All configuration (new and upgrades) related queries here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritwickgupta

Broken In
Hi techies……..
I am a first engineer student in pune. I want to buy a computer…assembeled. My pusposes r intensive gaming, movie watching , music ..in short all that a computer can do. My budget is around 75k. I hav to buy everything that a comp needs. Price indicated below is wot I got from a dealer.
So lets start from the beginning…..

1. MOTHERBOARD….
Asus a8ne coz I m going for amd based system. Does this board has 5.1 output?????. Rs 5000

2. PROCESSOR
AMD dual core 3800+ Rs 16500

3. HARD DRIVE
160-250 gb hdd at least 7200 rpm n 8 mb buffer sata II Rs 3600-4500

4. 1 gb ram…512*2……suggest me the brand Rs 5000

5. liteon dual layer dvd writer Rs 2700

6. SPEAKERS
Logitech Z5300 (5.1) Rs 11800… cant resist it. I m an audiophile n it is a blast.

7. CABINET ( can spend at most 5000 on it)
550 w smps suggest brand
vip 1122,g200,g300???( confusion)

8. MONITER
17” CRT or TFT ( brand will b viewsonic)
viewsonic tft 17”…Rs 13500 ( 8 ms response time)
viewsonic crt 17” flat (rs7000)

8. MOUSE n KEYBOARD
G5 mouse Rs 3700 ( wanted to buy mx 518 but dealer told that its production has stopped.)
LOGITECH gaming keyboard Rs 3500

9. UPS
Ne nice ups of abt 3000

10. Now comes the most difficult part THE GRAPHICS CARD
I’ll b goin for a pci-e card of abt Rs15000

Models that I hav in mind r 6600gt,6800gs,6800gt,7600gt for nvidia
N x800xl,x800xt,x1600 for ati.
A tv tuner card n fm would b addon in card.
Personally I hav experienced that in long run…memory does not fall short but model gets older soon. So I wud go for a latest model. I also hav windows vista in my mind

Recently I hav heard some new terms in graphics card. I m teling my experience abt it

a. SLI n CROSSFIRE
I hav hrd this term sli from nvidia in which we can put two graphics card on a motherboard. But sine in sli we hav to put two exactly same card so its useless. In crossfire we can put two cards of different model ( but only of ati as I hav heard …is that true???). so this makes some sense. So does a crossfire motherboard cost too much???? Which r the models n cost???

b. PPU
This is sumthing that I hav heard in latest edition of digit. It’s a physics processing unit. It controls the laws of physics in a gameplay. I wanted to know that is it sum kind of other card that is to b placed on mobo or is a feature in graphics card??? If it’s a different card that which slot it uses n wot is the cost of this card.??? I hav also heard that we can force this ppu to a simple graphics card only. So that makes a sence of buying a crossfire compatible mobo so that when I buy a new gpx card … I’ll force the ppu calculations to older graphics card. Moreover can ne 1 give me list of gpx cards that can do pu calculations.

i also want to ask wot does the suffix gt n gs mean???? which is better n costlier

For the cost purpose…if I take gpx card at 15000 Rs then comp sums up to 85000. I’ll buy the comp in month of june mayb end of june. So this will automatically cum down to 80000 due to reduction in price due to time. Well I cant compromise in processor , speakers,cabinet. The changes can be in mouse,keyboard,( that I will buy a simple 1 now n upgrade later),in crt vs tft fight n in gfx card.
1 more question do I need a separate sound card for these apeakers to blast or onboard r sufficient enuff??? Wot wud a gud model of 5.1 sound card.

@DIGITIZED. I REA THIS THREAD THAT U HELPED A GUY CYOYO IN BUILDING UP HIS PC. CAN U ASK HIM FRM WHICH SHOPS DID HE TAKE THE QUOTATIONS IN PUNE. I WILL SURELY HELP IN MAKING UR THREAD STICKY

So guys plz help me to buy my dream machine… lots of thanks in advance.
HAPPY COMPUTING

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
ritwickgupta said:
Hi techies……..
I am a first engineer student in pune. I want to buy a computer…assembeled. My pusposes r intensive gaming, movie watching , music ..in short all that a computer can do. My budget is around 75k. I hav to buy everything that a comp needs. Price indicated below is wot I got from a dealer.
So lets start from the beginning…..

1. MOTHERBOARD….
Asus a8ne coz I m going for amd based system. Does this board has 5.1 output?????. Rs 5000

2. PROCESSOR
AMD dual core 3800+ Rs 16500

3. HARD DRIVE
160-250 gb hdd at least 7200 rpm n 8 mb buffer sata II Rs 3600-4500

4. 1 gb ram…512*2……suggest me the brand Rs 5000

5. liteon dual layer dvd writer Rs 2700

6. SPEAKERS
Logitech Z5300 (5.1) Rs 11800… cant resist it. I m an audiophile n it is a blast.

7. CABINET ( can spend at most 5000 on it)
550 w smps suggest brand
vip 1122,g200,g300???( confusion)

8. MONITER
17” CRT or TFT ( brand will b viewsonic)
viewsonic tft 17”…Rs 13500 ( 8 ms response time)
viewsonic crt 17” flat (rs7000)

8. MOUSE n KEYBOARD
G5 mouse Rs 3700 ( wanted to buy mx 518 but dealer told that its production has stopped.)
LOGITECH gaming keyboard Rs 3500

9. UPS
Ne nice ups of abt 3000

10. Now comes the most difficult part THE GRAPHICS CARD
I’ll b goin for a pci-e card of abt Rs15000

Models that I hav in mind r 6600gt,6800gs,6800gt,7600gt for nvidia
N x800xl,x800xt,x1600 for ati.
A tv tuner card n fm would b addon in card.
Personally I hav experienced that in long run…memory does not fall short but model gets older soon. So I wud go for a latest model. I also hav windows vista in my mind

Recently I hav heard some new terms in graphics card. I m teling my experience abt it

a. SLI n CROSSFIRE
I hav hrd this term sli from nvidia in which we can put two graphics card on a motherboard. But sine in sli we hav to put two exactly same card so its useless. In crossfire we can put two cards of different model ( but only of ati as I hav heard …is that true???). so this makes some sense. So does a crossfire motherboard cost too much???? Which r the models n cost???

b. PPU
This is sumthing that I hav heard in latest edition of digit. It’s a physics processing unit. It controls the laws of physics in a gameplay. I wanted to know that is it sum kind of other card that is to b placed on mobo or is a feature in graphics card??? If it’s a different card that which slot it uses n wot is the cost of this card.??? I hav also heard that we can force this ppu to a simple graphics card only. So that makes a sence of buying a crossfire compatible mobo so that when I buy a new gpx card … I’ll force the ppu calculations to older graphics card. Moreover can ne 1 give me list of gpx cards that can do pu calculations.

i also want to ask wot does the suffix gt n gs mean???? which is better n costlier

For the cost purpose…if I take gpx card at 15000 Rs then comp sums up to 85000. I’ll buy the comp in month of june mayb end of june. So this will automatically cum down to 80000 due to reduction in price due to time. Well I cant compromise in processor , speakers,cabinet. The changes can be in mouse,keyboard,( that I will buy a simple 1 now n upgrade later),in crt vs tft fight n in gfx card.
1 more question do I need a separate sound card for these apeakers to blast or onboard r sufficient enuff??? Wot wud a gud model of 5.1 sound card.

@DIGITIZED. I REA THIS THREAD THAT U HELPED A GUY CYOYO IN BUILDING UP HIS PC. CAN U ASK HIM FRM WHICH SHOPS DID HE TAKE THE QUOTATIONS IN PUNE. I WILL SURELY HELP IN MAKING UR THREAD STICKY

So guys plz help me to buy my dream machine… lots of thanks in advance.
HAPPY COMPUTING

First of all, the name of our friend is Cyco, not Cyoyo. You can PM him to get the details. Anyway, here are my suggestions. They mostly match what you have mentioned but I would like to make some changes.

1. MOTHERBOARD-Asus A8N-E

2. PROCESSOR-AMD X2 3800+

3. HARD DRIVE-160GB SATA-II (Seagate)

4. RAM-1 gb ram…512*2……Brand-Kingston, Corsair, Transcend, Zion

5. Optical drive-liteon/Benq/Sony dual layer dvd writer

6. SPEAKERS-Logitech Z5300 (5.1)

7. CABINET-Can't comment but must have 500-550W PSU as you mentioned

8. MONITOR-17" Flat CRT (Samsung/LG/Sony Viewsonic)

8. MOUSE n KEYBOARD-G5 Laser mouse and gaming keyboard is expensive. Ordinary optical mouse/Keyboard from Logitech will do. See I saved you some money and increased your budget for the graphics card.

9. UPS-TVA (under Rs.2500)

10. Graphics card-XFX 7600GT (if out of your budget, then 6800GS). 6800GT is being phased out and replaced by 6800GS.

A8N-E has excellent on-board audio chip. It will compliment the Z5300 nicely. If at all you want a sound card, then there is nothing like Soundblaster Audigy2ZS or X-Fi. It would be very helpful if you enquire about the price of both of them and post it here.

Let us know the final price qoutes.

ritwickgupta

Broken In
@digitized........

thx a lot. will see abt the keyboard n mouse. i wanted to know wot r the adwantages abt g5 n gaming keyboard. i also wanted to know wot does suffix gs n gt mean n which one is better. wot abt the ppu.????? which card is better 7800gt or x1800 . i m getting a 1 month onl x1800 in 17k. is it worth goin for it??????
thx in advance

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
About the G5 mouse and gaming keyboard, I think the G5 mouse has more precision using very advanced laser technology. You won't be competing in international level multiplayer tournaments, right? That is for those people and those who want to show off and those who have loads of money. That precision is required in FPS multiplayer games. Also the same is the case with the gaming keyboard. That keyboard is having separate profiles for all the latest games and the keys are conveniently placed, similar to the Ideazon Zboard. Also I think that keyboard has a LCD display showing the vital statistics of the game you are playing, like the no. of kills, weapon ammo remaining, scores, etc. That's why it is so expensive.

It's your decision to buy it or not to buy it, but I can assure you that the ordinary keyboard and optical mouse from logitech will do just fine.

7800GT is better. The only card worthy of note in the current scenario from Ati is the top of the line X1900XTX, but it costs a bomb. At most if you increase your budget for graphics card, then you can get the 7800GT. But abroad, 7800GT is similarly priced with the 7900GT. So people buy the latter. But due to the absurd pricing here, I do not know if you can get the 7900GT at the same price as the 7800GT. 7800GT costs around Rs.23500. A similarly priced 7900GT has 4 extra pixel pipelines, i.e. 24, while the former has 20.

Post your decisions.

Champ

.NET Guru
hi to all,
now help me guyes
i have a intel original 845GVSRL BOARD WITH PENTIUM 4 2.40 GHZ/478 PIN
my mother board have recently developed some fault and i am in a mood to buy a new one
now there are two options
1. Go for a complete system overhaul and buy a new 775 pin processor and a board with PCI-express SLOT
2. Simply buy a new mobo with AGP slot and use existing [processor

now which one u guys recommend as i am thinking bout 2nd option
as my bugut in Rs.6000 max

ie a 845 board from ASUS or MSI with AGP slot and a 6200TC Graphics card

thanks in advance

CyCo

In the zone
hey ..

i recommend u do not go for logitech but for microsoft .. .its much better than logotech personally as in the hostel , the guys who bought logitech wish they had bought microsoft ..
Reasons-
1. The keyboard tilts at a dirty angle and is uncomfortable .. microsoft is plain and good ..

2. THe mouse has a weird click .. the microsoft is damn good .. also , in the end if u dont buy the G5 this is just as good ...

i bought the MX-518 .. it is still available if u can get the right guy .. the thing is that only if u play hardcore CS / UT / Quake it is needed .. find a good mouspad .. im getting the steel pad from the US .. U dont really need a gaming keyboard ..

i like the VIP1122 and put an Atrix 450W SMPS (trasparent , blue LEDS) .. it looks damn good ..

MY X800XL is running sexy .. i play NFS:MW and F.E.A.R. on full everything and still doesnt lag .. its simply awesome ..

for monitor , i got a 17" LCD .. i really prefer this over the CRT .. its abt 14k to 14.5k ... go for the ViewSonic VA712 ONLY as after a lot of research i have seen that this is the only cheap LCD supporting 8ms rate which is needed for games .. all the rest have abt 14ms whereas for games u need between 10-12 ms or lower ...

btw look arnd for mx518 as g5 is not really worht it being almost double the price .. for the comp , i used S'TEch Cmputers near MG .. which college u in ?? im SE - IT in PICT ... wat abt u ??

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hey Cyco: Welcome back. Hearing from you after a long time. Busy with gaming and a little bit of studies, eh..buddy?!..;)

@thechamp: According to your requirements, you can buy the Intel original D865GBF board with AGP8X slot and 6200 AGP. Do not buy the turbocache version as it shares from the main system memory. Also make sure that the memory interface is 128-bit.:)

ritwickgupta

Broken In
hi cyco....
1st of all which microsoft keyboard r u suggesting????
2nd i contacted s tech only ...he said that production of mx518 has been stopped. in that case which mouse shud i go for.
3rd thing i m goin for crt as 8 ms in not less enough i will save a lot of bucks if i go for crt. that i can put in my gfx card n speakers.

btw i m frm sinhgad coll . fe comp engg. how were ur pracs??? all the bst for finals. mayb i wud meet u sumtime n hav a look at ur pc
thx a lot

ritwickgupta

Broken In
hi ppl.........
i hav a problem...i know its related to software but plz help me
i hav some avi,mpg,dat files on my roomies pc. i wan to write a dvd of it which can run on my home dvd player. plz tell me the procedure. which softwares shud i use for conversion n writing. plz tell me only if u hav done this ne time.....
thx a lot

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
I don't think 6200 features 128 bit wide BUS.:confused:

Hey digitized don't you feel that on such an expensive system, you wouldn't do justice by not having SLI!:cool:

I suggest ritwickgupta to go for the ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe which retails at 19k
Its got all what A8N-E has to offer and more+ SLI at 16x unlike other cards.

Moreover I suggest you go for two 80 GB SATAII drives and RAID 0 them.

As for the mouse, go for Genius Ergo 525.Excellent price to performance ratio.Retails at about 1.5k.

Never go for Crossfire. You said that in SLI you have to use two Smae cards so its useless.:mad: Let me tell you that in Crossfire,even if you can put Two different cards if the same series, the system will run at the speed of the lower card.So this ultimately means that you've virtually have two of the lower cards in crossfire.
SLI rulez!!

As my friend digitzed suggested ,you should go for 7600GT because its a very good midrange card. I don't know about its pricing but it should be near about 6800GS.

You can buy RAM from a few reputed brands like corsair,kingston,Hynix,Transcend,zion but let me inform you that Corsair & kingston are exotically priced. Go for Hynix. very good vakue for money and good performance.

Gracias

Last edited:

roxisayshi

Broken In
hi friends
i m looking forward to buy a new pc in 1 month time.
my first choice is amd athlon since i hav heard a lot that p4 causes heating prob.

i m not very much inclined towards gaming neither multi media related stuffs...
i just want to buy a new technology in the budget i have.......
i can spend at most 30,000 bugs for this.....

so far i hav thought of the following config :-

AMD athlon 64 3200+(socket 939)
asus a8n-e
80 gb sata HD
512 ddr RAM
samsung cd drive
sony dvd writer
samsung 15"" flat monitor

my queries are :-

1.) ne further suggestions to improve the config mentioned above.
2.) i shud go for asus a8n-e or a8n-vm or of ne other brand ?
3.)ne gud cabinet and power supply?
4.)does amd based mobo support ddr2 RAM ,if yes then plz name few?

i m not going for the hi-fi speakers so leaving it aside.......

THAX IN ADVANCE

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Greetings my friend roxisayshi!

Instead of going for Asus A8N-E go for the A8N-VM because the former doesn't have onboard GPU,which means that you would have to buy a separate GPU.The latter has a nVidia 6100 onboard GPU. (5.6k max)
Since you are not inclined to multimedia so it'l be able to take care of your computing needs.

Go for a 17" monitor instead of 15" because the former are marginally costlier.Retail at abt 5.5

Get any spacy cheap cabby and put in a 400W PSU from Powersafe.(total 1.5k)

Your procy(AMD Athlon64 3200+ venice core)
is quite powerful so you can do more justice to it by adding another stick of 512 DDR400 RAM (from Hynix, I would suggest).

Why do you want to have a CD-ROM Drive as well as a DVD-Writer?

There are AMD mobos which support DDR2 but their availability is a doubt.Moreover, they are based on the AM2 socket for which there are no cheap procys.Even the boards will be exotically priced. So dont even think about it!

Gracias

Last edited:
OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@kaustav_geek: For PCI-express XFX GeForce 6200 256MB DDR TV DVI (PV-T43V-UA) is 128-bit

For AGP 8X XFX GeForce 6200 256MB DDR TV DVI (PV-T43L-UA) is 128-bit.

@roxysayshi: whatever kaustav said is correct. follow his suggestions for the config.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Hey digitized you aren't doin justice to your 6800GS:D .Check your 3DMark'06 scores for your procy and your card. Ideally these should be equal so as not to bottleneck each other's performance.

I don't think they will be equal. Please post those scores also.:cool:

CyCo

In the zone
@digitized damn busy re .. we had a college event which took me most of feb and mar to organize .. specially the gaming ;) .. can u believe it ?? after finishing nfsmw and half of fear , havent been able to get time to play nethin on my comp .... surely will next sem ..

