64-bit os

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The answer is yes. 98.5% 32bit software should work without any problem if you have an amd64 processor (includes Intel Core 2 Duo, Quad and Core i3/i5/i7).

But don't expect old 16bit DOS applications like Turbo C++ to work in Windows 7 64bit.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Which processor do you have anyways?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
some softwares have their own 32bit as well as 64bit version. so its advised to check once before trying any software. 1 good example is Winrar.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is the time to move on from 32bit. You've named a very heavy software.

amd64 or x86-64 processors are backwards compatible with the x86 instruction set, so running most 32bit applications shouldn't be a problem.

gameranand

Living to Play
ico said:
It is the time to move on from 32bit.
Yes. They just support 4GB ram and nowdays games recommended requirement is 4gb. also I heard that they have some problems with hard disks larger than 2.19Tb. Well that requires the mobo that supports them too but still OS is also a bottleneck.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Yes. They just support 4GB ram and nowdays games recommended requirement is 4gb. also I heard that they have some problems with hard disks larger than 2.19 gbTb. Well that requires the mobo that supports them too but still OS is also a bottleneck.

corrected your typo. also nowadays all processors & motherboard support 64bit OS.

gameranand

Living to Play
Sam.Shab said:
corrected your typo. also nowadays all processors & motherboard support 64bit OS.
Thanks. Do you know about this 2.19Tb limitation for HDDs. Read it on Digit mag and understood most of it but not completely.

gameranand

Living to Play
About GUID
About MBR Restrctions

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

UEFI Limitation

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@ico But Adobe photoshop CS2 32 bit hangs in 64 Bit OS but Adobe Photoshop CS5 64 Bit does not hang!

Dont you get the catch? 64 bit can use more than 4 GB RAM.

CS5 64 Bit it is optimised to use 64 bits. Cs2 32 is 32 bit.

Hence, 64 bit optimised s/w perform better in 64 bit OS.

Top Bottom