A Vista kill switch would be good for Linux?????????

A Vista kill switch would be good for Linux

• Yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ankitsagwekar

There seems to be a lot of talk about a potential kill switch in Windows Vista, but that would be very good news for Linux and open source adoption in most of the world and perhaps even college campuses. The tighter the anti-piracy controls on Microsoft software is, the wider the adoption of Linux.

A person in China for example making $300 a month will save up and spend $400 on a computer. They will spend 100 Yuan (about $12) on home grown software but they will never spend $100 on software when they can buy a black market copy for $1. If that wasn't available or if Microsoft made it impossible to use the software because of WGA, they'll simply stop using Windows and stop using Microsoft Office and use Linux and Open Office. In Government agencies in the third world, this is often the case unless they're able to negotiate an extremely low price from Microsoft. Even Bill Gates admitted that people can't buy software until the economic standards are raised in the third world.

There is a similar dynamic with college students though not as extreme with American college students since they have a little more money. College students also have the academic versions of the software available to them but even that's a problem for some. Many college students will resort to copied software but when those same students graduate and join the work force and have money, they become loyal paying customers. If they can't copied software then they'll simply use free Linux and Open Source solutions and they'll continue to do so even when their economic status changes.

Microsoft has more or less always turned a blind eye towards individuals who use pirated Microsoft software though they'll implement a few hurdles to using it such as the lack of updates and patches or they'll turn off Aero functionality in Windows Vista. Is it possible Microsoft could suddenly harden their stance on unauthorized copies of Microsoft software? It certainly is, but it would be a great boon to Linux and Open Source.

from *blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=339&tag=nl.e622

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
but...we must remember that "you have to pay for stablility."And we cannot ignore from the fact that microsoft are leader in giving stability.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
noooo, i totally wasted my 1 hr replying meditator's long post and some one moderated the whole crap outta here. come on that's unfair.

whoever moderated this thread just seconds after my longest post , damn man :p this one really hurt :cry:

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I am sorry about it tarey but I had to move that over to Fight Club section.
Just check that thread I guess your post is there. Those replies deserved to go in there, I will leave this thread here for the time being anyways though it seems very likely to start another long list of debates.

OP
G

gxsaurav

a clean thread, now this is good

with solid anti-piracy measures, Vista will sure driver some users to try linux. Those who wanna learn will like it, those who don't wanna learn it will simply stick to Windows XP SP2,& wait for right time to buy Vista, either using piracy or OEM edition etc

ketanbodas

Journeyman
gxsaurav said:
a clean thread, now this is good

with solid anti-piracy measures, Vista will sure driver some users to try linux. Those who wanna learn will like it, those who don't wanna learn it will simply stick to Windows XP SP2,& wait for right time to buy Vista, either using piracy or OEM edition etc

Vista may also get cracked. Dont You think so ?

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
ruthless said:
Vista Will be a positive catalyst to linux:|
you think so?
but that would only spply to countries where people have ethics and wont pirate.
talk about linux here and the better people will politely reply,
'whats linux?' whilst the not so polite ones will act as if your delusional...

mediator

Technomancer
tarey_g said:
noooo, i totally wasted my 1 hr replying meditator's long post
OMG! 1 hr ???? :D:D:D !
Neways continue from here! *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=320261#post320261

goobimama

 Macboy
I will definitely buy a copy Photoshop when I'm comfortable... so yes, if we cannot pirate windows vista, then linux it is (Actually, windows xp it is...)

ruthless

Lin Win Mac
jz2linkinpark said:
you think so?
but that would only spply to countries where people have ethics and wont pirate.
talk about linux here and the better people will politely reply,
'whats linux?' whilst the not so polite ones will act as if your delusional...

I really hope that tis situation change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom