All configuration (new and upgrades) related queries here

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I asked this question to Agent 001 but I do not think he will reply me by eMail. Therefore, can anyone please answer me regarding this:

I have a Intel Pentium IV 1.7 GHz processor, 256 MB of DDR RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, CD-RW and CD-R, 15" Samtron CRT monitor, two ordinary
speakers, iBall optical mouse and ikey internet and multimedia keyboard. I also have a nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro graphics card.
Pretty low configuration. Now, my brother wants to play some good games and I have to upgrade it. Can you suggest me the cheapest upgrade for a no-frills machine which gives decent FPS rates for games such as EA SPORTS FIFA 2005, Brian Lara International Cricket 2005, etc.? I have no intention of playing games such as Quake 4, etc.
Thank you!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, I cannot play EA SPORTS FIFA 2005 and Grand Theft Auto - Vice City runs so slowly even on the lowest resolution.
BTW, what is a 'mobo'?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Actually, I am in Kolkata and my PC is in Siliguri. So I cannot check the motherboard. It is from Mercury though.

LordDJ

Broken In
Planning on upgrading. How much do you ppl think this will sell off for in Pune?

PII 866MHz
810e mobo
256MB @ 133MHz
40GB HDD x 2 (one still under warranty)

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
LordDJ said:
Planning on upgrading. How much do you ppl think this will sell off for in Pune?

PII 866MHz
810e mobo
256MB @ 133MHz
40GB HDD x 2 (one still under warranty)

maybe 8k would be a good deal
who would buy tht :evil: :evil: :evil:

CyCo

In the zone
CAN ANYONE PLS TELL ME ABT THE LCD !!!

WOOHOO ... where are all u guys , digitizzed and aniruddh ??

paul_007

Padawan
configuration is:
p-4 2.26 GHz (533 MHz FSB)
intel 845 (32 mb onboard)
512 mb DDr(266 MHz)
NO AGP SLOT :evil:

pls suggest an upgrade(without changin my processor) so as to play games like doom3 , hl2, splinter cell series, POP series, far cry and similar games,i dont have any problem playing games @ 640x480 or 800x600 resolutions.

BUDGET 12-15K

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@Cyco: sorry for not replying earlier. Please see this:

*compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/CRTvsLCD.htm

I googled as "CRT vs. LCD". You can also browse more results from the google search results. I feel LCD's are just for show. Those who have money to burn and want some sleek looking desktops and computer tables opt for LCD. They are not good for gaming, and also they are damn expensive. A 17" flat CRT will be a great investment. This is my personal opinion.

@Paul_007: It seems that if you want to keep the motherboard, you have to opt for socket 478 motherboards, which seem quite outdated. You also have to opt for a AGP 8X graphics card, and not a PCI-express one, which is the way of the future. This is because socket 478 motherboards only support AGP cards. Your rig will not be future proof.

Anyway, here is one option:

Motherboard: Intel D865GBF with AGP 8X slot.
Graphics card: XFX 6600 AGP.
RAM: 512MB 400Mhz.

This should come within your budget.

If you could also exchange your old motherboard and RAM then you might also get around 1.5k (not sure), which you can utilise for buying another 256MB RAM. But do not consider this as a sureshot option.

comrade

foreign return(0)
paul_007 said:
configuration is:
p-4 2.26 GHz (533 MHz FSB)
intel 845 (32 mb onboard)
512 mb DDr(266 MHz)
NO AGP SLOT :evil:

pls suggest an upgrade(without changin my processor) so as to play games like doom3 , hl2, splinter cell series, POP series, far cry and similar games,i dont have any problem playing games @ 640x480 or 800x600 resolutions.

BUDGET 12-15K

ok...here is an option

GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard - 4.4 K
AMD 64 3000+ - 5.8 K

with the motherboard u will get integrated 6200 (enought to play all the games at fairly decent resolution) + SATA II + firewire +gigabit lan + 7.1 Audio + PCI express slot if u need to upgrade ur graphics card later.

paul_007

Padawan
@Paul_007: It seems that if you want to keep the motherboard, you have to opt for socket 478 motherboards, which seem quite outdated. You also have to opt for a AGP 8X graphics card, and not a PCI-express one, which is the way of the future. This is because socket 478 motherboards only support AGP cards. Your rig will not be future proof.

Anyway, here is one option:

Motherboard: Intel D865GBF with AGP 8X slot.
Graphics card: XFX 6600 AGP.
RAM: 512MB 400Mhz.

This should come within your budget.

thnx 4 reply , pls tell me 2 things is the grafix card which u have suggested
128mb or 256 mb and isn.t my processor compatible with 915 chipset based mobo?

paul_007

Padawan
ok...here is an option

GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard - 4.4 K
AMD 64 3000+ - 5.8 K

with the motherboard u will get integrated 6200 (enought to play all the games at fairly decent resolution) + SATA II + firewire +gigabit lan + 7.1 Audio + PCI express slot if u need to upgrade ur graphics card later.

ur option is also good, actually i said that i dont want to change my procc cause i thought it will exceed my budget but if it is within my budget then i wont mind.

but i.ve heard that there are heating and pc shutting down probs with AMD proc , is it true?
if not then this is good option as i can have PCI X card later on.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@Paul_007: The 6600 I suggested was 256MB. Here is another option

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard: MSI RS 482M2-IL (Integrated ATI graphics)
RAM: 512MB DDR 400Mhz

This should also come in your budget, and it will allow you to play on resolutions upto 800X600 with some details off. Plus this board has an extra PCI-express slot so that if you want to add a graphics card later, you can do so. This will be somewhat future proof with more options. So you can add a 6600 256MB later, if you wish.

paul_007

Padawan
@Paul_007: The 6600 I suggested was 256MB. Here is another option

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard: MSI RS 482M2-IL (Integrated ATI graphics)
RAM: 512MB DDR 400Mhz

This should also come in your budget, and it will allow you to play on resolutions upto 800X600 with some details off. Plus this board has an extra PCI-express slot so that if you want to add a graphics card later, you can do so. This will be somewhat future proof with more options. So you can add a 6600 256MB later, if you wish.

yeah i am satisfied with this configuration
but wat about the heating and pc shutting down problem with AMD processor .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom