All laptop related queries here!!!

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Value option if you don't mind 256GB ssd:
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-M409DA-EK146T-Integrated-Transparent/dp/B082PB9GDN/

512GB ssd:
*www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-14-...a-ek501t-thin-light-laptop/p/itm226532a78af60
(Says 2nd gen ryzen in heading and 3500U in description. :confused: )

There are no laptops with R5 4600U yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes no laptop with r5 4500u or 4600u except Acer swift 3 which retails @59-60k.

Vivo book has heating issues as per few reviews online and battery life is less. So I was thinking of the tuf series ryzen 3550h and radeon 560x around 45k.

I want to keep laptop atleast 4 to 5 years so do you think I should up my budget?
How is this Asus Tu A15, ryzen 4600h with n vida 1650, with 512ssd? @61000 but currently out of stock
Or
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop @64000 with 256gb ssd + 1tb HDD model.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
^^ If you can wait then maybe there is a chance all those earlier series laptops may see a price cut when more 4th Gen models are out.

I think all U series is for thin and light ultrabooks....H version gets double thread as well as more TDP wattage (for gaming and content creation purpose) than U version.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to keep laptop atleast 4 to 5 years so do you think I should up my budget?
For this,budget or not, you must have at least 3 years warranty & that is also why I prefer asus if there is a suitable model because asus sell 2 years extended warranty for just Rs.99 so practically 3 years warranty for free.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
@dissel
Initially thought we could wait but now we will require one more device by the month of July 2020.
Already have Asus pro p2430u with core i5 6200u but it feels sluggish now thanks to win 10 & HDD. Do not want to upgrade as it will be completing 4 yrs by September 2020. Can keep it for basic tasks.

Desktop is out of question due to space issue & need portability. I am looking for these H series as multitasking & desktop replacement.

@whitestar_999

No, Asus is offering total 2 yrs warranty @ 99 only for vivo books & zenbook. 3 yrs warranty is @999.

For ROG, TUF & vivo book gaming 3 yrs warranty @2499 while 2 yrs warranty @999.
Additionally there is MS office offer @999, 1 tb external HDD @ 1999 & some more offers if booked by 30 june2020
Visit following page for details...
Asus Offer Redemption | Laptop Offers | Warranty Offers | Asus Promo

@SaiyanGoku
I do agree but I am keen on getting H series CPU for heavy usage & moreover 9 yrs old growing kid can be lured in for gaming in order to keep him away from small mobile displays.
Kid inside me is also jumping . I was fascinated by car & bike race games during my school & college days. Exactly 20 yrs back my parents got us computer & played NFS 1 till Nfs underground 2 or ahead not sure, british rally, Completed Max Payne & few more till I had pentium 4 and Core 2 duo processor. Later as the graphic requirements got bigger I could not keep up the pace.

Is 560x is slightly better to nvidia gtx 1050. please confirm.

I seriously feel if I am investing 40-41k for ryzen 3500u now then why not get something bit more powerful by spending 46k.
60k worth laptop would surely be overboard for us.

There is nothing around 46k which I could find promising. We could have waited till year end in normal situation but I will have to take a call soon.

Coming from Asus commercial notebook I felt keyboard & track pad of tuf not that good but for other it's passable.

BTW thank you all for your suggestions & help.

Edit.
I also want to run virtual machines VM ware and run few Linux distro.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, Asus is offering total 2 yrs warranty @ 99 only for vivo books & zenbook. 3 yrs warranty is @999.
Yes forgot about that but that 3 years warranty is same as total 3 years warranty & not 1+3.
*asuspromo.in/terms
  • Maximum warranty on any ASUS PC Product will remain 3 Years (36 Months), in this offer, the product with 1 Year base warranty can be upgraded with additional 2 Years extended warranty and 2 Years base warranty products can be upgraded with additional 1 Year extended warranty

Also for running VMs you need at least 16gb ram.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Hey guys,
Looking to buy a new laptop for mom for browsing and word processing. What is the minimum we could spend? The last laptop with 4 gigs of ram was used for 5 years, so I was thinking we should get at least an 8 gb ram Laptop this time or an SSD. but prices seem much higher than 25k.

So how much should we be looking to spend- minimum for a lptop to survive 4-5 years? Any suggestions? preference is for lighter laptops.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,
Looking to buy a new laptop for mom for browsing and word processing. What is the minimum we could spend? The last laptop with 4 gigs of ram was used for 5 years, so I was thinking we should get at least an 8 gb ram Laptop this time or an SSD. but prices seem much higher than 25k.

So how much should we be looking to spend- minimum for a lptop to survive 4-5 years? Any suggestions? preference is for lighter laptops.
First of all I doubt you can buy a good laptop nowadays that can survive 4-5 years without being lucky. Best you can do is buy as much extended warranty as possible. Ssd will help much more than extra 4gb ram.
*www.amazon.in/HP-Pentium-14-inch-W...8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-4

*www.amazon.in/HP-cs0018TU-Light-Pe...8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-5

For more suggestions I suggest creating a separate thread.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
First of all I doubt you can buy a good laptop nowadays that can survive 4-5 years without being lucky. Best you can do is buy as much extended warranty as possible. Ssd will help much more than extra 4gb ram.
*www.amazon.in/HP-Pentium-14-inch-W...8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-4

*www.amazon.in/HP-cs0018TU-Light-Pe...8609960031&rnid=8609959031&s=computers&sr=1-5

For more suggestions I suggest creating a separate thread.
I have had 16 gigs on my system that I don't even know what 4 gb feels like. I hope Windows 10 won't crawl on 4 gb ram?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had 16 gigs on my system that I don't even know what 4 gb feels like. I hope Windows 10 won't crawl on 4 gb ram?
It will if your usage exceeds the basis threshold. Well with ssd the impact will not be as severe because of pagefile having good random 4k read write speeds on ssd. Since you mentioned this laptop for your mom so I am assuming her usage will remain within basic threshold or even if it crosses then ssd should minimize the impact to an unnoticeable degree.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Looking a laptop for one of my acquaintances. He's a teacher and want a laptop to teach from home (due to working from home situation). But it will also be used by his son for finding jobs (and who is not into gaming or IT). So a basic configuration would suffice.
However, I do want them to have a laptop that can be future proof. So decided to go for SSD, even if no HDD. And 8 GB RAM.

One laptop caught my eye: ASUS VivoBook X510QA-EJ201T
*www.amazon.in/dp/B07XZJCS65/

I didn't get much models in my search which had 8 GB RAM and 512 SSD under 30k. So the above laptop seems good although I am not sure about AMD processor.

Any thoughts?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Looking a laptop for one of my acquaintances. He's a teacher and want a laptop to teach from home (due to working from home situation). But it will also be used by his son for finding jobs (and who is not into gaming or IT). So a basic configuration would suffice.
However, I do want them to have a laptop that can be future proof. So decided to go for SSD, even if no HDD. And 8 GB RAM.

I didn't get much models in my search which had 8 GB RAM and 512 SSD under 30k. So the above laptop seems good although I am not sure about AMD processor.

Any thoughts?
I think so going with AMD Ryzen 3 based laptops is good and best regarding price to performance ratio and per dollar/rupee ratio.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ So you mean, this A12 based laptop is not good? And that I should instead look for Ryzen 3?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Any thoughts?
That specific CPU is 4 year old (definitely not "future proof") and based on 28 nm process. In contrast, intel has been using 14nm for past ~6 years.

R5 3500U is more than a year old and laptops with 4000U series APUs should get launched soon enough. Being stuck with 4C/4T processor is not something I would recommend in any budget.
*www.notebookcheck.net/R5-3500U-vs-A12-9720P_11161_9192.247596.0.html

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
That specific CPU is 4 year old (definitely not "future proof") and based on 28 nm process. In contrast, intel has been using 14nm for past ~6 years.

R5 3500U is more than a year old and laptops with 4000U series APUs should get launched soon enough. Being stuck with 4C/4T processor is not something I would recommend in any budget.
*www.notebookcheck.net/R5-3500U-vs-A12-9720P_11161_9192.247596.0.html
Yes rightly said.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never go for a laptop without ssd nowadays & do not buy any laptop with amd-A series processor. Better keep a budget of at least 35k if you want a good laptop with reasonable config to run successfully for next 3-4 years at least.

Being stuck with 4C/4T processor is not something I would recommend in any budget.
It is good & recommended but not required for many usage cases. Someone doing just typical browsing,watching videos,some occasional MS office like work can do with a 4C/4T processor for next 3 years easily.:)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It is good & recommended but not required for many usage cases. Someone doing just typical browsing,watching videos,some occasional MS office like work can do with a 4C/4T processor for next 3 years easily.:)
Rightly said. If gaming is not a major usage, I think having an SSD is more important than a beefy processor.

And I am having trouble finding any better laptop than ASUS VivoBook X510QA-EJ201T that is also in stock.
Is it fine then?

Top Bottom