A software .... for ....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
rahul_becks23

rahul_becks23

Padawan
well , i dont need a password protection feature ........ i need a software that does this ( as said by l_star ) ......... -->

Lucky_star said:
But his main objective here is to allow his friends to copy the files, and at the same time making that files useless. :D

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
wat the hell....use default windows encryption na....right click on any file and say encrypt..it wont open in any....any other win installation..thats probably bcos it uses system sig to encrypt the file.so it opens on that machine for that user only....

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
romeo_8693 said:
wat the hell....use default windows encryption na....right click on any file and say encrypt..it wont open in any....any other win installation..thats probably bcos it uses system sig to encrypt the file.so it opens on that machine for that user only....
Hmmmmmm, but what if someone have FAT32 file system???

shaunak

Tux Fan
rahul_becks23 said:
Is there any software that can encrypt my files so that ......... whenever anyone copies my files ( like MP3s ) to their computers , they wont be able to run it .

Actually you can do it through WMP.

Go to tools> options > rip music> choose "wma" as the format and check copy protect music.

Quoting:

MS help center said:
If you copy protect the tracks that you rip from a CD, the ripped files are protected, which means that media usage rights are required to play, burn, or sync the file. If you copy the files to another computer and try to use them, you might be prompted to download media usage rights for that computer. There are a limited number of times that you can download media usage rights for your ripped files.

If you intend to use your ripped music on multiple computers, do not copy protect the files. If you want to limit the distribution of any songs that you rip, turn on copy protection before ripping. Note that you can't remove copy protection from a file once it has been applied. Copy protection is only available when you rip music to a Windows Media Audio (WMA) format.

This way anyone using your file will have to get permission.

OP
rahul_becks23

rahul_becks23

Padawan
romeo_8693 said:
I'll check that out .................

n2casey

romeo_8693 said:
well i guess encryption is encryption!doesnt depend on file system!!(prove me wrong!)
It depends on file system coz FAT32 file system doesn't provide any option to encrypt the file. NTFS support encrypting of files but FAT32 doesn't.

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
ya rahul..
thebest way to do is winrar protection
i have one file in my pc...which require password everytime when i open it...
even after copying....

rajasekharan

Youngling
well . . what if i encrypt a file in NTFS and try to open in FAT 32 in another comp . . i dont think it will work :). so i guess we can encrypt :). or yes , there is always that winrar :).

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
shaunak said:
Actually you can do it through WMP.

Go to tools> options > rip music> choose "wma" as the format and check copy protect music.

Quoting:

This way anyone using your file will have to get permission.

When he wants to copy music to his relatives or some near friend, then wat?? :D

n2casey

rajasekharan said:
well . . what if i encrypt a file in NTFS and try to open in FAT 32 in another comp . . i dont think it will work :). so i guess we can encrypt :). or yes , there is always that winrar :).
Yes u can ecrypt in NTFS system.
Not only WinRAR, Winzip also gives u option for 128 bit encryption but in the case of audio file, the disadvantage of such encryption is, u have to decrypt the file b4 playing it.

OP
rahul_becks23

rahul_becks23

Padawan
well , can anyone do this for me .......... just a little thing ........

Encrypt a MP3 file in ur NTFS system .......... copy it to another computer ( NTFS or FAT , whatever ) ..........and then run it.........and tell me what happens .

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
dude i tried that on a txt file..i cudnt open it in linux also...so i feel thats the best way...ne case the file type doesnt effect the ecryption...for it they are just bits and bytes...:)

n2casey

romeo_8693 said:
dude i tried that on a txt file..i cudnt open it in linux also...so i feel thats the best way...ne case the file type doesnt effect the ecryption...for it they are just bits and bytes...:)
No-no, u didn't understand, I m not talking about file type, I m talikng about FAT32 file system. Just visit here & u can understand the difference btwn FAT32 & NTFS.

::cyborg::

In the zone
@rahul rename them to .txt

@nightmare dude change ur avatar for god sake i keep my hand on screen while reading ur post

OP
rahul_becks23

rahul_becks23

Padawan
well , i cant rename all my files to .txt ................ but has anyone tried this on exe or mp3 files..........i request someone to try it out on a windows installalation ( dont matter fat ot ntfs ... just try it plzzzzz... )

@::cyborg:: -
lol
Another key feature of NTFS is the ability to encrypt files and directories; this process is transparent to the user. Win2K/XP includes the ability to encrypt data directly on volumes that use the NTFS file system so that the data cannot be used by any other user. Files and folders can be encrypted by setting an attribute in the object's Properties dialog box. The Encrypting File System (EFS)is the file encryption technology Microsoft uses to encrypt data directly on volumes that use the NTFS file system. You can use the encrypted data the same way you use non-encrypted data. In addition, you can configure permissions for your encrypted data to prevent unauthorized use. Someone who does not have the correct permissions receives an Access Denied error message if they try to open, copy, move, or rename an encrypted file or folder.
------------------------------------------

what if i reinstall my windows ................. i will never be able to run my files....................... :(

Last edited:

n2casey

@ rahul_becks23

Ask Vishal, maybe he can tell u a way to reinstall windows with decryption possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom