All laptop related queries here!!!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Just a quick query, Those Avita Laptop's are any good in terms of longevity? And one model of MarQ?

Also like to know AMD Ryzen laptops got tendency to heats up ? Or Not ?
Like Whitestar said, don't waste money on those brands. As for AMD processors, the 4th gen ryzen mobile lineup is best option out there, even better than intel mobile counterparts but I doubt OEMs would introduce them in low budget laptops.

powerstarprince

In the zone
Hello guys, in general I wanted to ask is there a way to change my display name? Currently, it is read as shadow but I want to modify it to something else. I cannot find the option to do it under account settings. Somebody knows how?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Hello guys, in general I wanted to ask is there a way to change my display name? Currently, it is read as shadow but I want to modify it to something else. I cannot find the option to do it under account settings. Somebody knows how?
Only moderators and admins can do that.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
send me a PM

tinornit

Broken In
Currently using Lenovo T430s with Samsung EVO 250GB SSD.

Purpose: Browsing ( multiple tabs at a time like ...20-25 tabs), Youtube, streaming movies, document editing ( word, excel ).
and
ability to run my video coaching classes so need a good/decent camera...

Problem: the current T430s... It is slow...meaning: when I open multiple tabs and switch b/w apps and not a fluid, easy experience.
when i stream and switch b/w apps , browsers etc, it is not smooth and stuttering.

Is it worth upgrading to a laptop with i7 6th or 7th or 8th Gen?
or
Is it okay to just go for a laptop with i7 4th or 5th Gen CPU with 16 or 32GB RAM?

I just need a laptop which just is butter smooth for my day-to-day operation which i mentioned above.

I request members here, provide me recommendation. I do not care the laptop is latest; if the purpose gets met with a 4th or 5th gen CPU i will be getting a refurbished business class laptop with 16 or 32 GB RAM ...if that is what is needed.

Please help!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Purpose: Browsing ( multiple tabs at a time like ...20-25 tabs), Youtube, streaming movies, document editing ( word, excel ).
and

Problem: the current T430s... It is slow...meaning: when I open multiple tabs and switch b/w apps and not a fluid, easy experience.
when i stream and switch b/w apps , browsers etc, it is not smooth and stuttering.

or
Is it okay to just go for a laptop with i7 4th or 5th Gen CPU with 16 or 32GB RAM?

I just need a laptop which just is butter smooth for my day-to-day operation which i mentioned above.

I request members here, provide me recommendation. I do not care the laptop is latest; if the purpose gets met with a 4th or 5th gen CPU i will be getting a refurbished business class laptop with 16 or 32 GB RAM ...if that is what is needed.

Please help!
Please create a new thread and fill this:
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/questionnaire-for-laptop-notebook-purchase.156722/

and

or

Please help!
How much RAM do you have? 8GB is not enough for more than 8 tabs or so, currently my laptop's RAM usage is at 9GB with only Chrome in the foreground with 8 tabs. Considering you have an SSD, caching should work decently.

Try reinstalling OS, reset C: drive. I hope you are running Win10.

tinornit

Broken In
How much RAM do you have? 8GB is not enough for more than 8 tabs or so, currently my laptop's RAM usage is at 9GB with only Chrome in the foreground with 8 tabs. Considering you have an SSD, caching should work decently.

Try reinstalling OS, reset C: drive. I hope you are running Win10.
Currently 8GB, i5 3rd gen, 250GB Samsung EVO SSD bought ~4 years ago (so i assume it is not NAND or any new superior technology)

tinornit

Broken In

and

or

I just need a laptop which just is butter smooth for my day-to-day operation which I mentioned above.

I request members here, provide me a recommendation. I do not care the laptop is latest; if the purpose gets met with a 4th or 5th gen CPU i will be getting a refurbished business-class laptop with 16 or 32 GB RAM ...if that is what is needed.

Please help!
Thanks, everyone for your reply.
Learned a lot. I got your view that AMD is better as of now ( from other threads too)

However...

