A petition for bigger avatars

Bigger Avatars?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
The forum avatars as we know them are restricted to 80x80 pixel dimensions and 15KB max file size. And this has been the case for the past so many years. Now am I the only one who feels that a lot of users have now got broadband speeds and we can manage to surf with slightly larger avatars?

Most forums on the net have much larger icons. It's hard to come by forums with restrictions of even 100x100. So what say guys. Who out here thinks that we could do with some larger avatars?

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c0b72430bc.png
Sorry Mr. Virus killer for using your post... it was in the flow of things...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i think 100x100 is fine. however, the size restriction should be made 50kB. we do haf a lot of dial up user here. we shouldn't ignore them.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
The current size is 80x80. I was thinking at least 100x100... and I say this being a dialup user...

And that avatar in that picture (the small cat) is just about 6KB...

desai_amogh

In the zone
i put this avtar when i joined this forum & was thinking its too boring .. i started updating it just today .. & what the heck it wont take any avtar i selected.. 15 kb is toooooooooo less... plz increase it to atleast 50 KB.

cud be off topic:D : instead of decreasing size of usual pictures .. is there a website where we can find good avtars.. or pictures with low resolution & size ??

Last edited:

Sourabh

Laptoping
I agree 80x80 px is too small. My vote goes for 100x100 px dimension.

A low file-size restriction is needed because some users don't compress the avatars for web usage. It ensures that if an animated GIF is used it's not too big. File-size should continue to be restricted to a minimum.

Let's see what the admins think of it.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
50KB per avatar nahin hoga. That's too big a file size per image. I'm just saying, increasing the file size a little but the size by a considerable amount makes sure that the forum doesn't slow down, but we get bigger avatars. As long as users compress the avatar well, there's nothing to lose.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
the prob will be its very hard to make 120*120 gif at file sizes like 20KB or 25KB. Even 50KB seems smaller considering 120*120 gif.
So it shud be made min 50KB. There's avatar free browsing option for non broadband browsers. So why shud we scale down?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
sorry to inform u guys but the court of fat being here does not pay heed to such petitions and are they get lost some where in the forum database :)

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Well Fatbeing had promised to implement many pending upgradations on this forum like upgrading vB version and stuff but nothing significant has come except disabling the reputation system...And the thanx system too has not been reactivated..
I dunno if anything will be done this time too...
The avatar size should be increased to 100X100 px minimum with atleast 25KB file size limit...

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Democracy and Petitions dont work in the world of digit forum. We had requested a lot of things before but nothing has been done. we already have two dead threads. One for more themes and other for new smileys, both are dead threads.

utsav

damn busy...
agar avatars ka size 50 KB tak bada diya gaya toh woh digit forum mein mera akhri din hoga.
just think dudes.20 posts in a page and 20*50=1000KB/page only on avatars.means the resulting page size will be 1.1 MB:shock: .its insane for me who pays 2Rs/MB of data transfer.i would say size should increase to 100*100 but limit of data should remain same.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
^^There is option for non-broadband users(or BB users with data caps) to disable avatars...
And secondly not everyone will have an avatar of 50KB...
Even if you see now the average size of avatars is less than 5 KB though the limit is 15KB...so relax yaar...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
utsav said:
agar avatars ka size 50 KB tak bada diya gaya toh woh digit forum mein mera akhri din hoga.
just think dudes.20 posts in a page and 20*50=1000KB/page only on avatars.means the resulting page size will be 1.1 MB:shock: .its insane for me who pays 2Rs/MB of data transfer.i would say size should increase to 100*100 but limit of data should remain same.
Then you can disable avatars. Also, images and signatures can be disabled from your CP. I have already disabled them all.
So, don't worry about dial up/limited data transfer users. If they care about speed/data limit they can easily disable all the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom