Advice needed for a new CPU

nightwarrior

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys, I"m new to thinkdigit, but not new to computers as such. Let's just say that i've been outta the game for some time now. So i would really appreciate your help in assembling a new CPU. I need it for my office, so that means it should be able to handle heavy simulations and be good at multi-tasking.
I only need a CPU, i.e. Proc + Mobo + HDD+ RAM + Cabinet + SMPS
My budget: 15k
I prefer AMD but intel will do. :wink:
HDD = 320GB
RAM = 2 GB+
DVD R/W = optional

The system needs to be really stable since i need it for my work place...
Come on guys, help me out!!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Please fill this out....

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
3. What is your MAX budget?
4. Planning to overclock?
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Athlon II x4 630 @ 4.7k
Biostar TA785G3 @ 3.7k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.5k
WD 500GB blue @ 2k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 15.9k

OP
N

nightwarrior

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
Systems is meant to run modeling and simulations related to electronics, CAD software (again related to electronics).
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers?
I'm open to any kinda suggestion...
3. What is your MAX budget?
Max budget, as previously stated is 15K
4. Planning to overclock?
Not planning to overclock since i need to the sys to be stable and reliable
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
Windows 7 / Windows XP
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
Anything above 250GB is fine.
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
Minimum of 1280x1024
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
I've built around 5 desktops, but not in the past one year.
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
ASAP
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
Not really.
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
DVD burner, Monitor, Speakers, Keyboard & mouse are not required
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
I live in Mumbai. I'd prefer to buy in Mumbai.
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
nada

I hope that helps you guys decide. I would prefer an ASUS mobo, because of past experiences.
Thanks for any and all help!

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

AMD Athlon II x4 630 @ 4.7k
Biostar TA785G3 @ 3.7k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.5k
WD 500GB blue @ 2k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 15.9k
Thanks for the reply Jaskanwar.

I've never heard of Biostar. can you comment on MSI 785GM-E51 and ASUS M4A78LT-MLE?
Also, which make is the RAM?
Also, is it ok to cut costs on the cabinet and SMPS? would you comment on Circle cabinet + SMPS???

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Biostar is good, specially this motherboard. Go for MSI 785GM E51 only if biostar is not available. Stay away from Asus, recently there has been a lot of issues. Things change, don't go by the past experiences!
it is advised not to cut on cabinet & SMPS. At some point of time you'll regret it if you do that (although there may not be any problem in the short run).
You can consider Kingston RAM, I think jas had that in mind but forgot to mention.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
cool buddy i do not mention brand name for ram...because a person can get any good one available....

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

op
you want a reliable and long lasting config so a good cabinet and most importantly smps is a must...no no to circle ones..

ram can be any..transcend, corsair, g.skill, kingston and so on..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
all rams are good. all cabbies are ok. but not all PSUr are good. more than 99% PSU sold in India are bad (falling in Zebronics, iBall, Frontech, techcom, etc). & so the PC failing cases here is equally high.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
not all cabbies are good either. My friend's cabinet gives electric shocks at times. I think that's because somewhere the motherboard touches the cabinet at the wrong place. he has an iBall cabinet. better go for a good tested cabinet

Terabyte

In the zone
One way to cut cost is get 250GB HDD for 1.6k but then that not at all VFM when you get twice space for 2k
I think a tri-core should also be fine...something like Athlon X3 435 for 3.5k

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
not all cabbies are good either. My friend's cabinet gives electric shocks at times. I think that's because somewhere the motherboard touches the cabinet at the wrong place. he has an iBall cabinet. better go for a good tested cabinet

other than me, most of my firnds cabinet & my uncle cabinet give shock. you can't even attach a mobile. the mobile frame do.

Top Bottom