7750 HD problem while video conversion

Knight2A4

In the zone
Hello Everyone,

I desperately require your help in understanding a problem with my new G.P.U.

i had upgraded from my age old gigabyte 8600 gt to gigabyte 7750 HD just 1 & half months before on last week while i was chatting with my friend on skype. i had given a video to be converted on AVS video convector. i had set the priority for the conversion on above normal so that cpu would take it at it's top priority to convert this file while i was on video conference with my friend. A little while after my computer froze. I tried to restart it but it would not respond even on pressing the power botton of my cabinet lastly i had to switch the power off from the UPS to turn the computer off . i then again started it. It showed normal start as it would after any power failure It asked me weather i would like to start normal or in safe mode. i started in normal mode after i got to desktop i opened 2 or 3 apps played a song to check weather the system was functioning normally or not every thing till this point seem's o.k so i thought that setting the priority to above normal in the conversion must be the reason for the hang. so i started the conversion again but this time i did not changed the priority setting which was on normal i checked that. Now after a wihle again the system hanged but this time it would not start at all even after i switched power off. I took my system to a local vendor he reassembled the video card in the slot which he told be was lose & bolted it well. after that the system seem's o.k but after i brought it home & used it for a while it suddenly turned off . I mean while i was watching a video the monitor went black only the HDD led light on the CPU was lighted & even that did not turn off when i tried to switch that off from the cabinet i had to restart by shutting off the power again. but now this became radam & at any time the CPU would switch off for 2 days i observed that then i again started conversion of a video file but with free make video converter this time Again the system Hanged in the same manner as earlier so this time i changed the GPU to 8600 gt & started the video conversion again but this time every thing went smooth with no problem at all & i also tired a few games.So that i came to under stand that the problem was related to my GPU & not the power supply unit.

My config is
C2D 2.66 Ghz
3 GB RAM
500 HDD
Intel DG31PG Mobo

Please Let me know if any of you have experienced similar problem & if so who did you resolved it. Also any suggestion my any one is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Justin

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
brand name of the PSU ?

anyway, try to run some games using the HD 7750 to be sure the gpu is the culprit.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
firstly, you shouldnt do anything while encoding a video.. CPU takes the full load, and if you make it High Priority, then there will be no chance to do other things.

secondly, do as topgear says..

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
Thanks top gear & anirbandd for your reply

On Saturday at night i tried to remove the 8600 gt & attach the display directly to the motherboard but still no luck. Yes i had played from games on HD 7750 after the first time i took it to the vendor where he reattached the graphic card securely. About the PSU is Intex 450 Watts. Now asuming that the problem is with the motherboard please suggest a Good budgeted MOBO for my config.
I have narrowed down to Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L which is around 2450 Rs online. pLease suggest any thing around this or less

C2D E6750 2.66 GHz
Intel DG31PR (Current Mother Board)
3 GB DDR2 Ram
Gigabyte HD 7750
320 GB HDD
Intex 450 Watts

Thanks In advance
Justin John

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't jump into conclusion that the mobo is bad .. we need to do things step by step :

1. First of all - the PSU is not a good one and even if HD 7750 consumes even 10W more than your other gfx card the PSU may malfunction or it can do the same without any gfx card installed. Get a good PSU first.
2. Video encoding generally need lots of cpu processing power so make sure the cpu is not over heating while under load.
3. Make usre your ram modules are OK .. check with memtest86+ bootable version.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^install hwinfo[32/64bit acc to your OS].
keep hwinfo running
do video conversion [take a movie]
take a screenshot after 5-10mins and post it here..

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
umm.. Hello, Top gear ..... Well If CPU is over heating should not the system restart but in this case the system hangs & I did open the cabinet to see what was going on .... the C.P.U & G.P.U fan's were working fine & i can also see a green led on the motherboard that was lighting. DVD drive opened up .... When i had upgraded the GPU i had installed EVGA Precision to monitor the thermal & FPS of the G.P.U during gaming for more than five weeks i did not observe any thing out of the extra ordinary the temperature remained around 40-50C & the FPS also was good according to the game & settings. Saying the card was performing good. Yes i did had a problem with the ram once & so i had to change the 1GB stick with a 2GB one & thus i have 3BG's of ram now but that was long time ago & the system have been working fine till now.... I did also put only one stick on ram in the motherboard & tried to start the P.C ..... first with 1GB then With 2GB but no success ...

Hi anirbandd ........ I Had talked to the vendor to whom i had send the P.C to he told me that the P.C was not starting at his shop so he send to another vendor where it started up normally it was then return to his shop without any repair .... its still at his place i might bring it tomorrow & I shall try to record a video of the file beening converted but i do not thing it it will do 10-15 min. I will use Formate Factory As the conversion Software..... Will Install hwinfo .... & try to get as much as information as i can but i will remove the HD 7750 From the motherboard I do not want it to get broke in the test ........

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
umm.. Hello, Top gear ..... Well If CPU is over heating should not the system restart but in this case the system hangs & I did open the cabinet to see what was going on .... the C.P.U & G.P.U fan's were working fine & i can also see a green led on the motherboard that was lighting. DVD drive opened up .... When i had upgraded the GPU i had installed EVGA Precision to monitor the thermal & FPS of the G.P.U during gaming for more than five weeks i did not observe any thing out of the extra ordinary the temperature remained around 40-50C & the FPS also was good according to the game & settings. Saying the card was performing good. Yes i did had a problem with the ram once & so i had to change the 1GB stick with a 2GB one & thus i have 3BG's of ram now but that was long time ago & the system have been working fine till now.... I did also put only one stick on ram in the motherboard & tried to start the P.C ..... first with 1GB then With 2GB but no success ...

Hi anirbandd ........ I Had talked to the vendor to whom i had send the P.C to he told me that the P.C was not starting at his shop so he send to another vendor where it started up normally it was then return to his shop without any repair .... its still at his place i might bring it tomorrow & I shall try to record a video of the file beening converted but i do not thing it it will do 10-15 min. I will use Formate Factory As the conversion Software..... Will Install hwinfo .... & try to get as much as information as i can but i will remove the HD 7750 From the motherboard I do not want it to get broke in the test ........

overhetaing can cause system hang, restart power down .... many things - I've seen such thiungs happening that's why telling you.
Precision works with AMD gpus ?? !!
I think this is the problem ie memory related issues .. if the mobo's ram slot or the ram modules were fine the pc should have started fine with only 1 stick of ram .. do try with the 2GB stick first on all of the mobo ram slots and see whether the pc starts or not .. if the the pc starts normally check the ram module with memtest86+ app. If the ram module can pass the test remove it and do the same with the 1Gb stick .. if both ram modules fail to pass the test borrow a working ram module from friend and test your mobo's am slot with it or better test your ram modules on a friend's mobo 1 by 1.

AND once again the PSU you have is not so good so consider changing it or test with some good PSU first.

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
Hello, Top Gear & anirbandd

I today went to take the Cabinet from the vendor i had sent it to repair surprisingly. He told me that he did took the motherboard to Intel's service center & after they did all the examining they told him that the motherboard was fine & there was no problem with it. Also he had changed the ram & P.S.U and checked with new once it also did not show any short of problem & the system started off correctly & restarting was also correct with the same old P.S.U & the HD 7750 is being used as primary display unit further he told me that he did also converter a file to see if any thing goes wrong but everything seem to be fine there. Lastly he stated that it could be earthing problem .... Will see what happen's i will start the system at night ......

Last edited:
OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
Hi ........ Just had a talked to the house owner about earthing he was sure that the ground floor was earthed but not sure about the 1st floor that's where i am .... I also use a extension from a socket to bring power to the UPS which is far from where my system is ..... While i was seacrhing for earthing related topic i found this tread on thinkdigit itself ....

**www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/102903-run-computer-without-earthing.html

The part where " freshseasons" tell to connect a wire from the p.c to a nail in the wall will do .... should i try that what is your opion .....I do remember i did got electrified if i touched my cabinet without wearing sleeper or shoes .... Do you both think this mess could be b/c of earthing...

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
well, you never told that before..

immediately get your earthing checked.

and that nail in the wall is no good. a proper earthing is when the earthing cable runs to a depth of around 2-3m in the soil.

but that also does not satisfyingly explain your problem...

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
I was thinking to do Burntest before the system went hi wire last time will do the wire thing & start a burn test tonight.....

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
I was thinking to do Burntest before the system went hi wire last time will do the wire thing & start a burn test tonight.....

do you even know what a burn in test does?? dont attempt a burn test until you have a good PSU

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
do you even know what a burn in test does?? dont attempt a burn test until you have a good PSU

Ya ...... It a Stress testing Software developed for intel plate form & its Based on Intel's own CPU testing utility Linpack ........ Anyway am not going that way Since as more load the p.c would require higher amount of current to process that & if turly the PSU is not capable then when it going to hang as it was when i tried to convert the video ..... well this reply is from my p.c it been running for more than 20 min. now & things seem to be o.k for now........ i have also download HW monitor I will run it & watch a movies or so while taking screen shot in ever 15 min. hope it will put some light on whatz going on ............

Well there are the hw monitor result i did not ran any video convertor but i guess PSU needs to be changed as the CPU temperature went above 90c well please suggest that PSU should i use it would be a bigger help if you can post where i can by it online ....... Also please include an optical dvd drive which one do you recommend ......

After 5 min. of frycry 3 low 1080 res.JPGCapture 2.JPGCapture 3.JPGCapture 5.JPGCapture 6.JPGCapture 8.JPGCapture.JPGHw info  2.04 am.jpgHw info  2.21 am.JPGHw info  2.38 am.JPG

i just went to i.T Depot & found

Corsair VS Series VS450 450W - 2260 rs
Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 500W- 3425 rs
Corsair VS Series VS550 550W - 3130 rs

Corsair VS Series VS450 450W should do the job ..... please suggest

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your cpu is over heating .. clean and re-mount the cpu cooler with some good TiM / add some cabby fans or better buy a new cpu cooler.

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
The CPU was cleaned when the vendor opened it ........... & what about the PSU ........... but still it is getting hot ......
Before Starting video conversion.JPGVideo conversion at 4%.JPG

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^dude, those are some weird temps... 180C?? 230C?? :shock:

if your vendor is the same kind found all over india, then there is a high chance that he has used locally available bad TIM :p

get a good quality TIM and remount the CPU and COOLER. if you dont know how to unmount/mount, watch some youtube videos.

dont go for Corsair CX series as of now... there have been an alarming number of RMA calls.
if you want corsair, buy GS600. you can go for Antec too.

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
Well my knowledge is limited in this field ............ I guess the cooler that is with the cpu is the one that came along with it ... Please suggest a new cooler .........

Top Bottom