Aftermath of a virus/worm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
My Windows XP/SP2 was infected with a virus/worm recently(can't remember the name though) and it was removed using AVG Free Antivirus with latest definition updates. The system is back to normal and is working fine except for one quirky thing. I get this message everytime I start XP.

*www.imgx.org/pfiles/5873/viruscreen1.jpg

I have tried the manual registry editing, X-setup, manual startup and services but still am unable to find the source of this entry, I know its there somewhere in the registry but where. If anyone can help me trace it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Yes, seen there too, but not there.

I forgot to add one more thing, if it helps to identify the virus, during the virus period, the system would run fine except some lag during internet operations and also had registry editor and msconfig disabled. Other than this, there wasn't any visible damage.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Actually Googleing the whole error message would've given you the solution much faster. Same thing happened to me once and thats what I did.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The virus u r taking about is the brontok virus
+1, Its Brontok....

Brontok/Rontokbro was a very good friend of mine in my school.:D Every computer was infected with it.

Its characterstic is: It creates an .exe which has an icon of a folder with the same name as the folder in every folder. So, the user gets fooled that it is a folder or not. But actually, if you click on the file, you can clearly see that it is an .exe in the Details panel on the left side. of the explorer.

Here are some removal tools. They'll help you in removing the registry entries and other infections if they remain:
*download.bitdefender.com/resources/files/Download/en/AntiBrontokA-en.exe
or
*www.sophos.com/support/cleaners/brontgui.com
or
*dnl-eu5.kaspersky-labs.com/utils/klwk/klwk.zip

Try everyone of them. This is what I did in my school.....
:)

Also, do install a good AV like NOD32 or Kaspersky. If you want a Free AV, then I'll say to have avast instead of AVG. AVG is the worst.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom