A PC for my parents within Rs. 20000/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys I am going to purchase a system for my parents. Monitor, Mouse and UPS not needed. I am filling up the questionnaire template:-

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Basic word processing, web surfing, listening to music etc.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yes.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Rs. 20000/-

4. Planning to overclock?
A: May be.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7 Pro 64-bit

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Dell S1909W; 1366x768; 18.5"

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 9

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Will be done by a assembler.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: 2nd week of April.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Won't mind.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Graphics card.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Will be assembled @ Kolkata. Local rates from any shop from Chandni (Vedant, Supreme, MD Comp) will be welcome addition.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:
1. AMD CPU preferred.
2. mATX mobo.
3. Mention a mid-tower cabinet with good airflow that comes with a fan or two and provision to add extra fans if necessary. Include a 2.1 speakers and if possible a webcam. I will provide a APC BackUPS RS 500 and a Logitech optical mouse apart from the montior.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
AMD athlon ii x3 440 @ 3.25k
Gigabyte 880GM UD2H @ 4k
Kingston 2 GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 1.2k
WD caviar blue 500GB @ 1.75k
Cooler Master Elite 310 @ 1.5k
FSP saga 350w @ 1.4k
LG DVD writer @ 0.9k
Logitech Multimedia Keyboard @ 0.4k
Logitech Webcam @ 0.9k
Total 14.9k

I'm not sure about the speakers but nothing else is required for your parent's needs.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Component|Model|Price
CPU|AMD X4 640|4.5k
Motherboard|Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H|3.4k
RAM|Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz|2.2k
HDD|Seagate 500GB 7200.12|1.7k
Case|CM Elite 310|1.5k
DVD|LG Sata DVD|0.9k
PSU|FSP SagaII 500W|2k
KB/Mouse|Logitech MK100|0.5k
Speaker|Altec Lancing VS2621|1.5k
TOTAL||18.2k
This will last them for ages :D Mod of Cyber's rig.

Last edited:
OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Cybertonic & Ishu for quick reply. Combining the two suggestions I get:

Component | Model | Price
CPU|AMD X4 640|4.5k
Motherboard|Gigabyte 880GM UD2H|4k
RAM|Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz|2.2k
HDD|Seagate/WD 500GB 7200.12|1.7k
Case|CM Elite 310|1.5k
DVD|LG Sata DVD|0.9k
PSU|FSP SagaII 500W|2k
KB/Mouse|Logitech MK100|0.5k
Speaker|Altec Lancing VS2621|1.5k
Webcam|Logitech Webcam|0.9k
TOTAL ||19.7k

Any modifications on these? What's the price of 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz? I have found them pretty cheap at online shops.

@ Ishu
Yeah, I really want to build something that should last ages. :D Heck, that CPU-chipset-RAM combo would be much much faster than my 2-year old PC. To hell with Intel... :( No way to to upgrade the CPU without changing the mobo & RAM.

=================================================================================================================================
Also guys I want to purchase a mouse. Please check this thread and reply:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/137699-help-me-buy-mouse.html
=================================================================================================================================

Last edited:

sparx

TechFanatic
Do you really need 1600 MHz RAM,your parents won't even understand thw performance difference between 1333 & 1600

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ sparx
Not about parents' understanding or need, if the price difference is only 200-300 bucks I think its better to put something speedier. In all probability, this PC would not see any upgrades throughout its life. That's why I want to make it as much top-end as possible within the budget. I am leaning towards the quad-core for this reason only. You never really know how future software or OS upgrade would behave, just in case.

sparx

TechFanatic
As you wish, but those frequency difference matters in gaming and high end PC, it will not show even 5% increase in performance in normal pc usage, as far as I know. Thats why I was telling

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I think I would take a decision after getting the prices from the shops. In any case, don't want to overshoot the budget as its pretty meaningless. As far as performance of RAM goes I also think you are pretty much right, its only that the prices are very close.

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
And you don't need SB for word and internet.

EDIT: Posted in your mouse thread.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think that mobos onboard IGP is more than enough to handle HD movies.

@ OP - I have doubts about the availability of FSP psu in local market ( though if you find one don't forget to post ) - so my recommendation for the PSu is Corsair CX400 @ 2.4k and don't forget to buy and add a 120mm fan on that CM Eliue 310 cabby for proper air circulation.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont you need a GPU for watching HD movies.
Radeon 5450 @ 2.3k will be more than sufficient.

^^ I think that mobos onboard IGP is more than enough to handle HD movies.

@ OP - I have doubts about the availability of FSP psu in local market ( though if you find one don't forget to post ) - so my recommendation for the PSu is Corsair CX400 @ 2.4k and don't forget to buy and add a 120mm fan on that CM Eliue 310 cabby for proper air circulation.

I also think that IGP is powerful enough to handle HD movies.

@ topgear Does that CM Elite comes with any fans or not?

masterkd

Padawan
in elite 310 Rear 120 x 25mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM / 17 dBA is provided!!

buy a front 120 mm fan with that and air circulation will be better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom