All laptop related queries here!!!

Hrishi

Least ? Not at all. i3 is good enough, i5 being max you can use. In high end games, it's the GPU which is bottlenecked, not CPU; especially in case of mobile GPUs.

In high end games , specially in Multi-Player modes a better CPU will always deliver better frame rates.
Consider checking out BF3 in MP mode , on Ci3 vs Ci5 with same GPU.

Although in casual games you might not notice major difference b/w Ci3 and Ci5 , but still due to higher clock speed and Turbo , I5 will perform better than I3.
Apart from that , its not just gaming that matters. You''ll notice considerable difference b/w i3 and i5 in non-gaming applications.

I would still go for a Core I5 at least , if its under my budget.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
In high end games , specially in Multi-Player modes a better CPU will always deliver better frame rates.
Consider checking out BF3 in MP mode , on Ci3 vs Ci5 with same GPU.

Although in casual games you might not notice major difference b/w Ci3 and Ci5 , but still due to higher clock speed and Turbo , I5 will perform better than I3.
Apart from that , its not just gaming that matters. You''ll notice considerable difference b/w i3 and i5 in non-gaming applications.

I would still go for a Core I5 at least , if its under my budget.

Well, MOST of the games are GPU dependent. CPU taxing games are very few and that too when you play them at ultra-high resolution with all eye candies, which most mobile GPUs are highly incapable of doing. You take almost any game, and test with a low end CPU + High end GPU VS high end CPU + low end GPU; better GPU will be of course better. Also this doesn't mean that CPU does not matters, it does matters, but not as much as GPU. You should always "balance" the config. Plus, it's not logical to compare mobile gaming to the scale of BF3 as it belongs to the extreme category which laptop gaming is certainly not targeted for. (at least mainstream "gaming" laptops for god sake)

Also, there are very few applications which an average user uses, which gets a decent bump in performance by using i5 vs i3. Again, it's user specific.

PS: I'm not trying to stop you from getting an i5, but just stating the facts.

a2mn2002

keen to learn..
I have a some queries :
1. For playing games like Manhunt 2 mafia II NFS Shift med -high which one is better " 3rd Gen i3 + 7670m/6** OR 3rd Gen i5 + Intel HD 4000 @ 40k
2. Laptops which have no physical left right buttons in touchpad , are good or not. ?

Hrishi

I have a some queries :
1. For playing games like Manhunt 2 mafia II NFS Shift med -high which one is better " 3rd Gen i3 + 7670m/6** OR 3rd Gen i5 + Intel HD 4000 @ 40k
2. Laptops which have no physical left right buttons in touchpad , are good or not. ?

I would go for a Discrete GPU + CPU setup for gaming. The reason why I won't insist on going for i5+HD4000 is because the entire load will be on the CPU die while gaming , thus causing too much heat in the package , might lead to overheating if playing nfs-shift or nfs-hot pursuit like games at medium settings. ( I am not 100% sure , but I think this can happen if the iGPU+CPU gets too stressed.)
If you go for the DGPU+CPU setup it'll be better. (Load sharing.)

But @40k , I think you can get an I5+630m or equivalent , which will suffice for more than casual gaming.

Hrishi

Acer Aspire V3 571G Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Linux/ 1GB Graph) (NX.RZJSI.006) - Acer: Flipkart.com

Dell New Inspiron 14R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com

*www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g4-2049tx-laptop-3rd-gen-ci5-4gb-500gb-dos-1gb-graph/p/itmdf3cknqtzdkgh?pid=COMDF3CGGZRKGMFN&ref=717c5a50-9411-4e43-9880-a64ebf0e7029&srno=t_1&otracker=from-search&query=2049tx

There are several other laptops too in this price range , but depending on your usage.
Some laptops come with 2GB of VRAM , instead of 1GB . That extra 1 GB VRAM is of no use unless the GPU is a high end or you are using multiple monitor setup.

Last edited:

a2mn2002

keen to learn..
Acer Aspire V3 571G Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Linux/ 1GB Graph) (NX.RZJSI.006) - Acer: Flipkart.com

Dell New Inspiron 14R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com

There are several other laptops too in this price range , but depending on your usage.
Some laptops come with 2GB of VRAM , instead of 1GB . That extra 1 GB VRAM is of no use unless the GPU is a high end or you are using multiple monitor setup.

I need 15 incher. U got this model so plz provide me a review. Noise and heat and battery life while gaming is my concern.

Hrishi

I need 15 incher. U got this model so plz provide me a review. Noise and heat and battery life while gaming is my concern.

I have a different model of Acer V3 571G but similiar design and looks.
Since mine is I7+640m so , it has to heat up at heavy games. But temperature stays under 90C at max. The cooling system and vents are placed well so its effective.
As far as noise is concerned , that only happens when running at full blast.

pratik385

In the zone
Hi!

Greetings, after a while coming to this section :)
Any recommendations for below request?

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
INR within 50,000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
14"-15" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Any reputed brand

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
This is a gift for my sister. She won't play any games. Mainly watch Movies, listen to music and surf on Internet.
One thing though, It will be good if Laptop has a good battery backup and should be light weight (Not heavy/bulky).

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Resolution HD- 720/1080p & glossy/matte - wont matter

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Store/Online

Thanks in advance guys :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I would go for a Discrete GPU + CPU setup for gaming. The reason why I won't insist on going for i5+HD4000 is because the entire load will be on the CPU die while gaming , thus causing too much heat in the package , might lead to overheating if playing nfs-shift or nfs-hot pursuit like games at medium settings. ( I am not 100% sure , but I think this can happen if the iGPU+CPU gets too stressed.)
If you go for the DGPU+CPU setup it'll be better. (Load sharing.)

But @40k , I think you can get an I5+630m or equivalent , which will suffice for more than casual gaming.

i3 + 7670 > i5 + 630M

Hrishi

i3 + 7670 > i5 + 630M
7670~630M. [ A mere difference of 2-5%. Some games benefit from 630m while some from 7670m.]

Doesn't matter whether one gets a 7670m+Ci3 or 630m+Ci5 , won't notice any major difference in gaming. It'll almost be same.
Whereas getting a better CPU is always a good idea , if willing to spend the money.

No offense , but you seem to insist more on Ci3 than Ci5.
Fortunately there are Ci5+7670m based laptop in market as well.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
7670~630M. [ A mere difference of 2-5%. Some games benefit from 630m while some from 7670m.]

Doesn't matter whether one gets a 7670m+Ci3 or 630m+Ci5 , won't notice any major difference in gaming. It'll almost be same.
Whereas getting a better CPU is always a good idea , if willing to spend the money.

Yes, the difference is not much, but seen from a gamer's point of view, where GPU matters the most. And lastly, as you said, if willing to spend the money, then no doubt i5 is better.

No offense , but you seem to insist more on Ci3 than Ci5.
Fortunately there are Ci5+7670m based laptop in market as well.

Same reason as above. If you are willing to spend money, then i5+7670 is better, but only if you are so willing to spend more.

PS: How much performance gain are going to see in i3 + 7670M vs i5+7670M. So, if VFM is taken into account, prior will win. :)

pratik385

In the zone
Hi!

Greetings, after a while coming to this section :)
Any recommendations for below request?

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
INR within 50,000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
14"-15" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Any reputed brand

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
This is a gift for my sister. She won't play any games. Mainly watch Movies, listen to music and surf on Internet.
One thing though, It will be good if Laptop has a good battery backup and should be light weight (Not heavy/bulky).

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Resolution HD- 720/1080p & glossy/matte - wont matter

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Store/Online

Thanks in advance guys :)

HP 4540s ProBook.

Hi topgear
is this for me?
also will i5 and 8gb ram required for entertainment only? i3 and 4gb will be enough
any light weights? envy series?

nikufellow

In the zone
So after reading the you guys's posts I've concluded that there is a Significant difference in performance between i3 and i5 but i3+8750m would be better and more future proof in terms of gaming than an i5+7670m..... Right?

tkin

Back to school!!
So after reading the you guys's posts I've concluded that there is a Significant difference in performance between i3 and i5 but i3+8750m would be better and more future proof in terms of gaming than an i5+7670m..... Right?
i3 and i5 are architecturally same in the mobile market, just that i5 can turbo to higher clockspeeds, get i3+8750, make sure its i3xxxxM and not i3xxxxU, U stands for ULV and that's a cr@p processor.

Hrishi

Significant only when it comes down to single core operations. I.E. for apps/games that utilize only 1 core at a time. THe turbo clocks it upto 3.3Ghz in single core mode.
But when both the cores are in use , they perform on same level .

Top Bottom