A small vista problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
Hi I'm using Vista ultimate with sp1 installed on a compaq laptop, my problem is, that while copying large files or many files at a time, if i try to move the copy dialog box, the copy dialog box hangs and says not responding, but it copies fine in the end & nI can use other programs while it says that. What I wanted to know is why does this happen ?

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Seems like you have low powered graphics card. It can not keep up the screen refresh thing Try increasing the RAM dedicated to graphics card, may be it would help. What is the mobo in laptop?

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
There is malfunction in your graphics card as kumarmohit said earlier. I think there is memory problem too.

Upgrade your memory modules, should work fine.:)

D@rekills4

In the zone
Low Graphics

Its seems you have Low Graphics
And besides you have a Laptop so you cant change your Graphic Card:(
I don't think there is any memory problem
As KumarMohit said try increasing the RAM

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I understand what are you talking about. This problem was introduced in SP1. Mostly happens while copying data from CD/DVD. Everything goes fine but as soon as you click somewhere the dialog box gets hanged but the copying continues. Everything becomes fine after the copying gets finished.

Try to disable DEP using following command:

Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff
Provide above command using Administrator and restart your system. Now check whether the problem still persists or not.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ I'm glad. Its a security feature in Vista but also causes problems many times. If you have installed a a good anti-virus like avast!, NOD32, etc, then you don't need to worry about security and keep DEP disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom