A PC for a father and daughter duo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashok@digit

Right off the assembly line
…and in a pinch

Its time to upgrade my 2000 vintage IBM with an updated rig. Usage will be daughter’s school work and my video and audio processing. Tentative configuration:

STANDARD CONFIG
(Budget approx Rs. 20,000)

Processor
Core 2 Duo 2.80Ghz E7400 - 3MB L2 cache 2.80Ghz, 1066MHz)

Motherboard
XFX NForce 610i / GeForce 7050 1066FSB

Hard Disk
Seagate SATA2 320 GB (16 MB Buffer) ST3320418AS

RAM
Kingston, DDR 2, 2 GB, 667 Mhz

Optical Drive
LG 20X DVD Writer

Cabinet
Zebronics Bijli with 400W SMPS

LCD Panel
Samsung 17 '' 740NW

Keyboard + Mouse
Logitech

HIGH END CONFIG
(Budget approx Rs. 30,000)

Processor
Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz E8400, 6MB L2 cache, 3.0Ghz 1333MHz

Motherboard
XFX nForce 630i / GeForce 7150 (MG-630I-7159)

Hard Disk
Seagate SATA2 320 GB (16 MB Buffer) ST3320418AS, (3 Qty)

RAM
Kingston, DDR 2, 2 GB, 800 Mhz (2 Qty)

Optical Drive
LG 20X DVD Writer

Cabinet
Cooler Master Elite 330 & eXtreme Power Plus 390 Combo

LCD Panel
Samsung 17 '' 740NW

Keyboard + Mouse
Logitech

The logic for selection of above components is:

• Price/performance ratio
  • Availability in my small town
Can I have comments and price check suggestions? I can source items from Kolkata as well.

I am hoping that based on price suggestions in this forum I can hit vendors for a deal.

Thanks in advance :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
For audio and video processor, get a processor with 3 or 4 cores.

for 30k:

1) AMD X3 720: 7.3k-7.5k
2) Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H : 5.1k or Jetway HA07 Ultra: 6k
3) Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz ram: 3k
4) Seagate SATA2 500GB: 3k (why did you select 3 320GB HDDs)
5) Samsung/Dell 19" display: 7k-7.5k

Rest is your choice.

seriously speaking, that X3 720 easily beats E8xxx in video/audio processing. If you want Intel only, go for a Quad core Q8200 atleast.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Even i was going to suggest that. Phenom x3 720 motherboard - msi 780G board and 4 gb of corsair xms2 ram

OP
ashok@digit

ashok@digit

@ desiibond
@ ssk_the_gr8

Thanks for the very helpful replies both.

I apologise that I wasn’t very clear with my usage pattern in the OP. The audio and video processing will be done once a while. Its not a full time rig for such an activity. Let’s say the ratioof general and AV/DV application will be 80:20.

I want to stick to Intel CPU. Many DV applications are optimised for that.

3 hard disk are needed for DV application. HD#1 will be have the application and raw AVI. HD#2 will have the temp file. HD#3 will host the output (mpg) file. This usually speeds up things.

Do you guys have any price recommendations for the list?

TIA.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
ah okay.

for Intel, as I said earlier, go for a quad core atleast. :) Get the best that you can get.

OP
ashok@digit

ashok@digit

.... go for a quad core atleast
Thanks

Quad Core will push the overall budget (inculding a capabale MB) beyond my budget. From my reading on various fora the E8400 supposedlly is good value on price performace basis.

What could be the cheapest Quad Core CPU and Motherboard combination?

TIA

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
If you are going intel then i'd suggest msi p7ngm-digital as the motherboard. And q8200 as cpu.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
and it is lot lot faster in video and audio and also in regular work. The only area where E8200/E8400 gets upper hand is in gaming.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
@ ahsok@digit: You can order this online, it will be shipped to you.

X3 720 B.E. 2.8GHz @ 7.8k
Biostar TA790GX 128M @ 5.8k
2*2=4GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz RAM @ 2k
CM 334 Elite w/o PSU @ 1.8k
Corsair VX450W @ 4k
Samsung 2033SW 20" LCD @ 7.5k
MS/Logitech kbd.mouse @ 0.8k
Altec Lansing BX1121 2.1 @ 1.3k
500GB Seagate 7200.12 @ 3.1k
DVD Writer @ 1.2k

Total = Rs. 35,300

This is an AMD Tri-Core processor, which is better than a Core 2 Duo. And if you ever feel like you want a Quad-Core processor, JUST UNLOCK IT via Motherboard BIOS settings(yes, it's possible, jus' google to know more).