@ritwick
the normal combo fr abt 700-800 ... tell the S-tech guy u know me .. "Vikrant Agarwal" ... i didnt get the mouse frm him .. sum1 else ..
for mouse i advise if u dont play very hardcore , dont get it yet .. G5 and all is too exp 4k+ .. microsoft is quite good and until u r damn good at these games , the mouse doesnt really make a diff ... u can put the 3k somewhere else ..

a 17" flat crt may b good , but nothing beats an LCD .. and why isnt 8ms good enuff when u need 10-14 fr gaming ?? they run perfectly on my lcd ...
its upto u where u wanna save , but the LCD adds a whole new dimension to ur pc ... + u can work for hours and yor eyes dont hurt at all .. its kul .. i luv my LCD ..

kul.. so ur not tht far away.. u stay in the hostel ?? coz im in the PICT hostel fr nw , otherwise flat next sem ... PM me next sem weneva u wanna meet ..

btw its best if u wait till beginning next sem to buy this .. in 1 month , prices must go dwn by a bit...

CyCo

In the zone
@kaustav SLI sounds good and all but i'll tell u why i didnt go for it ..

the mobo is like rs.4000 more expensive .. we can put that somewher else ..

secondly with a card like 7600 , its enuff to run all ur games ..
also, u'll never later really be buying another 7600 , coz by the time dat is outdated u'll need another machine altogether ..

so its better to spend the money somewhere else ..

as for RAM , ur right abt kingston and corsair but wrong abt hynix ..
Its better to go from transcend .. its a little ~Rs200 more exp .. but the quality is supposed to b much better ...

as for the mouse , i havent heard of a better mouse than the 518 ..
the link for the genius is :
*www.doomedpc.com/?q=node/75

its ur personal decision, but i wd go for the 518 .. its not available with stech , but when u buy ill give u thee dealers name and no. where i get it frm .. he's near the station ...

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Really?? Is transcend better than Hynix??

**Post you your comments on this @all**

As for the SLI setup. the 7600 is sweetly priced and has the all the 7xxx series features. I don't think it'll be obsolete in the near future.The SLI mobo is too hot to handle with the SLI performance it offers.So, with two 7600 GTs you know what, you will still be in the gamers' elite for quite some time to come.

The Genius ergo 525 is a laser mouse and offers very good precision.With a lot of programmable buttons, awesome ergonomics,rock bottom pricing, (1.5k) you know you have a winner.Genius doesn't have all the hype that Logitech builds around its models so many don't know of it. I would really suggest ritwick to go for it.

Gracias

roxisayshi

Broken In
kaustav_geek said:
Greetings my friend roxisayshi!

Instead of going for Asus A8N-E go for the A8N-VM because the former doesn't have onboard GPU,which means that you would have to buy a separate GPU.The latter has a nVidia 6100 onboard GPU. (5.6k max)
Since you are not inclined to multimedia so it'l be able to take care of your computing needs.

Go for a 17" monitor instead of 15" because the former are marginally costlier.Retail at abt 5.5

Get any spacy cheap cabby and put in a 400W PSU from Powersafe.(total 1.5k)

Your procy(AMD Athlon64 3200+ venice core)
is quite powerful so you can do more justice to it by adding another stick of 512 DDR400 RAM (from Hynix, I would suggest).

Why do you want to have a CD-ROM Drive as well as a DVD-Writer?

There are AMD mobos which support DDR2 but their availability is a doubt.Moreover, they are based on the AM2 socket for which there are no cheap procys.Even the boards will be exotically priced. So dont even think about it!

Gracias

thax kaustav_geek for the support.
i m going for cd rom as well as dvd writer coz i hav heard that sumtimes dvd writers cause some problems in writing the dvds if it is used frequently for reading and writing both.so i opt for differnt optical drives for only reading and writing....i m not sure coz never tried before.plz correct if i m wrong....

another thing i woukd like to ask is does a8n-vm support sata2 HDs and 2.1 or 5.1 channels for speakers(although i m not going to buy these big speakers)

prankie

D PrankMaster
guys, plz suggest a good config for my uncle,
cost should not be over 36k excluding price of UPS..
few things i've already decided..
procci--> AMD 64 3200(socket939)
MOBO---> preferrably an Asus,,, suggest a good one (Onboard grafix optional)
GFX card----> Geforce 6200 or ATI redeon X600 (suggest bettr and cheaper)
Monitior----> 15" lcd(suggest a brand)
keyboard mouse combo ----> logitech or microsoft
optical drive---> sony or liteon dvd writer
speaker----> creative sbs370
ram---> 512MB

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom