A PC for my Daughter

Tanmay Satpathy

Sing Along Samsung
Hello Everyone

My daughter, who is 10 yrs old, needs a PC. Primary use would be internet, some games, photoshop, family videos, watching movies.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Watching HD Movies, Casual Photoshoping, Lot's of Internet Browsing, Editing Family Videos, Casual Gaming

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:30 k approx

4. Planning to overclock?
A:No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Windows 7 with Other Linux Flavors

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500gb x 2 = 1TB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:22-23" Screen, Preferably LED Full HD

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:3

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:Would love to assemble one.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:Within a week

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Somewhat

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:Speakers

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Bhubaneswar

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:Budget is indicative, can be expanded if required.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Right now there is no need to go for a high end or even a medium range system because when your daughter will be the age of really using the system, it is going to be obsoleted, no matter how much you are gonna pay right now.

So suggesting a basic system configuration that will satisfy all your needs.

Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz @ 3.4k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4.1K
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz C9 @ 1.2K
Cooler Master Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Logitech Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Combo @ 0.8k
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB @ 1.8k
LG 22x DVD @ 1k
BenQ 22" G2220 FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 7.3k
FSP saga II 500W @ 2.1k
Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5@ 5.1k

Total 28.4K.
Now I am also in Bhubaneswar and believe me, not all the components are available here. So you can actually purchase some of the items from Online shops like Deltapage.com. Recently a couple of forum members who are from bhubaneswar actually purchased from these sites and their shipping is very good. Regarding Hard Disk if you want a more, then go for Seagate 1 TB HDD available at 2.7K

OP
Tanmay Satpathy

Tanmay Satpathy

Sing Along Samsung
Any configuration based on the Intel processor?

I want a mid-range system, as sometimes I may need to use it. Also the plan is the configuration should run upto at least 3-4 years. Thats why quad core, 1gb HD graphics and 4gb ram is required.

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
the config mentioned by clius is a good one
it will be more than enough as far as your needs are concerned
but since u mentioned linux and its derivatives you should look out for nvidia cards rather than AMD because the latter has bad driver support for linux
within your budget u can go for Zotac/MSI GTS 250 1gb or GTS 450 1gb if possible

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Well i would like to recommend a quadcore processor like an amd athlon 2 x4 640 @ 5k. Also opt for 4gb ram instead of 2 as ddr3 prices are dirt cheap now.

And an Asus gts 450 direct cu @ 6.5k-7k will suffice your linux requirements.

Rest of the config. is fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom