[40k] Intel Haswell "k series" Gaming PC

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: CAD apps, games - BF3, BF4, GTA5, BioShock Infinite.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40k, can extend for critical component. (without monitor)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 & 8 64 bit.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2x1TB (If SSD (for OS) gives noticeable difference in performance vs price, then yes)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, I have DELL 21.5” FHD LCD monitor [ST2210] (HDMI, DVI & RGB).

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: October 2013

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I’ll assemble myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Willing to buy things such as RAM, CPU cooler from online retailer (flipkart=30 day replacement warranty). And ONLY if there is big difference in cost b/w local & online).

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
  1. Want Intel Haswell “k series” setup, should last well for at least 2 years, I can compromise on LCD resolution, but not on fps.
  2. Want to play games at higher fps (40+).
  3. A good proper quality & elegant looking cabinet, if it comes with filters, it’d be a big bonus.
  4. 5.1 speaker system, not too expensive.
  5. RAM & PSU from Corsair (extremely satisfied customer since '07)
  6. HDD from Hitachi or other reliable brand, but no Seagate.
  7. Note: I have APC BI1000 Inverter (pure sine wave). 1000 watts backup for home. Currently I have 5 years+ old APC 550 UPS for PC, whenever main power goes off & Inverter switches ON, this UPS turns OFF. So do suggest a UPS for the configuration, no need to include in main budget.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
October is long time & cheapest haswell "k" proccy alone costs 16k + 12k for good mobo.. Hence whole rig goes out of balance..

sabre23

Right off the assembly line
You simply cannot get Haswell gaming pc with overclocking facilities @40K .

i5-4670K plus Z87 mobo will cost around 26K+.
You need 8GB Ram 4K+.
You need 2TB HDD 5k+.
You need SSD 120GB 6K+.
You need Graphics Card HD7770 (8K) or HD 7850 2GB (13K+).
You need Cabinet 3K.
You need Corsair 500W CPU 3.5K .

Do u get it?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Here is my suggestion but based on AMD because of your budget:-

AMD FX-8320 @ 9.8K
ECS A970MA Deluxe Motherboard @ 5.58K
G-Skill RipjawX 4GB 1600 MHz Ram @ 2.4K
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD @ 4.1K
Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB OC GV-N660OC-2GD GDDR5 Graphics card @ 13.15K (GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series Graphics Card)
Corsair CX 600V2 @4.1K (Theitwares.com)
NZXT Source 210 Elite Cabinet @ 2.7K

Total: 41.9K

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Cilus's configuration is recommended. But for a tight gaming budget, i recommend to sacrifice on the cpu a bit and invest that amount for a better gpu.
For CAD apps, nvidia gpu's are a bit better solution, but radeons will do too.

I suggest you to drop the cpu to an FX6300 and upgrade the Gpu to a 7870 xt if available locally.
Also look at 660-ti below 18k.

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
thanks for the help guys. The budget can be extended as i've mentioned earlier.

Can you give me a "k series" setup, a config which should handle BF3 at high (or maybe ultra) settings. How much money is required for a k-series PC?

I dont play all the games that come out, just few selective titles (AC3, BF3, BioShock, F1 2012/13...).
From price vs performance pov, is AMD CPU+m/b better? I just want a headache free setup that should last for minimum 2 years, after that I can upgrade GPU...

Want this type of Cabinet Rs. 6575 - Buy Online NZXT H2 Classic Silent Midtower Chassis in india

CPU - Rs.16250 - Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

Motherboard: Dont want one with 'extra' features that i wont be using at all, just a motherboard which is reliable & easy to OC. I dont know much of OC'ing (voltage/stepping...,) so pls suggest a m/b that has graphical user interface & is easy to understand for OC.

1 TB is okay for now, as i have 500GB on current desktop. SSD is optional as mentioned.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
thanks for the help guys. The budget can be extended as i've mentioned earlier.

Can you give me a "k series" setup, a config which should handle BF3 at high (or maybe ultra) settings. How much money is required for a k-series PC?

Motherboard: Dont want one with 'extra' features that i wont be using at all, just a motherboard which is reliable & easy to OC. I dont know much of OC'ing (voltage/stepping...,) so pls suggest a m/b that has graphical user interface & is easy to understand for OC.

1 TB is okay for now, as i have 500GB on current desktop. SSD is optional as mentioned.

Why is your head stuck around Intel "k-series"??
Why do you want to even overclock when you aren't well informed about it??

AMD setup by Cilus(Replace PSU by Seasonic S12II 520 for 4.5k) is very good from gaming POV & since you have extensible budget get an GTX 760 in 18k range & if you can you may replace the processor by 8350.
No other configuration will make you a happier man.

Cilus

laborare est orare
For playing games, concentrate more on GPU. Game handling mainly depends upon GPU. Also in the number 3 post in this thread, you can get an idea about Intel K series configuration.

ashs1

Padawan
out of topic, but exactly how much better are these haswell chips when compared to ivy bridge chips ??
From whatever i read, it seems like Haswell doesn't exactly gives a large boost in performance. Rather, its more efficient & saves a lot of power...
Is this right ??

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
out of topic, but exactly how much better are these haswell chips when compared to ivy bridge chips ??
From whatever i read, it seems like Haswell doesn't exactly gives a large boost in performance. Rather, its more efficient & saves a lot of power...
Is this right ??

Right....

Cilus

laborare est orare
ashs1, performance improvement in Haswell over Ivy Bridge is around 7 to 10% at max at the same clock speed. in fact Ivy bridge is better VFM option than Haswell at this momemnt. But as Intel is simply going to EOL Ivy Bridge very soon, it is better to stick with the latest standard. Intel already confirmed that their next gen CPU, named Brodwell will be supported in LGA 1150 platform and for that reason you have a good upgrade path. Ivy Bridge is pretty good at this moment but suppose after 2 years, if you have a damaged motherboard, it will be real hard to find a compatible LGA 1155 motherboard on that time, resulting a system upgrade.

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell 3.4GHz Rs.16250

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 32GB DDR3 Rs. 10675/-
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 32GB DDR3
ASRock > Z87 Extreme3

Graphic Card: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Rs. 15622
MSI AMD/ATI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - MSI: Flipkart.com

PSU: CORSAIR GS600 Gaming Series 600W 80 PLUS CertifiedRs.4800

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866/PC3-15000 -Rs. 5050

or Single 8GB module - CORSAIR 8GB DDR3 Vengeance 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Rs.4600

Case: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Midtower Chassis - Rs.6600

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA Internal Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) Rs.4100

Optical Drive: Asus 24x Sata Internal DVD Writer (DRW-24D3ST) Rs.1100

Total comes up at 64k, rough estimate, as theres some difference in itwares/itdepot/flipkart rates, I'll probably buy from Ashirvad or GolchaIT at SP Road, Bangalore.

Critical parts I have chosen to spend money on - CPU 16k, GPU 16k, & Case/cabinet.

Now guys, tell me a good UPS for this 600W setup & also tell me where i can save some money here :p

ankush28

Bazinga
your budget is increased by 24k :O

You will need 800va+ UPS for that setup.
Get APC 1KVA

btw the setup you decided is high inbalanced...
>spending ~6k for cabby in 60k rig is not good get nzxt source - 2.8k.
>Change GS600 with Seasonic S12ii 620(more reliable performence).
>get single ram module (g.skill ripjawsX 8GB)add another 8GB later.
>Get nVidia GTX 760 ~ 20k.
>for mobo think about gigabyte sniper.
>Add aftermarket cooler Coolermaster hyper evo(You can consider TX also).
CPU coolers are highly necessary for OVerclocking
>add some cabinet fans.

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
^my assumption was wrong :p

Thanks buddy,

Cabinet: Its just what i was looking for - silent, equipped with dust filters, power switch/usb on top.

PSU: Seasonic is Corsair's OEM, +5years warranty :eek:. Thanks for suggestion, I missed out the 5year & 80+ Bronze rating. :p
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com Rs.5300.
Going through reviews here - JonnyGURU PSU Reviews

RAM: Ok, I'll go with the Corsair 1x 8GB - Rs.4600.

GPU: 760 is a good 5k more, so no :p

M/b: Again a good 8k more, besides I'm not a enthusiast OC'r, I'll OC only when the games get demanding - after a year or so.

HSF: I read that stock coolers are good enough for OC, but as mentioned above, when need comes I'll upgrade it.

Case fans: NZXT comes with 3 (2x fr & 1x rear), again, if required i'll add more.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^Intel stock coolers are good for nothing and forget overclocking with it. You will burn the whole thing down. You heard the wrong piece of information

Top Bottom