I will narrow down my criteria and my needs/purpose even more so that it is easier for you guys to help me!
I have some options for me:
- I am going to buy used business-class laptops (A grade) only. ( yes, I know the risks involved and consider the risks are covered)
- So, Not going to buy a first-hand laptop.
- Not going to buy AMD due to the above point as used AMD business-class laptops are not available.

I am expecting the laptop to do the following, at least for the next 5 years:

-multiple tabs open in chrome (let's say 20 tabs )
-stream live fitness video instructions and demonstrating via zoom or WebEx or another streaming medium.
- Netflix or amazon prime 720p streaming on TV
- Edit heavy Microsoft Excel files
- Edit Evernote and online storage sync and backup etc...

- Currently, I find the existing T430s with i5 with 8GB running Windows 10 struggles to do the above simultaneously or switch between those activities seamlessly and lag or stuttering.

Having said that:

Q1. Will a Lenovo T440 or T460 running i7 4th or 5th Gen with 16GB RAM suffice my needs?
or
Should I go for i7 6th gen or 7th gen and above with 16 GB to 32GB RAM? ( examples: Dell 7470 and upwards with i7 8th gen etc)
or
Should I get an HP z series laptop with i7 6th gen with 16GB RAM?

I usually find Lenovo's business-class laptop's build quality (heatsink / thermal dissipation designs) are much better than Dell or HP or others.

Requesting your input on the technical aspects of what to choose, given my constraints.
Thanks for your time.

Currently 8GB, i5 3rd gen, 250GB Samsung EVO SSD bought ~4 years ago (so i assume it is not NAND or any new superior technology)

Reinstall OS, fixes a lot of issues, wipe C drive completely (use reset OS functionality of Win10). Your problem seems like software issues. If your laptop has i5 3xxxM CPU, its performance is good enough.

I don't recommend used laptops for a simple fact that laptop's lifespan is questionable after the initial 3-4 years. Companies rarely have more than 3 years of extended warranty. Better to buy a cheap R5 3500U laptop for 40k, at least it will surely run fine for 3-4 years (unless you get extremely unlucky).

tinornit

Broken In
Reinstall OS, fixes a lot of issues, wipe C drive completely (use reset OS functionality of Win10). Your problem seems like software issues. If your laptop has i5 3xxxM CPU, its performance is good enough.
i did all these and only then coming to online forums!

tinornit

Broken In
I don't recommend used laptops for a simple fact that laptop's lifespan is questionable after the initial 3-4 years. Companies rarely have more than 3 years of extended warranty. Better to buy a cheap R5 3500U laptop for 40k, at least it will surely run fine for 3-4 years (unless you get extremely unlucky).
I added the line 'consider the risks are covered' especially for comments in these angles.
However, thanks for your input. ( I have purchased more than 25 used laptops since 2013 - A grade for my friends and family for basic usage and none of them has developed any systemic faults as of now; yes, I monitored each and every laptop)
so...
Purely from a technical standpoint, will a laptop with 4th / 5th i7 laptop with 16GB RAMmeet my needs and purpose which is slightly higher than day to day usage ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Purely from a technical standpoint, will a laptop with 4th / 5th i7 laptop with 16GB RAMmeet my needs and purpose which is slightly higher than day to day usage ?
Older i7s were maximum 4C/8T processors. Newer i5s are the same while being more efficient and running at higher clocks. AMD 4000 series ones are even better. I won't waste my money on old i7 laptops unless they were priced around 10-15k.

tinornit

Broken In
AMD 4000 series ones are even better. I won't waste my money on old i7 laptops unless they were priced around 10-15k.
Wow. Thanks.
I see you are saying AMD 4000 series of new laptops would meet my needs.
So, Consider if I widen my options to buy even new laptops with AMD...
Could you suggest some options? ( i was not following tech world and so rusty in terms of what is happening with AMD, Intel CPU world).

dissel

Cyborg Agent
^^ AMD 4000 Series Laptop is yet to come/released in India. For that, you need to wait. Especially one of the CPU to look forward is Ryzen 7 4700 U.
All over the world experts are pretty optimistic about this.

*i.imgur.com/VMX8iHz.png

*www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop

Last edited:
Top Bottom