Status
Not open for further replies.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
Source = *21st.blogspot.com/2006/09/use-gmail-generate-unlimited-e-mail.html

Use Gmail Generate Unlimited E-mail Addresses:-
Gmail has an interesting quirk where you can add a plus sign (+) after your Gmail address, and it'll still get to your inbox. It's called plus-addressing, and it essentially gives you an unlimited number of e-mail addresses to play with. Here's how it works: say your address is pinkyrocks@gmail.com, and you want to automatically label all work e-mails. Add a plus sign and a phrase to make it pinkyrocks+work@gmail.com and set up a filter to label it work (to access your filters go to Settings->Filters and create a filter for messages addressed to pinkyrocks+work@gmail.com. Then add the label work).

More real world examples:

Find out who is spamming you: Be sure to use plus-addressing for every form you fill out online and give each site a different plus address.

Example: You could use
pinkyrocks+nytimes@gmail.com for nytimes.com
pinkyrocks+freestuff@gmail.com for freestuff.com
Then you can tell which site has given your e-mail address to spammers, and automatically send them to the trash.

Automatically label your incoming mail: I've talked about that above.

Archive your mail: If you receive periodic updates about your bank account balance or are subscribed to a lot of mailing lists that you don't check often, then you can send that sort of mail to the archives and bypass your Inbox.

Example: For the mailing list, you could give pinkyrocks+mailinglist1@gmail.com as your address, and assign a filter that will archive mail to that address automatically. Then you can just check in once in a while on the archive if you want to catch up.

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

No + character is not allowed while registering in gmail .. it only allows one special character, ie, period(.).

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

Hey leave ma pinky alone u guys .. just joking .. btw has anyone tried it cause i havn't tried it myself.

freakitude

Journeyman
Good one. I think the real source is here >> labnol*labnol.blogspot.com/2006/09/gmail-easter-eggs-dot-blindess-email.html

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

I dunno what the real source is but i read it at the source i have given. Same info is on various sites i just put up the one i saw.

amitshahc

doing R&D of webtools
Another use

Using this example, say you email an invitation to your colleagues in a office asking them to rsvp to the invitaion. You ask them to reply to "amitshahc+nope@gmail.com" when sending you a response, if they don't want to come. and reply to "amitshahc+ofcourse@gmail.com". Assuming they follow your directions, You can then set up a Gmail Filters to automatically route emails to specific Labels based on the addresses. It's a simple example, but the uses can be numerous.

source = how to use 'plus' sign for filtering mails

redhat

Mad and Furious
Yup it does work...

Read this before on the forum, the Gmail labelling filter was out on this forum a long while ago...
Ive been using it since long now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom