Additional Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
1. If I add additional hard drives to my computer, how would i make the FC 7 to identify it?
2. I believe that the application installation happens in the boot partition in linux. Is there any way by which I can increase this boot partition without reinstalling the entire distro, provided I already have free space available.
3. What utility can be used to make additional ext3 partitions in FC 7?

Nav11aug

In the zone
1. The extra harddrive would automatically detected and /etc/fstab would be updated too. It would have a different device no. like if your 1st HDD was /dev/sd0 ,this one might be /dev/sd1
2. Dnt know
3. fdisk in Linux itself, and there is a graphical counterpart too.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
1. Like he said, if not you have to put the mount points in /etc/fstab.
2. Not really, the application gets installed depending on the settings, mostly it happens in /usr and sometimes /home. Yes you can increase its size but its a very long process, not advised as can't guarantee a result. Basically what you do is, use a live-cd/rescue cd/some other installed(Linux) system, copy the entire contents of /boot to a new partition with large space and edit /etc/fstab to point to this new partition and delete the old /boot.
3. Gparted and QParted.

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
hitbox.champion said:
2. Not really, the application gets installed depending on the settings, mostly it happens in /usr and sometimes /home. Yes you can increase its size but its a very long process, not advised as can't guarantee a result. Basically what you do is, use a live-cd/rescue cd/some other installed(Linux) system, copy the entire contents of /boot to a new partition with large space and edit /etc/fstab to point to this new partition and delete the old /boot.

Can these settings be modified somewhere so that applications can be forced to get installed as per our wish?

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
Nav11aug said:
1. The extra harddrive would automatically detected and /etc/fstab would be updated too. It would have a different device no. like if your 1st HDD was /dev/sd0 ,this one might be /dev/sd1
2. Dnt know
3. fdisk in Linux itself, and there is a graphical counterpart too.

On typing 'fdisk' in terminal (after logging as root), I am getting the following error:

bash: fdisk: command not found

??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
pradeepbp said:
Can these settings be modified somewhere so that applications can be forced to get installed as per our wish?
Why would you want to do that?
Then you will have to get the source code and configure all the paths and then compile the apps. It would be nothing less than a waste of time and energy.

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
mehulved said:
Why would you want to do that?
Then you will have to get the source code and configure all the paths and then compile the apps. It would be nothing less than a waste of time and energy.

I am not going to do that. That enquiry was in academic interest only. However, thanks.

Nav11aug said:
are you root? if u rnt u might need to say
Code:
sudo fdisk

Check my earlier post; I was logged in as root while doing that.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Wait wait, there's an easy way. Just as you copy the existing /boot to a different partition and later mount it as /boot, you can do the same for /usr. Most of the apps will be installed here. You can move the entire exisiting /usr folder to a larger partition via a Live CD session and then edit fstab to mount it as /usr :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom