4 x 256 or 2 x 512??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
I've heard that using 2 or 4 chips give better performance than using a single chip. So is 4 x 256 better than 2 x 512??

ashfame

Padawan
yes 2 sticks can provide dual advantage when they are of same feature(frequency etc.)
Can't say about using 4 sticks but make sure if you use 4 X 256, then you won't be left for any future upgradation.
Choose wisely.
Wait till other members reply.

nil_3

In the zone
ashfame wrote: "2 sticks can provide dual advantage when they are of same feature".
Is it true? In what sense? Anybody please explain.

I think the only advantage is that if any one of you RAM stick gets corrupt, you can still be able to sustain with the other stick.

Kniwor

Learner
2 is better than 4.....

well if u have a dual channel setup.... 2 will give best performance...

if not... 1 stick or 2 stick is all the same...

4 is a no-no some boards have probs running all the 4 at full speed...
2 is the best whatever setup u have

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Depends on the motherboard config....the max memory it supports.
If it is 512 MB and 4 slots r available, then i wud go for 2x512 which can later be upgraded to 4x512 <<and i m very sure there isnt any performance difference, 4 DIMM's would generate more heat as well>>

nil_3

In the zone
Kniwor said:
2 is better than 4.....

well if u have a dual channel setup.... 2 will give best performance...

Well, my motherboard supports only DDR2 memory(Intel 945GNT) and I have one RAM stick of 1GB. Should I have to purchase another 1GB memory-stick to enhance performance?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
ashfame said:
yes 2 sticks can provide dual advantage when they are of same feature(frequency etc.)
Can't say about using 4 sticks but make sure if you use 4 X 256, then you won't be left for any future upgradation.
Choose wisely.
Wait till other members reply.

Two similar Ram sticks will give the advantage of "dual channel" but only in case of motherbords supporting dual channel memory, that also if inserted in the proper slots.

In case of 4 sticks instead of 2 in Mobos like Nforce4, and Nforce4 Ultra, even if all the modules are similar and of 400 MHz, it will operate at 333 MHz, thus resulting in reduction of perfrmance, as far as I know.

Pl correct if I am wrong.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
if there any efect that will be very marginal... but yes... 4 stick... one ram goes down or even 2 goes down at a time, then u will have 2 other still working... atleast system will run, but with one stick system will be down unless or untiull the vendor replaces the RAM...

anyway for me... I allways go for 1stick... coz simply it is cheaper than 2 or 4.... :)

pranshu

Right off the assembly line
I would recommend to go for a single chip for two reasons. First, you will have a DIMM empty, thereby leaving a scope to upgrade in future and secondly to avoid any conflicts between the two chips.

bukaida

In the zone
The 2 X 512 will have the following advantages--

1. Amount of memory will be same but will take lesser space inside the cabinet.

2. Compatibility issue will be minimum.

3. Power consumption will be less.

4. Scope for future upgradation( if the same freq will available in future).

But a single 1GB is not sugessted as u will not be able to use the dual channel.

Kniwor

Learner
nil_3 said:
Well, my motherboard supports only DDR2 memory(Intel 945GNT) and I have one RAM stick of 1GB. Should I have to purchase another 1GB memory-stick to enhance performance?

yeah..... dual channel needs 2 sticks..

hafees

In the zone
For dual channel support you need to install memory in pairs. Check whether ur motherboard supports Dual channel memory and if yes, go for 512 X2. There is no reason to buy 4 X 256. definitely 512 X 2 will be faster & efficient than 256 X 4. We also need to consider the power consumption of 4 RAMS and if ur SMPS can't provide enough power, then the clock speed will be decreased.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
hafees said:
For dual channel support you need to install memory in pairs. Check whether ur motherboard supports Dual channel memory and if yes, go for 512 X2. There is no reason to buy 4 X 256. definitely 512 X 2 will be faster & efficient than 256 X 4. We also need to consider the power consumption of 4 RAMS and if ur SMPS can't provide enough power, then the clock speed will be decreased.

Alright, but will you pl explain how the SMPS will affect the clock speed ?

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
if ur motherboard supports dual channel support only then u will be benefitted

and only 2 stics can be in dual mode ... so for u 512 x 2 will work on dual channel mode
u will see on ur motherboard there are 4 ram slots
2 slots of same colour and after a gap 2 slots of different colours
put the 2 sticks in different colour slots and restart ur pc
configure in bios dual channel mode supported
u r done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom