Airtel or Vodafone for MNP

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello guys and gals,

I am using AIrtel network now. I'm planning to move to Vodafone by retaining the same number (Thanks to Mobile Number Portability).

The reason I'm thinking of leaving AIrtel is because
1) Call charges in Airtel are a bit on the higher side. I need to pay 60 paise per call for calling a non-Airtel number. On most other networks it is 50 paise per sec.

2) No option to top-up for desired amount online. The only option is to recharge using Netbacking facility for a specified amount (333,400,...). I checked that Vodafone site allows you to recharge online from their site for any amount you like.

3) I pay 98 bucks every month to activate GPRS. Now there is no option to activate this online or through SMS. This is a major turn-off for me.

4) I'm getting a lot of calls from AIrtel insisiting me to switch to their postpaid connection even when I have registered to DO NOT DISTURB registry.

Folks who have used both the networks, please suggest me if it makes sense to move to Vodafone considering these problems with Airtel. Does Vodafone have any of the same problems?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Well, i used airtel previously for past 4 years and now switched to Vodafone (b4 MNP was introduced). IMO vodafone and Airtel both are same, service wise. But rate-wise, Vodafone is little better than Airtel. And GPRS, is not so good in Vodafone too. If you mainly aims for net surfing, go for Aircel, but i don't prefer it for bad call rates.

For me, Vodafone do the job well.

Better STD rates and i dont use GPRS, so can't comment much abt that.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
If you mainly aims for net surfing, go for Aircel, but i don't prefer it for bad call rates.
Well I don't know about Net surfing or call rates but Network wise Aircel is the WORST possible network I have ever used :evil:, it's just a pain in the a$$, I am located in Kolkata, though I don't know about other cities.
@OP, Where do you live?
I'll suggest you to go for Vodafone, their call rates are pretty good, network is great and on same par with Airtel :), I am using Vodafone from 2005 and till now I didn't have a single problem :)

pauldmps

Banned
I'm happy with Vodafone right now. It has the best call-rates as well as service. I'm planning to change to Docomo in future for GPRS rates, when I buy a smartphone.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
webgenius said:
3) I pay 98 bucks every month to activate GPRS. Now there is no option to activate this online or through SMS. This is a major turn-off for me.

4) I'm getting a lot of calls from AIrtel insisiting me to switch to their postpaid connection even when I have registered to DO NOT DISTURB registry.
3) Dial *567#
Choose "Unlimited Internet (2GB) @ RS98" (Option 3)
Wait for 10 minutes.
Done.

4) Airtel always calls from the same number. I just disbaled their number :D.
And I only get 1-2 SMS a day.

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
I feel Vodafone beats Airtel even with GPRS charges. Check Mobile internet Packs @ 95 in Vodafone Prepaid Online recharge | Talktime recharge | Validity recharge | Bonus Cards | Prepaid offers | Karnataka

For 95 bucks, you get 4GB data usage, where as Airtel gives only 2GB.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
am living in bangalore and am switching to Vodafone from Airtel for the following reasons:

1. less congestion (am having serious amoung of dropped calls and connection errors).
2. much better 3G and EDGE plans
3. less ads. I get atleast half a dozen ads from airtel alone everyday and atleast 2 calls.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Among all these thieves, Vodafone is a decent one.... :D

Rob from you only with your knowledge and a small amount....

@desiibond
Is the data plans are OK?What speed are u getting?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I have vodafone prepaid and the speeds are good. haven't tried speedtest but will do and let you know.

pauldmps

Banned
overall i feel.. docomo is the best.. whether it be call rates or gprs..
do give it a thought

Call rate for local calls is the same for both: 1p\s but std calls are cheaper by 50% on Vodafone than on Docomo. 1p\s vs 2p\s.

SMS rates are better on Docomo 60p/sms for first two than free vs Voda charging re.1 for every sms.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
overall i feel.. docomo is the best.. whether it be call rates or gprs..
do give it a thought
Nope, not agreed at all :). I am using Docomo for one month now, their Customer Care Sucks big time, and Call rates are too complicated, this for first 30 secs that for last 30 secs is totallu crap. The only thing why I took Docomo was their cheap SMS rates, if you recharge with Rs.6/month, all the SMS rates will be 5p/SMS, which is really good :), but then again it has flaw, the SMS Delivery Reports always come after 5-6 mins and an awkward no. before the Delivery Report, like- 4105/3104 instead of 0091. Anyway, more or less it's okay, I will never use Docomo for calling, their Network is no where near good as Voda's or Airtel's. If Voda can decrease their normal SMS rate,which is Pathetic at Rs.1/SMS, or create a good SMS Bonus card then I won't need any other connection besides Vodafone. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Guys....signal strength also matters :mrgreen:

I have used Airtel it was best in its era of GPRS Rs25per day
then I switched to Aircel which was ok......
Aircel has signal reception problem in North-East.

I m using IDEA.IDEA is best in GPRS
SMS charges for only 1st 3 SMS perday then 100SMS free....:mrgreen:

Top Bottom