a laptop for schoolwork and casual gaming

rabjabber

Journeyman
hi guys,
i need a laptop for heavy schoolwork. i want a tough laptop as it will be used roughly.
i have narrowed down to two laptops this(sony) and this (dell)
i've heard samsung laptops are also good. suggest me a samsung equivalent also. and pls tell me the best laptop and WHY??

also do my selections contain original microsoft office full version??? this is very important. if not, suggest me the best laptop within 40k - 45k that has microsoft office

vipulgreattt

Broken In
Neither of these. Both have second generation processor, which you may wana ignore now as 3rd generation processors are already out. If you want Dell in this budget you can buy Dell Inspiron 15R (not special edition). You can also run some games with its quite fair GPU and the 3rd generation processor won't heat up much.
Also there is option to customize where you can opt for MS Office based on your need.

About tough Laptop, I am not sure how tough you need. I hear that Lenovo Thinkpads are quite good for that purpose. I'm sure some owner here can throw some light on that.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
40000 - 45000 INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Netbook; 11" - 10” screen or less
Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

thin and light - mainstream (it should have a dvd writer)

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: dell, sony, samsung, hp
b. Dislike: lenovo, compaq

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
i will be taking it to my school, so it will involve heavy school/office work music and movies, a lot of internet, and very less gaming ( only once a week) games like hot pursuit, virtua tennis 4, team fortress 2 etc.. tough use includes carrying it around the school in a bag pack and lying on a desk for the rest of the day...........

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
preferably more than 1920 * 900 but not necessarily

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
i am open to buying it online from flipkart or snapdeal but only if it doesn't raise warranty issues, because i live near ambala and i will be using it in delhi, so if any problem occurs it has to be solved within two dayts in delhi....

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
IMO, you should go with this (FK) which in delhi local shop should be available by 35K.

toughness is a guaranty look here

You can add a Windows 7 and/or Office genuine as in 45K price range laptop, you could get a Office starter pack only, not any other version.
The added price is also like 43~45K plus add a 4GB Ram in 1.2K and you are ready to rock.
Forget about getting higher res as the price barrier here.

The piece could seems to you a overpriced one but it is a business laptop, lightweight, long battery backup and with docking station support which you may need in future. You dislike lenevo as you said but it's my suggestion and now your call.

Addition: Buy OEM versions, it will cost you lesser.

rider

as Kratos
The best for you is to get HP Pavilion G6 Series G6-2016TX
Comes with genuine 64bit windows7, new 3rd gen core-i5 processor, Radeon HD 7670M 1GB DDR3, weighs just 2.4 kg and excellent battery backup.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
hey guys,
are the 3rd gen processors really better than 2nd gen??

there is not a gud laptop in my price range that has 3rd gen and a dedicated graphics card

if the games like nfs run, fifa 11, virtua tennis 4, and team fortress 2 run without a gfx card i'll go for hp envy ultrabook
if they won't work without gfx card i will go for 2nd gen proseccor n a gfx card combo from dell or vaio.........

rider

as Kratos
yes 3rd gen are far better than 2nd gen in gaming performance.
The new 3rd gen Intel HD 4000 GPU is as good as nvidia GT 525M of dell xps 15.

For ultrabook I would suggest a core-i5.
I don't think core-i3 ULV processor can handle minimum settings.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
performance wise 2nd and 3rd processor are same but in graphics section, rider explained it.

and case of ultrabook the processor may fail to hit turbo in both cpu & gpu. And that will make it perform more like HD3000. But TF2 will easily run on a normal 3rd gen Core i processor. Source engine is really light.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
guys i'm thinking about buying this or this

they both have 3rd gen i5 but the diff. is dat 14r has NVidia GeForce GT 630M DDR3 1GB and 15r has AMD Radeon HD 7670M DDR3 1GB.

pls tell me which one is the better choice as per performance

and also where can i get the original microsoft office 2012 as dell is providing it costly...........

pls reply fast i'm gonna buy a laptop in 2 days..

har

In the zone
Extend budget by 2k and get samsung np550p. For 2k dont miss out on 1600*900 matte screen with 300nits brightness,gt650m :-D,2.1 JBL,5hr battery and 2 year warranty, Windows HOME PREMIUM,etc. Just isnt worth losing this deal.
And not to forget new 3rd gen proccy's.

vipulgreattt

Broken In
Also you might wana consider the size here.. 14" will be more portable to carry around I guess and that resolution will look comparatively better on that too.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
hi guys,
the budget has been cut down to 35 - 40k MAX not even 1k more......

but the lappy need not have ANY kind of software. i don't need windows, office adobe, anything, it just needs to be the laptop.......

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
hi guys,
i needed to cut down my budget because my school said that they will get the OS and office and other softwares installed. so i'm wondering that how much they will charge for this. my school is pathways, aravali.

if anyone knows how much they charge pls tell me and also suggest me a laptop whose cost and the charge for softwares should sum up to 45k.....

it needs to meet my requirements which i already mentioned above...........

pls reply fast........................... i need to buy it in 2-3 daysssssss

which combo is better

3rd gen i3 3110m + 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7670M or 2nd gen i52450M + 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

guys please suggest me a laptop fast....................:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Top Bottom