Alienware Plans for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I agree. I wouldn't mind having everything preconfigured for an extra charge :). Coming from them itself something tells em the laptop is going to come with everything needed for optimum performance.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@j1n M@tt, WinXP Gamer Editions=pirated OS.

if one can afford a 60-70k+ gaming machine, dont you think that person can afford a legit OS too.

i still have doubt in this equation

Code:
alienware+linux = "?"
alienware = full time gaming machine
linux = not for games

well whatever it is, i wont be going for alienware, ever, i'd rather build my own gaming machine with "WinXP Gamer Editions" as OS:p

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
alienware+linux = "?"
linux = not for games
Although Alienware systems maybe known for their performance in Games theres no rule that you have to use it for gaming. Also with the way Wine and other software are coming up Linux should do better with its gaming performance. Of course there isn't any guarantees of course. Anyway I would buy one if I were filthy rich.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
if one can afford a 60-70k+ gaming machine, dont you think that person can afford a legit OS too.
No on s/w front people don't shell money out of their pocket.. They don't even buy legit games :|

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

Code:
alienware+linux = "?"
linux = not for games
well whatever it is, i wont be going for alienware, ever, i'd rather build my own gaming machine with "WinXP Gamer Editions" as OS:p

ya, its true.......people r not interested in buying legit OS.......and by the way most of the American h@ckers uses Alienware as their machine with Linux loaded.......so its not only popular among gamers

Code:
alienware+linux = "?"
linux = not for games
Personally speaking, I find Linux with Wine giving better FPS than Windows native for the same software.
( I used a game boy advance emulator called VBA for this. )

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Using the games feature to check the FPS. I recall fear having one . Dont know about others. Oh and UrT has one also. Theres also a glxgears utility but I seriously doubt how demanding it is.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Moves like this should increase native gaming support on Linux... Let's hope so atleast. I don't see why Linux can't become the platform of choice for gamers. I remember reading a related article a few days ago. Check it out here.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
if OpenGL can come up with some stunning features as DX10; then for sure there will be interest in developing games for linux boxes, but unfortunately OpenGL does not hav many supporters....and some of the games dat was developed in OpenGL on windows platform didn't received much welcome from gamers

Could Linux be a better gaming OS than Windows?

Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Could Linux be a better gaming OS than Windows?

Linux and Mac users alike will both know that Windows has by far the lion's share of the computer gaming market. Now, you could buy a console, but there are certain types of games (mainly RTS and things like that) which don't often seem to appear on consoles, and are limited to Windows, so by and large if you want to play these types of games you're limited to using Windows. So Windows is currently the only reasonable choice for if you want to play this type of game, as well as many others. A colleague of mine who is a hardcore PC gamer has also told me that FPS games are better suited to the PC.

However, I believe that from an architectural point of view, Windows is not the best platform for gaming. I know that many devoted PC gamers will spend a lot of time, money and effort building a PC designed to get the absolute best performance out of the components. To me, it then seems an incredible waste to then install Windows (especially Vista) on it. Even with several different versions available, it's not possible to optimise Vista to get the absolute best out of it.

Consider this: Sim City Societies requires 512MB RAM for XP, and 1GB for Vista! Processor-wise, it needs 1.7 GHZ for XP and 2.4GHz for Vista! That's a staggering difference, and can easily make the difference between someone being able to run a game on existing hardware, and needing something new.

The point is, Vista, even with several different versions, is essentially a one-size-fits-all operating system. It's not designed to get the best out of your hardware. A lot of components can't be removed (IE, Windows Media Player etc) and replaced with something lighter.

I therefore believe that if it were better supported with native games, Linux has the potential to be a far better operating system for gaming, especially for hardcore gamers. Here's my reasoning:
read here:
*farbeyondtheedgeofreason.blogspot.com/2008/07/could-linux-be-better-gaming-os-than.html

^interesting one!.many FUD are eliminated by that guy's post.

ps: it aint my blog.afterall I cant even blog you know! :p

hw do u look FPS in linux??
glxgears(run it from terminal). ? :)

Last edited:
Re: Could Linux be a better gaming OS than Windows?

read here:
*farbeyondtheedgeofreason.blogspot.com/2008/07/could-linux-be-better-gaming-os-than.html

^interesting one!.many FUD are eliminated by that guy's post.

ps: it aint my blog.afterall I cant even blog you know! :p

glxgears(run it from terminal). ? :)
intresting read. :)

but nothing except practical real life results proves that.

Kenshin

meowww meoww
I tried this rt now
Installed Serious Sam in XP and Ubuntu over wine
ubuntu gave more fps,
Initially when i chose the mode as OpenGL in ubuntu everythin was crooked, when i changed it to DirecX then it ran properly and was smoother than in XP

I tried this rt now
Installed Serious Sam in XP and Ubuntu over wine
ubuntu gave more fps,
Initially when i chose the mode as OpenGL in ubuntu everythin was crooked, when i changed it to DirecX then it ran properly and was smoother than in XP
shouldn't it have been the reverse ? :confused:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^probably his windows installation is too bloated with antivrus, firewall, antispyware and all kind of background services :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom