3G iPhone Arriving Sooner Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I have an iPhone and a Sony Ericsson W550i and the iPhone is definitely better. Even a non-audiophile like me can clearly tell the difference in sound quality between the two. The WALKMAN is louder though.

You have got to be kidding me. Ordinarily, I don't bother to correct people when they think that the iPods are the pinnacle of Audio Fidelity, but a direct shot at Sony? No audio product from Apple, be it the iPhone or the iPods has Sound Quality that could possibly be considered good, leave alone beat the W series. I owned a w810i for a very long period of time, and having heard several MP3 players ranging from the iPod touch to a Creative Zen to the Shuffle, I can without a smidgen of doubt say that the w810i beats them all.

Know why? Because of a little thing known as the sound signature. Every company influences the sound of their DAPs based on what they think music should be. A signature, if you will. Sony's sound signature is famous in audiophile circles for being so cozily warm that it will make you want to listen to all your music again.

Au contraire, I have realized after having heard several iPods that the only sound signature they possess is harshness and muddiness. The iTouch is probably the worst of the lot when it comes to SQ, even the shuffle sounds a lot better. You can actually see tonal modality flying out the window, accompanied by transparency and clarity. Bass is replaced by what I can only describe as broken Bass and treble by mechanical sounds.

I made the huge mistake of buying a Creative Zen [giving in to the lure of a large screen and expandable memory], which actually has very nice music quality with an "upfront" kind of signature, but my w810i's warmth calls to me and I have decided to replace my player with one from the Sony Walkman line-up, which maintains that all-important signature, while significantly improving everything else. Not too surprisingly, my friend who owns a Nano admits that the Zen sounds better.

When it comes to audio, there are very few companies that can look Sony in the eye, and Apple is waaaaay at the bottom of that list.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an iPhone and a Sony Ericsson W550i and the iPhone is definitely better. Even a non-audiophile like me can clearly tell the difference in sound quality between the two. The WALKMAN is louder though.

Didn't you get some other WALKMAN series phone to compare with iPhone??
W550i is definitely outdated now.(I don't know how good does it sound but considering the standards of SE Walkman phones in sound plyaback, I still feel it is better than iPhone) Talk about the present. You can't compare a current phone to some phone whose days have gone. It has Walkman player 1.0 and W960i is on Walkman player 3.0. I've a W890i and it indeed sounds way way better than my iPod Classic. (I don't know about the sound quality of iPhone though)

W960i has Track ID....It can recognize any song whose name/information you want to know while listening to radio or while in some public place...(Don't expect Hindi songs to be recognized.:D)

And yes, Handwriting recognition isn't that slow as you're thinking.....:)

You'd have to actually use it, you know, before you go all judgmental on it. :)
I agree on this...:)

iPhone does actually win in the video playback department but as far as Music playback and management is concerned W960i still wins.

iPhone does actually pawn W960i when we talk about the Interface.

Does iPhone has Flash and AutoFocus???......:D :p

Indeed sorry for making this W960i vs iPhone thread........

Personally, you can call me a Sony Ericsson fanboy...:D

And lastly, yet I feel iPhone is one of his own kind and innovative....:)

Last edited:

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
I really wanna buy dat whatever ppl say just cause it has full HTMl Safari browser :D
Also future is touch screen :)
U can change it to way u like

I recently saw a video of UT FPS on iPhone

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^

ipod touch plays Quake 3 :D *www.engadget.com/2008/04/05/quake-3-hits-the-ipod-touch-makes-for-portable-lan-party/

_

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
^^ Umm... okay. If I get an iPhone its going to be because of the interface. Certainly not because it plays Quake 3. It could play Crysis for all I cared.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@ring_wraith,
I have no idea about music. Don't take my opinion seriously. It's just that–my uninformed opinion–and is prone to errors.

Didn't you get some other WALKMAN series phone to compare with iPhone??
W550i is definitely outdated now.(I don't know how good does it sound but considering the standards of SE Walkman phones in sound plyaback, I still feel it is better than iPhone) Talk about the present. You can't compare a current phone to some phone whose days have gone. It has Walkman player 1.0 and W960i is on Walkman player 3.0. I've a W890i and it indeed sounds way way better than my iPod Classic. (I don't know about the sound quality of iPhone though)
Well, then, I haven't listened to any of those, so I can't comment on it.

W960i has Track ID....It can recognize any song whose name/information you want to know while listening to radio or while in some public place...
It's a pretty useless feature but, FWIW, the iPhone has it too.

And yes, Handwriting recognition isn't that slow as you're thinking.....:)
Oh, it definitely is much slower than the iPhone's keyboard. And I'm not saying that lightly. It's much slower.

iPhone does actually win in the video playback department
Hands down.

but as far as Music playback
This is debatable. Personally, I love my iPhone's audio quality. But to each his own.

and management is concerned W960i still wins.
Oh c'mon. What are you talking about, man! Are we talking about the same iPhone? Full fledged high quality album art, sorting based on artists, albums, genres and composers, playlists, on-the-go playlist, compilations, lyrics, rating, auto synchronisation, the world's largest music store built right in and last, but certainly not the least, cover flow. And I might even have missed some features.

Are you still sure any other phone or music player in the world comes close to the iPhone/iPod touch when it comes to management features?

iPhone does actually pawn W960i when we talk about the Interface.
Oh, big time, man, big time.

Does iPhone has Flash and AutoFocus???......:D :p
No, and seeing how good the quality of the camera is without them, I now actually wish it had those. But then, a flash would make it thicker and I certainly don't want that.

Indeed sorry for making this W960i vs iPhone thread........
As long as the discussion is civil, there's no harm in it. :)

Personally, you can call me a Sony Ericsson fanboy...:D
Cheers to your spirit, man. We need more people like you around these parts. We should be frank about our choices and biases, not ashamed of them. :)

^^ Umm... okay. If I get an iPhone its going to be because of the interface. Certainly not because it plays Quake 3. It could play Crysis for all I cared.
I don't see what the big deal is either but it certainly seems to be a big ticket item. Even non-fanboys are psyched about this latest development.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Comon guys, that's arya u r talking to, obviously any & all Apple products are superior to anything else....

A camera in a mobile phone is also bad, who cares about convergence :D. Now if tomorrow Apple releses iphone 2.0 with 5 MP camera & auto focus then all of a sudden Arya's tone will change.....

relax boy, teri itni bhi waatt nahi lagayenge

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It's funny how if some Apple product receives negative reviews, some people on this forum will dig it out of anywhere on the Internet but when it gets positive reviews from even the most obviously unbiased sources (like AnandTech or GSMArena) on the Internet, they'll not only overlook them but will actually go to great lengths to rule out the advantages mentioned repeatedly in those interviews.

Here are some words about the iPhone I chanced upon on GSMArena today:
Love it or hate it, the iPhone has set the bar pretty high in terms of interface and user-friendliness and, almost six months after its launch now, the competition has not yet managed to fight back with a product likely to generate the same buzz.
Our hopes for a 3G-enabled Euro-iPhone went down the drain; the 2-megapixel camera has not changed either; official third-party application support will not be available before February 2008 and, finally, on the Old Continent the device will cost 1.4 times more (with the current exchange rate) than back in US. Why all the fuss then, you might ask. Actually, to get a feel of that, you must have held the handset in your hand and tried it for real. It's nothing like anything you've seen. Touch sensitive screens are nothing new, but Apple have created a unique user interface that reacts to your touch in an almost physical way.
And yet, when we have discussions about the uniqueness of the iPhone, the screen is often sidelined by these trolls as not being anything innovative because there are other phones with touchscreens in the market.

I don't know what brought this on, but I just had a compulsive urge to point this out. The iPhone's Multi-Touch screen is absolutely unparalleled and once you've used it, it really is hard to withhold yourself from buying it just because it let's go of a few standard features.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
nokia 1100 is a fone that has torch as a feature, iphone is a music player with phone as a feature ;)

yes i agree tht courtesy the iphone focus has shifted to touch interface and thts all it has done, there was 6600 at 1 time that revolutionized the fone market with converged devices being the in thing but iphone at the end of the day its a fone in 2007 that lacks a proper bluetooth, no vid rec, battery is not replaceable, an under-utilized processor ... now no matter what u say call this civil or un-civil to any person with little inclination to technology will say that these are stupid flaws which shouldnt have been there

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, that is indeed true. It also has the Internet though, lest you forget.

Actually, this is the priority list for the iPhone (in this order):
1. Internet;
2. iPod; and
3. Phone.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Then why buy an iPhone when "phone" is the least priority in it. Why not just buy an iPod touch & use your high end Nokia or Sony Phone.

Oh! wait......we forgot, just look at the UI, it looks so cool.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Then why buy an iPhone when "phone" is the least priority in it. Why not just buy an iPod touch & use your high end Nokia or Sony Phone.
Yeah, so who's stopping anyone from doing that. To me, however, it makes more sense to have it all in one device when it is perfectly capable of doing all of the aforementioned tasks better than most other devices in the market.

(Plus, it happens to have a surprisingly good camera.)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
2 things

1) iPhone is not an all in one device. It lacks many features which various other phones such as even my K750i has. Bluetooth file transfer, video recording, autofocus etc etc.

2) It is not doing anything better then the rest of the phones....

It doesn't take pics better then SE or Nokia's offering in the same price range.

It doesn't let u customise it like you can customise Nokia N82/K850i.

So, bragging & justifying that iPhone is better then other phone just cos u like the animated UI while we like the working & capability of the phone, is pure stupid.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
-B-E-E-E-P-

Initialising... beep beep beep...

Ignoring irrelevant post...

Countdown begins... 3... 2... FAIL!

Retrying... 3... 2... 1...

Irrelevant post ignored.

Process successful.

... shutting down...

-b-e-e-e-e...p

---------------------------------

BTW, if the iPhone wasn't the king of all phones yet, it is now.

Behold, iDial:

*img169.imageshack.us/img169/3753/img0002md1.jpg

Ha! Ha! This is freaking awesome. :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Another case to mention (and I'm not making these up). Before going to Mumbai I asked my PC-walla if he could get me an iPhone. "Why you want that phone! It's crappy. It can't do video recording. It can't forward SMS. Don't buy that. Trust me."

Little did he know how much of an apple boy I was.

Still, I went to pay him a visit today. Let's just say his iPhone is on the way...(and I didn't even have any apps installed)

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
BTW, if the iPhone wasn't the king of all phones yet, it is now.

Behold, iDial:

*img169.imageshack.us/img169/3753/img0002md1.jpg

Ha! Ha! This is freaking awesome. :D

Very nice!

@Saurav, you're wrong man. It's not about the niggling details that the iPhone lacks. Look at the bigger picture. Its all about the experience. Find me one phone, price no bar, that can emulate the experience of the iPhone.

To be completely honest, the only thing stopping me from buying an iPhone is its SQ. If its SQ was good enough to satisfy me, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I just cannot justify spending 20k+ on something and not listening to my music on it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Very nice!

@Saurav, you're wrong man. It's not about the niggling details that the iPhone lacks. Look at the bigger picture. Its all about the experience. Find me one phone, price no bar, that can emulate the experience of the iPhone.

To be completely honest, the only thing stopping me from buying an iPhone is its SQ. If its SQ was good enough to satisfy me, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. I just cannot justify spending 20k+ on something and not listening to my music on it.
htc touch
nokia tablet 800
xperia (me waiting for it, it releases me buys, unless offcourse nokia's iphone killer is better IMHO)

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
iMav sorry nothing gives the experience that iPhone provides... HTC touch suxx, nokia tablet is not a phone...

though iPhone has lots of limitations its GUI and responsiveness is simply superb...

p.s. I'm not a apple fanboy :p

and yeah Sony Xperia is very promising looking forward to it... but it has a long release date... may come to India next year beginning :p

_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom