8800GT is disabled by Device Manager, Error 43

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, I'm facing a problem with my 8800GT card, being used as PhysX GPU.

Yesterday, I've finished reassembling my rig with the new PSU received from RMA. After doing so, I found out that the PhysX by 8800GT card is not working. I checked device manager and found out that the card has been disabled. Opening the 8800GT item in Device manager shows the message:
This Device was not functioning properly and windows has disabled it which is also known as Error 43. After a bit of searching in Internet I found out a lot of people have faced this issue, especially with there are multiple cards and atleast one of them is from Nvidia. The reason might be faulty hardware, Registry issues,faulty driver installation or corrupted OS.
I tried to clean the existing driver with Driver Sweeper and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver 285.62, available for 8800GT with no effect.

Also after removing all the cards, used the 8800GT as the main card. Now display is coming properly but still the display adapter remains disabled in Device manager. Also due to the non-identification, the Aero mode has been turned off and Basic mode is selected automatically. But the card is working fine. I'm sure that the card is not damaged and either the OS or Registry have been broken.

Can anyone throw some lights on this issue?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
some update may have disabled it. have you updated AMD CCC drivers recently? was the 8800GT plugged in then?

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, now I remember. This problem started after I have updated to Catalyst 11.12 driver. Then should I uninstall all the display drivers from both AMD and Nvidia and try to freshly install them?

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
^^its the only way.....try in this sequence....
1.uninstall all...use driver sweeper.
2.Ati first
3.then nvidia.

try it :)

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ mate you should have used the new drives on the older 8xxx card. The new drivers are the culprit.

According to the nvidia forum, the new drivers tends to run the older card in a different speed/settings, because of which these GPUs gives up and dies :(

Even i too have a 8800gt with the same issue.

You can try the oven-trick, it may bring back life to your card.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Not dead, but same code 43 error.

It doesn't accept the graphics driver, so virtually its dead :(

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
I have tried the trick without success. Uninstall both nvidia and amd drivers and then installed catalyst 11.12 and after that nvidia 285.79 driver. But the problem is still there.
One thing to mention, after installing Catalyst driver, when I restarted the PC, windows installed wddm 1.1 driver for the Nvidia card automatically. Then I've installed the Nvidia driver and the wddm driver was replaced by the iwndows driver.

CA50, could you mention what is the current driver you're using for the 8800GT and the steps in detail to proceed?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting a feel you need to remove the hack and start afresh. Or may be apply the hack again. Not quite sure though.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Hack is not even applied now. This problem is not with any hacks. here the card is getting disabled from the beginning, before even installing drivers for it.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Will try today or tommorw with a 9600GT and using the 880GT in my friend's computer.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Tried to flash the BIOS with a new one but since the card is disabled, unable to access it. Right now using a 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3 as PhysX card. The 8800GT has been modded with a 9800 GT BIOS in my friend's computer. Gonna try it a day or two.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
The card is working fine with the modded BIOS in my friend's computer. It is now getting treated as 9800GT card.

Top Bottom