ACT Fibernet Hyderabad offers yet another tremendous Speed & Data Bumps! [08-09-2015]

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Make sure that your crowd funding crosses at least 50 lakhs to serve 500 customers in a 2km radius.

How exactly did you reach to that amount. 500 customers = 500 x 1000, if you take rent of Rs 1000 from each customers. That equals to Rs 5L in first month. So I guess 50L is a reasonable investment for a crowd funded ISP.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
How exactly did you reach to that amount. 500 customers = 500 x 1000, if you take rent of Rs 1000 from each customers. That equals to Rs 5L in first month. So I guess 50L is a reasonable investment for a crowd funded ISP.
Investment per subscriber including fiber roll out, CPE etc.. comes around 10k. 10k*500=?? And also in this example, you cannot afford to buy bandwidth from Tier-1 providers like TATA.. You need to resell someone else.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Investment per subscriber including fiber roll out, CPE etc.. comes around 10k. 10k*500=?? And also in this example, you cannot afford to buy bandwidth from Tier-1 providers like TATA.. You need to resell someone else.

Well, then Lets "FIND" an investor :)

Renny

Padawan
Hi - I need a clarification. I'm going in for a ACT connection (Bangalore), my doubt is whether I can use a regular WIFI modem/router with this connection. I know act is FTTH. What sort of cable/conenctor do they provide at the end point?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hi - I need a clarification. I'm going in for a ACT connection (Bangalore), my doubt is whether I can use a regular WIFI modem/router with this connection. I know act is FTTH. What sort of cable/conenctor do they provide at the end point?

RJ45 cat6 cable

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
ACT Is FTTB (Fiber to the Building).
Ask for any router which is compatible with Cable Broadband. These Routers have models names with 'N' or 'AC'.

'N' based routers use 2.4Ghz which have low throughput than 'AC' routers which use both 2.4 & 5Ghz which have better throughput as AC routers use both bands.
That's why you have N based routers for as cheap as 650/- while basic AC router starts from 1850/-

RJ 45 Jack is compatible with both Cat 5 & Cat 6 wires.
Cat 5 disadvantage is speed drops if the wiring between the End device and ONT is more than 100mts.
Cat 5e supports up to 1Gbps & Cat 6 supports to 10Gbps theoretically. FTTH is the best bet why provider chooses if the speeds are over 100Mbps, Because the ONT is in your home rather on the Terrace of the building in case of FTTB.

*i.imgur.com/QL5VOjJ.jpg

PS: Even some ADSL routers have models names with 'N' in it. They have RJ11 Jack port.

Last edited:

Renny

Padawan
ACT Is FTTB (Fiber to the Building).
Ask for any router which is compatible with Cable Broadband. These Routers have models names with 'N' or 'AC'.

'N' based routers use 2.4Ghz which have low throughput than 'AC' routers which use both 2.4 & 5Ghz which have better throughput as AC routers use both bands.
That's why you have N based routers for as cheap as 650/- while basic AC router starts from 1850/-

RJ 45 Jack is compatible with both Cat 5 & Cat 6 wires.
Cat 5 disadvantage is speed drops if the wiring between the End device and ONT is more than 100mts.
Cat 5e supports up to 1Gbps & Cat 6 supports to 10Gbps theoretically. FTTH is the best bet why provider chooses if the speeds are over 100Mbps, Because the ONT is in your home rather on the Terrace of the building in case of FTTB.

*i.imgur.com/QL5VOjJ.jpg

PS: Even some ADSL routers have models names with 'N' in it. They have RJ11 Jack port.

Thanks for the detailed info!

Can you recommend a good router for 3K (preferably one on which I can install a custom F/W) for a 2 storied 3 BHK home.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Thanks for the detailed info!

Can you recommend a good router for 3K (preferably one on which I can install a custom F/W) for a 2 storied 3 BHK home.
For Better coverage I recommend using two routers, One as Base router and the other one as repeater.

Buy two TPLINK 841N and bridge them. Yes, You can install custom Firmware (But you will loose warranty).

One D-Link DIR 816 + 841N would be overkill.

Repeater setup : *i.imgur.com/EIwIyxB.jpg

Renny

Padawan
For Better coverage I recommend using two routers, One as Base router and the other one as repeater.

Buy two TPLINK 841N and bridge them. Yes, You can install custom Firmware (But you will loose warranty).

One D-Link DIR 816 + 841N would be overkill.

Repeater setup : *i.imgur.com/EIwIyxB.jpg

I ordered the TPLINK one. I have an existing Linksys wifi router, can I use it as a repeater with the TPLINK one as the base router?

Renny

Padawan
Check it online. if that model supports bridging then yes.

Hi, got the TP Link. Does ACT provide dynamic or static IP in Bangalore? Will logging on and off change the IP? There are conflicting reports of them providing both dynamic and static IP.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Hi, got the TP Link. Does ACT provide dynamic or static IP in Bangalore? Will logging on and off change the IP? There are conflicting reports of them providing both dynamic and static IP.
Because of depleting ipv4 i heard they're allotting internal IP's. Not sure on this.

Last i heard its Dynamic IP addressing.

Top Bottom