All configuration (new and upgrades) related queries here

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Thanks a lot Digitized,
Please don't get annoyed But there are many like me who knows little about right kind of hardware.
Please tell me what is the use of SLI , actually what does it signify.
What is the difference bet DDR and DDR II which is better.

In AMD dual core there are other series also like optron etc.Are the betterthan athlon.

I did not understand "SLI mode is x8/x8, not x16/x16,"
Please explain

Do i need to purchase graphic card right now. there isn't on bord support for graphic which solve my purposes temporarily.

A AMD delear in Surat has combined AMD 3800+ Dual Core with ASUS A8N-VM CSM
How is that combination

Please assist me to make best PC

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@tusharlad: Let me try to answer your queries one by one.

SLI stands for Scalable Link Interface. This is the technology developed exclusively by Nvidia to use two similar graphics cards together to build a more powerful system. But not all nvidia graphics cards are SLI capable. Only the 6600 series onwards are and that too they must be PCI-express...Also many people have different opinions about SLI. It is true that if you invest in two graphics cards, the combined price of the two will get you a better one. There's always something better than the best, you know. See here for more info:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

DDR stands for double data rate and is loosely referred to RAM frequencies. On the other hand SD stands for synchronous dynamic. DDR frequencies range from 266MHz to 400Mhz. SDRAM frequencies were 66Mhz, 100Mhz, 133Mhz. SDRAM technology was used in the days of pentium III. P4 onwards, we are using DDR RAM of different frequencies. See here also:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_data_rate
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDRAM
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_RAM

AMD dual core CPU's are one of the best CPU's around, even better than Pentium D's. And in the higher end of the dual core tree is the AMD opteron series. Those are usually used in servers and are expensive. The latest dual core CPU from AMD is the FX-60 dual core and retails for more than $1100 in the US. But for our use, a 3800+ X2 will serve our needs more than enough. Can see here:

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_X2

PCI-ex graphics cards' slots frequency are usually expressed in x16, whereas the last of the AGP were 8X capable. As I have mentioned, in order to use SLI you have 2 PCI-ex cards. Now each PCI-ex card is x16. Taking the case of Asus, leaving the A8N32-SLI deluxe, in all other SLI m/b's, when two cards are inserted, they operate at half their speed, i.e x8/x8. In A8N32...that is not the case, it operates at full speed, i.e. x16/x16. I hope I was clear.

You want a gaming machine, on board graphics will not be enough in 2006. At least a 6600GT...But there are excellent boards available which have on-board solutions, like Asus A8N-VM CSM or MSI RS482M2. They have PCI-ex slots too, in case you decide on adding a graphics card. But since you r purpose is different, you can get the Asus A8N-E, and a graphics card to suit your needs. Recommendations are:

6600<6600GT<6800GS<7600GT<7800GT and so on, ranked according to performance. What's your budget for the graphics card?

soumen nath

Right off the assembly line
I am going to buy a PC around 20k. It will be used mainly for home ( not for high end gaming). Internet surfing and some official works. Intending to buy AMD based 64 bit processor, 512 MB DDR RAM, 80 GB SATA HDD, DVD RW. Please suggest me the best possible configuration. Should I install a Graphics card, If Yes, then mention the type.I do not need speaker system.

soumen nath

Right off the assembly line
I am going to buy a PC around 20k. It will be used mainly for home ( not for high end gaming). Internet surfing and some official works. Intending to buy AMD based 64 bit processor, 512 MB DDR RAM, 80 GB SATA HDD, DVD RW. Please suggest me the best possible configuration. Should I install a Graphics card, If Yes, then mention the type.I do not need speaker system.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
soumen nath said:

1-m/b: Asus A8N-VM Rs.3850
2-Processor: AMD 3000+ (939) Rs.5400
3-HDD: 80GB Seagate SATA Rs.2500
4-RAM: 512MB (transcend or Corsair or Zion) DDR RAM of 400Mhz Rs.2000
5-Optical drive: Sony DVD writer DRU820A Rs.2700
6-Cabinet: Decent one with 400W SMPS Rs.1500
7-Optical mouse and MM keyboard Logitech Rs.550
8-15" ordinary monitor (Samsung) Rs.4000

Total: Rs.22500

This is a configuration with the least price I could get. Since this machine will be only for office tasks, no need is there for installing a separate graphics card. But I have one question though. Is the DVD-writer really required? Won't the combo drive suffice your needs? It is very difficult to configure a decent machine under 20k. If you take the combo drive then the price will be under 22k. I have taken all minimum components. Please let us know.

ashfame

Padawan
Why so much of digit members recommend AMD processors even if one can buy a Intel pentium D (dual core) in that price?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
But Intel Dual core proccy's are way cheaper. They offer a much better price/performance ratio than AMD Dual cores.

All this while I have been recommending AMD to people. But this budget offering from Intel made me reconsider. I think the best proccy you can have is a Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz. It costs less than Rs. 6000. Couple this with a decent 945/955 mobo and you'll have one hell of a rig. In gaming it will lag slightly behing a Athlon64 3000+ costing Rs. 5500 but it will be better at most other jobs especially if you multitask. Plus your gaming performance is more dependant on your graphics card rather than the processor. Go dual core now and enjoy the benefits later when games are coded especially for dual core CPU's.

If you have the right mobo and decent cooling, you can even OC it from 2.66 GHz to 4.1 GHz.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I have an XFX GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3 graphics card and it is SLi capable. If I buy one more and install it, will I get a significant boost in performance? I will use my PC for high end 3D rendering and animation using 3DsMAX, MAYA, etc. Do I need one more card for the purpose? I bought my card about a month ago, approximately how much can I expect if I sell it second-hand?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You can't buy another card and run it in SLI because your mobo dosen't support SLI. If you are happy with the cards performance in 3d rendering then why upgrade?

mAYHEM

Journeyman
I am going to buy a new PC.Can u recommend me a decent mobo for AMD X2 based on nvidia 6150+n430.Is it better then Ati and Via chipsets.Secondly a best performer SATAII hardrives maybe 2x120 or 2x160 GB.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
mAYHEM said:
I am going to buy a new PC.Can u recommend me a decent mobo for AMD X2 based on nvidia 6150+n430.Is it better then Ati and Via chipsets.Secondly a best performer SATAII hardrives maybe 2x120 or 2x160 GB.

Asus A8N-VM CSM will satisfy all your requirements.

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Thannk You Very Much, Digitized ,
You have enlightened me much, I will go through the reference you suggested, and will return again if there will be any query .

Thanks again

ritwickgupta

Broken In
hi techies
i went to a vendor for my pc n he told me that asus a8n-e does not support x2 processor (amd). is that true??? if yes then which non sli n without onboard graphics mobo shud i go for??? give the price too

i asked rashi for 7900gt n they told me they hav too models
one is 18500 rs 450 engine clock n 1650 mem clock
other is 22500 rs 560 engine clock n 1300 mem clock

which 1 shud i go for keeping in mind the price difference.
is second one the overclocked edition of 1st one??? wot can we cange in a gpx card while overclocking????

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
ritwickgupta said:
hi techies
i went to a vendor for my pc n he told me that asus a8n-e does not support x2 processor (amd). is that true??? if yes then which non sli n without onboard graphics mobo shud i go for??? give the price too

which 1 shud i go for keeping in mind the price difference.
is second one the overclocked edition of 1st one??? wot can we cange in a gpx card while overclocking????

Your vendor is not technically sound. Search for another one. A8N-E does support x2 processors.

*in.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=171&model=455&modelmenu=1

This is your safest bet. Must get that, if not using SLI.

By the way, which model is your vendor referring to. I did not find a single 7900GT with 450/1650 and 560/1300. There is one 560/1650 and another 450/1320. I am assuming since you asked Rashi, it is from XFX. Please clarify. You can see this page for yourself and clarify yourself.

*www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=185563&productId=185994

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
If you have the guts to overclock, then you can buy the lower clocked one and o/c it to 560/1650 using rivatuner. It will be cheaper too. Otherwise buy the higher clocked one and use it. Performance will be obviously greater in the higher clocked one. It all depends on how much the pocket permits.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
digitized said:
Asus A8N-VM CSM will satisfy all your requirements.
wht about the harddrive.Does A8N-VM CSM has 6 or 8 ch audio.Bcoz the board with same chipset states 8ch audio.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Wow .... 7900GT for 18-22 k's ???? really ???

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Old intel heart needs new body!

Hmm.......... MS going to release Vista and all software giants making hardware exhausting Games ,software and this advancement is causing a great problem to my old computer to work with them ..................and forced me to have a transplantation of my old mobo i.e orignal i845 GVSR but there r some queries in my mind:-
Currently my system consist of orignal i845 GVSR mobo with a Intel PGA 468 socket 2.8 processor ,256MB of RAM,40 gb PATA HDD with on board graphics but in today's context I am not able to cop up with new softwares and planning to change my mobo (i know this will only cause a little of performance increase but will be buying a brand new dual core machine after 6 months).Dear frnds plz suggest me a mobo with keeping following features in mind
1.Support's Intel PGA 468 socket 2.8 processor.
2.AGP 8x slot
3.SATA
4.Firewire(optional)
5.Onboard Graphics and LAN

suggest me a gud performance RAM also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom