A problem while setting my home pc as a web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

anurag_bhd

May the Force be with you
Impressed by the Digit Fast-track of the month of July 2006, I configured my PC as a web server using certain tools like the latest versions of EasyPHP, some hands on some CMSes etc. All's set up properly, according to the instructions provided by the Digit people. Even the *localhost redirects me to a properly set up website with no problems at all.
I would like to mention that I've a BSNL Dataone connection of 256Kbps and their default modem/router that comes up with a Dataone connection. So, I get my IP dynamically assigned. And i m using the NO-IP solution for it.
I've enabled the ports 80 and 25 of my modem through the "Virtual Server" option in the modem administration and alloted them the IP of my modem that is 192.168.1.1. But the problem is that, whenever my friend tries to open my site thru my IP or the no-ip sub-domain alloted to me, the modem interface loads up in his browser asking for username and password of the Router/modem administration area.

What and how must I configure my computer or modem so as to get my webpage displayed on everyone's computer?

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Check out your modem configuration, there should be something like enable remote administration or administration from WAN, disable that.

OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Though I could not find any setting relating to the disabling of the "Remote Administration", but the website related to Port Forwarding was too good. I've configured my modem as per their instructions and now hope to see my computer turn into a web server soon. :D
FTP
HTTP
SMTP

But all in vein. My problem remains the same.
Is there any setting I need to do to open port for the PHP?

What else do I need to configure to get my web server up and running on the internet?

Last edited:

kalpik

I have an airtel modem so cant really give you very specifis instructions, but the remote admin thing is the culprit. I have done that on a friend's BSNL modem, but dunno where the setting is exactly. Just try to search for it :(

OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

kalpik said:
I have an airtel modem so cant really give you very specifis instructions, but the remote admin thing is the culprit. I have done that on a friend's BSNL modem, but dunno where the setting is exactly. Just try to search for it :(

I still cannot find the Remote Administrator setting in my modem.
May be your friend used the latter versions of the BSNL modem.

Do you know if there is a need to open port for PHP?
Or any setting that you think I might have missed?

Please help me in that matter.
I am now fed up trying time and again configuring my modem......

kalpik

There is no such setting in PHP. Its the modem that's the problem. Everything else is fine. If nothing else is working out, you can run apache on a different port (other than 80) and then open it up on your modem. That should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom