About Operating System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
@qwerty
what i mean is if that guy has never worked on OS(i dnt think he hasnt) then its no prob...but if he has wrked on win b4 the migrating and getting used to KDE and GNOME takes bit of time....this is from my personal exp...i've been using(rather tasting ;-))diff flavoures of linux for a month now.....as far as gimp is concerned...geting hang of it is a prob(i tried gimp in xp,and its nice!!!).

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
well guys i think rather than which os to go for we should tell its pros & cons and let the person to decide himself rather than forcing a particular thing on him. after its all the matter of personal choice:) and its a democracy

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
aryayush said:
If you buy a copy of genuine Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 and all the hardware required to run it, it will cost you in excess of forty thousand for a half decent system and in excess of sixty thousand for a good one. iMac 17" is available for Rs. 50,000 only. It is NOT only for the filthy rich. For that price you get an incredibly cool, wireless and compact desktop with a remote running on one of the best processors and the best operating system in the world. And the class it exudes is just priceless! You have to use a Mac to comprehend how outstanding a product it is.
And Linux according to you is the ultimate OS? LOL! Even the simplest Linux distro needs a helluva lot of troubleshooting to get it to do simple tasks such as playing a video, a flash file or even installing an application. The lack of hardware support is another major concern.

Yeah, sure! The next best thing since sliced bread!! :lol:

I recently purchased an Apple MacBook Pro 17" and installed Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 using Boot Camp on it thinking that I might have to use it because I was new to Mac or it might cause some problem. Till date, the only times I have booted into Windows were when my father wanted to play Solitaire! :p
Yo, that's what you think. I've not had ANY issues running linux FYKI. No hardware issues, no media problems, no installing problems either. And naw naw naw, I am 17 and have had no courses, no books, nothing related to linux; just 32 hours on it and I was ready. You havent tried out a package manager I assume. And dont use 'troubleshooting' at the wrong place. what trouble are you shooting at? I dont see any!
Am not against mac but I would also like to point out that when one's prime objective is to play games, and he has a 50k budget for it, why would he go for a mac where he can get an XP system at a lower price ? Filthy rich in computering meant more than the average one spends (35-40) on the system, I wasnt talking about lacs. And not to mention the low availiblity of products for macs, not too low but definitely lower than XP and Linux.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Linux is the better choice. It's cheaper (TCO), reliable, secure. There are very good
softwares available for DTP & Office work. Once the person he/she understands
Linux & get used to the environment. They will prefer Linux!!!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
QwertyManiac said:
Yo, that's what you think. I've not had ANY issues running linux FYKI. No hardware issues, no media problems, no installing problems either. And naw naw naw, I am 17 and have had no courses, no books, nothing related to linux; just 32 hours on it and I was ready. You havent tried out a package manager I assume. And dont use 'troubleshooting' at the wrong place. what trouble are you shooting at? I dont see any!
Am not against mac but I would also like to point out that when one's prime objective is to play games, and he has a 50k budget for it, why would he go for a mac where he can get an XP system at a lower price ? Filthy rich in computering meant more than the average one spends (35-40) on the system, I wasnt talking about lacs. And not to mention the low availiblity of products for macs, not too low but definitely lower than XP and Linux.
See, you can install Windows or Linux on a Mac along with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x, but you cannot install OS X on a PC. To top that off, you do not even need to restart to boot into the other OSes.
Just do this little exercise. Go to your nearest Apple authorised reseller and ask them to give you the demo of an iMac. Use it once. I am sure you won't be quite so sure of your comments after you have used it. I have seen people switching to Linux and going back to Windows but I haven't seen people leaving the Mac platform in favour of Windows or Linux. That does not mean that they are inferior, but a Mac is just infinitely superior. I did not much care for a Mac earlier... but that was before I bought an Apple MacBook Pro 17". This machine totally changed the way I thought about Apple and its products.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you want a low cost and less maintaince option, I'd say linux will be a good idea along with scribus.
Here's a small article on scribus *linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/09/scribus-free-dtp-software-for-linux.html.
You can obtain scribus from *www.scribus.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index. It's available for linux as well as windows and Mac.
BTW, I wonder if he checked the topic again. No replies from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom