Airtel broadband plans revised with higher FUP

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
What is the logic of FUP. Meaning why is it implemented. Just ways to milk the cash cow, or is it really a network/hardware limitation..?

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
What is the logic of FUP. Meaning why is it implemented. Just ways to milk the cash cow, or is it really a network/hardware limitation..?
TRAI specified a lower contention ratio (don't know the exact figure) as most ISPs were overcrowding many subscribers in a single line.

Then Airtel comes up with a moronic idea to counter it.

"We want to gaurantee the best service to our people. So, we are meeting TRAI's new contention ratio policy that will guarantee you moar speed. The 1mbps UL plan of Rs. 1299 is now 1mbps UL Rs. 999. The great thing about this plan is we have reduced the cost by Rs.300. *

* Fair Usage Policy applies. 256kbps speed after you cross 10GB.

In the end we at Airtel would like to tell you, we sincerely believe in offering the best services to our customers and taking the country forward."
Since that day, I stopped using every Airtel product.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
ico said:
Since that day, I stopped using every Airtel product.
Actually, most private players are same. And force us to have to do things like this.

Tata Photo-on :

THey advertise it as product of the year. I dont even think it is a product :mad:

BSNL is still best ISP. Best rates, speeds, reliability

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
who cares? Airtel started it. Rest followed it. BSNL followed it by getting rid of Home 1000 (my plan) - 2mbps, 5GB daytime limit, 2-8am NUL. They tried to move me over to the new plan Home 900 *unlimited*. 4mbps till 8GB and 256kbps beyond? wtf?

and I virtually killed the person on phone who had called me for the change. Gladly, I still have Home 1000 in Gurgaon.

I can download ~3.5GB every night with 2mbps NUL.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
BTW guys, did TRAI itself imposed this FUP thing??

Well, actually a airtel guy called me up for a connection with these new plans, and when I asked about FUP, he says "Everybody has FUP, FUP is itself imposed by TRAI" and ask me to look at TRAI website.

Still, as I was not sure I looked up but didn't find anything like that.

And when I asked him about BSNL 750 UL he says that's the only true UL plan, and everybody including BSNL has FUP too.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
BTW guys, did TRAI itself imposed this FUP thing??

Well, actually a airtel guy called me up for a connection with these new plans, and when I asked about FUP, he says "Everybody has FUP, FUP is itself imposed by TRAI" and ask me to look at TRAI website.

Still, as I was not sure I looked up but didn't find anything like that.

And when I asked him about BSNL 750 UL he says that's the only true UL plan, and everybody including BSNL has FUP too.
No, TRAI imposed the lower contention ratio. Something like 1:32. Most ISPs were like 1:50+. To counter it, Airtel morons invented FUP. But TRAI hasn't done anything to prove this is "unfair". All of them are morons including TRAI.

Guess what, Morontel had imposed FUP on the 256kbps plan too. After ~15GB, 128kbps. Then someone mailed then, "Broadband according to TRAI is 256kbps and above." They rectified it. "No FUP on 256kbps UL plan."

TRAI should make 2mbps as "broadband".

Note: No FUP on MTNL. I get plain simple 1mbps UL for Rs. 999 - without any frills.

Sarath

iDota
A low contention ratio with FUP is still better than a high contention ratio.

What I was looking for in a BB connection was:
Good speed
Good pings/latency
No disconnections
No FUP or FUP above my usage

I got all this from my airtel connection. So I am a happy customer.

Both.

If those old couples in your neighbourhood also get a 24/7 download rig each then it will stall your internet speeds too.

R2K

In the Zone

WOW....Are you saying that even airtel guy admitted it

looks like going with 750UL plan was one of the wise things i ever did in my life:D

As far as airtel is concerned i think for that kind of speed even the new FUP limit is shockingly unfair

Last edited:

scarifyer

Right off the assembly line
WOW....Are you saying that even airtel guy admitted it

looks like going with 750UL plan was one of the wise things i ever did in my life:D

But i think for that kind of speed even the new FUP limit is shockingly low

Best thing you did..

Airtel :(:)-x

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I reside from bhopal, and i have here 1299, 2mbps plan of airtel. My plan FUP is 20GB, although i end up using 95 GB :D :p The main problem i encounter is ping is > 100ms, only sometimes its under 100 (CS servers). I dont know why pinging google gives me ping of 55~75 ms, while CS severs mostly > 100ms. Plus speedtest.net gives ping around 220ms if server is Mumbai, but 100 or even below if selected colombo. :neutral: I contactd airtel numerous times, but they say their all plans will give me same ping, i.e. around 100ms, dosnt matter what plan of whichevr speed i use. :(
I heard that ping mainly lies on server distance, but when i leaved in kota, i got pings around 60-65ms, with even 512kbps, but bhopal is much close to mumbai where most servers lie, but then also ping sucks. I really dont know how to reduce my ping. :/ . Although pingtest.net gives my connection 50/50 (B/C)

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^^ Stupid Airtel routing. There is nothing you can do. Just mail them about your ping problem and hope they fix their routing. Else change your ISP and switch to BSNL if it gives you good pings.

sygeek

Technomancer
^^ Stupid Airtel routing. There is nothing you can do. Just mail them about your ping problem and hope they fix their routing. Else change your ISP and switch to BSNL if it gives you good pings.
BSNL is worse. Even if you do get a decent ping, it fluctuates most of the time.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

I had numerous arguments with airtel (technical) customer care. One said that there is no "routing" thing !! I was like wtF !! I'd help customers better than that A** CCare. Some agree to it, but they they can't help it especially with pings :(
Also, i used to get DL speeds around 290 KB/s, but it has reduced to 250-260, from 2nd month, i don't know why. :x

BSNL is worse. Even if you do get a decent ping, it fluctuates most of the time.
Yeah, i have also heard that BSNL is famous for "fluctuating" pings. Although airtel is also sucking, but at a "constant rate" :p ; BSNL is like sometimes butter, sometimes it doesn't sucks, but "SWALLOWS" !! :))

Top Bottom