Maybe just with an M2.

Screen is the greatest priority here. I really doubt brands like ASUS and Acer with the budget offerings with great specs, they almost always have below par displays even though the display specs say otherwise ( Saw a ASUS TUF Ryzen 5 laptop bought a few days back, screen was a downer. The screen on the HP Envy 13 is fabulous. )

Built I dont need sleek and portable, itd almost always be used as a desktop. Rather, a heavy built with good airflow would mean increased longevity.

Some considerations: HP Pavillion, Dell Inspiron, Lenono Legion
I don't think you will find good displays at that range. Most displays are made by BOE or LG & they have similar specs, mostly. 13" ultrabooks have good displays, but most good 15" displays in India are those 1080p 144Hz panels, rare at even 80k. Cheap 120Hz laptops have similar colour coverage like other 60Hz panels, usually 70% sRGB vs close to 100% sRGB on those 144Hz panels.

Other requirements are easier to meet. Gaming laptops do have factory installed M.2 SSD & have a free 2.5" bay. A gaming laptop like Lenovo Y540 should suffice & meet every requirement except for display (those 250 nit, 60-70% sRGB panels at 60Hz).

Wait for a month, if you can. Maybe new AMD Ryzen 4000 & Intel 10th gen laptops will be out by then. Prices of old laptops might fall. Once last year, Acer Helios 300 with i5, 1660Ti & 144Hz panel was on sale for 80k.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all, is there a restriction on importing laptop battery in India? Have you ever imported one yourself?
It is allowed as implied by below faq.
*www.cbic.gov.in/htdocs-cbec/faq
We want to import parts of lead acid battery from china however lead acid battery complete from china is facing anti dumping duty we plan to manufacture batteries here in india after importing only some parts and making some of them in india. Is it legal ?
Ans: In absence of any details as to what is being imported it is not possible to give any clarification. As regards importability/Anti dumping duty please make a reference to DGFT/Ministry of Commerce

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^^ AMD 4000 Series Laptop is yet to come/released in India. For that, you need to wait. Especially one of the CPU to look forward is Ryzen 7 4700 U.
All over the world experts are pretty optimistic about this.

*i.imgur.com/VMX8iHz.png

*www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Gaming Laptop

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Batteries are a PITA to import. Avoid at all costs.
What about a company sending laptop battery as replacement to a customer in India because technically the person is not buying but receiving the product & I am assuming other laptop manufacturers also get their laptop batteries from abroad only.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
What about a company sending laptop battery as replacement to a customer in India because technically the person is not buying but receiving the product & I am assuming other laptop manufacturers also get their laptop batteries from abroad only.
Almost every lithium battery shipment arrives in containers on ships and is then transported in either non-passenger cargo only flights or by land. What I'm frustrated about is that despite FedEx and DHL supporting such shipment officially (sources: FedEx 1 FedEx 2 DHL 1 DHL 2 DHL 3), the OEM's package in my case might get rejected before it is onboarded. :(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost every lithium battery shipment arrives in containers on ships and is then transported in either non-passenger cargo only flights or by land. What I'm frustrated about is that despite FedEx and DHL supporting such shipment officially (sources: FedEx 1 FedEx 2 DHL 1 DHL 2 DHL 3), the OEM's package in my case might get rejected before it is onboarded. :(
Where exactly will it be rejected? Also it is just one battery so protocol for handling it should be different than a shipment of batteries.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Any news for AMD 4500U Ryzen 5 (Base variant) Laptop released yet? I think this will be a great VFM machine with onboard graphics for everyday usage.
We're getting some launches here in Thailand. I guess India launch also soon

*www.tech-hangout.com/review-acer-swift-4-with-amd-ryzen-5-4500u-ultra-thin/

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
I wanted advice on laptops, is it good time now or better to wait?

Ready to wait for 1 or 2 months maximum as have retained my desktop for Work from Home purpose & have one 3.5 yrs old laptop.

Actually 40 to 45k is ideal budget,
Balanced requirement may be to play free games from windows store like asphalt etc & need Ram up-gradable at least till 16gb & SSD + HDD combo upfront or later to upgrade.
Need good battery life.

Out of following which is the best according to you [Price range of 50k to 55k]
1. HP Pavilion Core i5 9th Gen

2. Asus ROG Strix G Core i5 9th Gen

3.Asus VivoBook Gaming Core i5 9th Gen

4.MSI GF Core i5 9th Gen

Main purpose is for my 9 years old Nephew [Study from home] but we will be using it too for our work/ entertainment needs.

Many laptops from Asus vivobook series ryzen 3500 & core i5 8250U [SSD+ HDD combo] are priced quite high now on flipkart. Laptops which ppl got in 38k to 42k during sale period are now for 52-53k

Gaming is not at all priority but could not find anything better as of now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ready to wait for 1 or 2 months maximum
Then wait, even if you don't get any new models the prices should come down along with some deals etc. Also don't buy any laptop without ssd nowadays unless you want to get frustrated seeing your latest laptop running win 10 slower than your 5-6 years old laptop running win 7/8.1.
I am not sure if you really need 1050 for playing free games from MS store @SaiyanGoku @omega44-xt

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I wanted advice on laptops, is it good time now or better to wait?

Ready to wait for 1 or 2 months maximum as have retained my desktop for Work from Home purpose & have one 3.5 yrs old laptop.
You should wait. Ryzen 4000 laptop launch in nearing in India. And also, never get low end, 3 year old hardware in "new" laptops.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Is the price 59- 60k justified for Acer swift 3 with ryzen 4500u?
I guess there is not additional storage expansion.

Any idea when MSI modern 14 B4M ryzen 5 releases?
MSI modern 14 core i5 10th gen selling @55k so can expect ryzen 5 for less.

And

Is Acer Aspire 5 A515-43 worth @37k
512 ssd + 2tb expansion slot. Any price drop expected?

Top Bottom