And if your daughter ever gets into gaming, just pop in a 10k card(this PSU has more than enough juice for it) and her gaming needs shall be satisfied too.

OP
ashok@digit

ashok@digit

@ ssk_the_gr8 & desiibond
Q8200 is a sensible suggestion, and just what I was hoping to receive in this wonderful forum. Gaming is not a priority for us so Q8200 is a great idea. Which motherboard (preferably under Rs. 4K) should be good to go with it?

@ comp@ddict
Quite honestly I was not considering an AMD powered solution, but your excellent post pushes me to investigate this more closely. As mentioned, our typical use will be general everyday application and DV work once a while. This will be mostly editing, mixing and converting AVI to mpg for creating DVD’s. Audio processing will include converting vinyl LP records to CD audio and some amount of mixing. I always had the idea that AMD was a gamer’s chip. Do you think it will be good for AV/DV work as well?

TIA

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Ashok, you should seriously consider Phenom II X4 810 once. Do some digging and you will understand that Intel isn't everything now :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
+1 for X3 720
there is NO compatibility issues or anythin with these AMD proccys. And phenom II are eqaually good or even better in AV than E8xxx proccys.
and also the IGP of these 780/790 mobos are much better than intel IGPs.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
@ comp@ddict
Quite honestly I was not considering an AMD powered solution, but your excellent post pushes me to investigate this more closely. As mentioned, our typical use will be general everyday application and DV work once a while. This will be mostly editing, mixing and converting AVI to mpg for creating DVD’s. Audio processing will include converting vinyl LP records to CD audio and some amount of mixing. I always had the idea that AMD was a gamer’s chip. Do you think it will be good for AV/DV work as well?
It will rock. And plus, the onboard HD3300 graphics is simply superb, why gaming isn't at all a disappointment for casual gamers with the onboard gfx of this AMD solution. SO I say, go for it.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent

Even in the past when AMD was both faster and cheaper, more people bought Intel systems than AMD simply because Intel has more brand prominence. It's true that, with the introduction of Core 2 technology, Intel has surpassed AMD in sheer speed. But AMD still provides better price/performance ratio.

Not long ago, I assembled two machines for a friend for video editing work. I chose a system based on the AMD Phenom II X4 920 because, while an Intel i7 920 would be somewhat faster at rendering and converting AVI files (by roughly 10%), it would have cost much more. The price difference (about 15k at that time) is not only in the processors themselves. The Intel motherboard costs much more and also needs the more expensive DDR3. And, as others have pointed out, AMD usually has better onboard graphics.

To put it in a nutshell, for the same overall cost, AMD is faster. Conversely, AMD is cheaper for the same performance. There may be exceptions to this in certain categories, but that's it in general.

acewin

Point Blanc
an not jsut that, bcoz gfx and video editting will run better on AMD, bocz of much better onboard gfx that on intel which onboard gfx sucks big time

go with the the config suggested by comp@ddict,
more mobo for ur choice
Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H : 5.1k or Jetway HA07 Ultra: 6k as desibond gave.
and u r getting triple core proccy (I think as per ur usage u wont be doing any OC or unlokcing of the forth core so u can also think of phenom 2 810

acewin

Point Blanc
I watch alot of movies, and have intel based system in office and home.
They suck big time when I try to play a 720p video, though the the office rig is a C2D, but the onboard gfx is very very bad.

Yeah. Do consider the AMD system. AMD has long ago lost the tag that its only for gamers. Infact, for a while during the Core2 era, it was considered HORRIBLE for gaming. Only the Phenom II CPUs are getting back the gaming tag.

Anyway, I suggest you go with AMD if budget is a priority. It has better Price/Performance ratio.

You can try reducing budget for motheboard by getting the Biostar A780G M2+ @ 3.2k instead of Biostar TA790GX 128M @ 5.8k since you don't need crossfire support anyway.

For CPU, I suggest Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz B.E. @ 7.5k.

But yeah, if you want to unlock the 4th core from a 720BE you should get the more expensive board. But then, you will spend 2.2K extra which is not worth spending for a 50% chance of unlocking an extra core. You can directly buy Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz @ 9k instead and save Rs. 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom