[Advice needed] OS install - Dual boot or possible triple boot suggestions and queries

Sarath

iDota
I had many doubts previously which I was helped with in this thread > *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/168390-help-installing-win-8-ssd.html
However my woes have changed quite a bit now. I am unimpressed with Win 8 as a primary OS and would like to stick with the current Win 7 version but since I already bought it I want to use it to dual boot Win 7 and 8. My brother needs Ubuntu too but I am not too sure if it is needed now but in case it is complicated I can do it on some other PC. So lets keep that aside for now.

First details about my PC :

Drives: 1TB Seagate HDD and 120GB Vertex 4 SSD (will buy more in case it is indicated) (also consider both the drives as empty)

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO

System config:
1 PROCESSOR INTEL CORE i5 2500k 10395
2 MOTHERBOARD ASUS P8P67 PRO 12600
3 RAM G-SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 2625
4 GRAPHIC CARD SAPPHIRE HD6970 2GB 21000
5 HDD SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12 RPM 2625
6 DVD WRITTER SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD 945
7 PSU COSAIR GS700 6300
8 CASE NZXT TEMPEST EVO 6300

I initially wanted Win 8 on the SSD and the Win 7 OS on the HDD but I was thoroughly unimpressed with the new OS so I wiped my SSD clean again. So it remains in my cabinet without much use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My exact queries are as follows:

1. Is it possible to use a retail Win 7 copy and a Win 8 upgrade disc to dual boot?

2. I want to run Win 7 on the SSD and use the 1TB HDD along with it for program files and other media. I want to buy another HDD preferrably a small 320GB one just for Win 8. Is this a wise choice? Installing the second OS on a different drive?

3. Will dual booting effect my PC performance in any way?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I am looking for?

A dual booting PC with Win 8 as the default OS for my family and Win 8 for my use which will be used primarily for Gaming and video encoding (regular HD family videos)

I hope to do all this in June and hence want to be prepared

Thanks for looking

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
3 hard drives? You're really confused. I think the current 2 should suffice. Get another one if you think the current storage will be less for you. No need to buy a separate one just for Windows 8 IMO.
I don't think it is going to affect the performance. Whatever you do just use EasyBCD after installing both or all 3 OSs to get the boot menu in order.
Remember though each time you install Windows the boot loader will be wiped and there will be need to reconfigure it.

gameranand

Living to Play
1. I think you can.
2. Yes no problem. Just make sure that you store the MBR on the primary boot drive from which the BIOS will take the reading first.
3. You have to install every software separately for each OS, other than that, I don't think so.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Thanks for the answers. I think I will go with Win 7 on the SSD and Win 8 on a partition on the HDD.

I am still confused about how to dual boot Win 7 and 8 using an upgrade disc. Reading that up on the internet but not finding anything credible to read. Has anyone else tried it?

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the answers. I think I will go with Win 7 on the SSD and Win 8 on a partition on the HDD.

I am still confused about how to dual boot Win 7 and 8 using an upgrade disc. Reading that up on the internet but not finding anything credible to read. Has anyone else tried it?

Try to install Win7 on two different partition. If it works, then upgrade any one of the partition to Win8.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Rather than add to your confusions, just do 2 separate clean installations of both versions of Windows in separate partitions and use EasyBCD to sort up the boot menu later.

You have upgrade disks for Windows 8? Or for Windows 7?

Vignesh B

Youngling
1. Is it possible to use a retail Win 7 copy and a Win 8 upgrade disc to dual boot?
Legally, its a strict no-no.
Windows 8 EULA

What about upgrading the software?
The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system (XP SP3, Vista, or Windows 7) software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs.

As for other questions, it has been already answered.

Top Bottom