3d Effects In Fedora Core 6 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
kalpik said:
No.. That link wont work for FC5. Actually there is no AIGLX on FC5. For XGL on FC5, why dont you try: *fedora-xgl.blogspot.com/2006/05/howto-install-compiz-and-xgl-on-fedora.html

Oh how I wish someone had told me about this earlier. Well, does this work for KDE? I see a few responses only for GNOME. I prefer KDE anytime than GNOME........as I'm a noob in linux.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
phreak0utt said:
Oh how I wish someone had told me about this earlier. Well, does this work for KDE? I see a few responses only for GNOME. I prefer KDE anytime than GNOME........as I'm a noob in linux.
So? It's just in the mind. I started with GNOME and didn't find anything difficult. GNOME and KDE are on a similar level of ease. Just take that out of your head that KDE is easy and GNOME is tougher.

praka123

left this forum longback
phreak0utt said:
I prefer KDE anytime than GNOME........as I'm a noob in linux.
thats a false statement propagated by,u know a qt-based DE fans dat GNOME is not for noobs.actually qt-based Desktop environment is cluttered and have menu which contains useless no of apps. also qt-bases DE is a copycat of RedMond's World famous Buggy Operating System.BUt GNOME stands apart it has a simple interface and usability at the maximum,caveat that u need to be free from comparing everything with RedMond's World famous Buggy Operating System.GNOME follows many plans and guidelines for the user community.
GNOME understands that usability is about creating software that is easy for everyone to use, not about piling on features. GNOME's community of professional and volunteer usability experts have created Free Software's first and only Human Interface Guidelines, and all core GNOME software is adopting these principles. Find out more about GNOME and usability at the GNOME Usability Project.
Infact GNOME is having problem that it is not user friendly and for geek use from it's inception.but things changed after afaik GNOME release-2.6 or so.they followed the Human Interface Guidelines to get the DE userfriendly and with GNOME-2.16.x u'll get the feel of their hardwork.GNOME DE is based on GTK(Gimp tool kit) libraries,which are the base and backbone of most GUI applications running on *NIX OS's.while qt libraries are simply needed for that qt DE apps to run.
No Wonder major Open SOurce based Companies are all supporting and using GNOME as the default Desktop Environment.
so dont practice to hate this project becoz of the propaganda send by the hategangs.

read this to know about GNOME:
*www.gnome.org/about/

mehulved

Let me tell you in one line, to make it simple.
GNOME, KDE and XFCE are equally user friendly for newbies.

phreak0ut

@tech_your_future and prakash_kerala

Well, I have used GNOME for sometime before switching over to KDE. Most of the time, you won't even realise that there are applications are available until you read it somewhere or someone points it out to you. Also, the eyecandy is missing. Yes, there are few things which look like Windows, but doesn't the glass effect look awesome in Windows? I simply loved it, if you didn't. That doesn't mean I'm talking for Windows. I do love Linux and want to make a complete switch to it asap. But, I prefer the eyecandy WITH the applications. I don't prefer to run each and every application from the Run command line. Few things are better of clicking away as its easy available right there.

Apart from the looks, I came to know that its hard to install XGL on FC5 as most of the repos are not available. I tried numerous sites suggested by the members here and myself, but only to find that the repos are missing. So, is there no way to install XGL? I really dont find it convenient to install a newer version all the time since I'm just getting used to Fedora 5 and burning discs is not really a great idea. So, any ideas guys?

mehulved

Go to www.gnome-look.org and customise GNOME.
And I don't need to run any apps from CLI in GNOME. I get all the apps that are present in my system in the GNOME menu.
And for enabling XGL, just follow those steps written there. Where does the question of having/not having any repos arrive.

praka123

left this forum longback
BUt @phreak0utt,if you somehow upgarde your Xorg Server in FC5 to Xorg 7.1,you can easily done with AIGLX+Beryl effects.someone have anylink for Xorg-7.1 backported 2 FC5 for phreak0utt ?
BTW PCQUEST December is giving out Fedora COre 6 DVD!

Last edited:

phreak0ut

prakash kerala said:
BUt @phreak0utt,if you somehow upgarde your Xorg Server in FC5 to Xorg 7.1,you can easily done with AIGLX+Beryl effects.someone have anylink for Xorg-7.1 backported 2 FC5 for phreak0utt ?
BTW PCQUEST December is giving out Fedora COre 6 DVD!

Can we update only Xorg to the latest version using Yum? If so, I'll try it. There's some technical problem with the BSNL servers now. So, I'm not able to update it. In case it is possible, I'll try to do it and see if it is possible to install AIGLX+Beryl. Also, is it necessary to install both? Can't we install only Compiz or GLX or Beryl? Please do let me know.

praka123

left this forum longback
@phreak0utt:do u know that with a latest fedora 6 cd/dvd,it will always ask you to upgrade your current fedora 5 system or any other FC/RH systems....you will save lots of hassles doing just an upgrade to FC6,for debian or ubuntu or gentoo etc u can do an Xserver upgrade only with some apt repo available.but with Fedora an rpm based distro,i feel it is difficult so get new fc6 dvd from current issue of pcquest or Linux for you MAG>All da Best:eek:

phreak0ut

prakash kerala said:
@phreak0utt:do u know that with a latest fedora 6 cd/dvd,it will always ask you to upgrade your current fedora 5 system or any other FC/RH systems....you will save lots of hassles doing just an upgrade to FC6,for debian or ubuntu or gentoo etc u can do an Xserver upgrade only with some apt repo available.but with Fedora an rpm based distro,i feel it is difficult so get new fc6 dvd from current issue of pcquest or Linux for you MAG>All da Best:eek:

Hmmmm......... But I hate to upgrade every 6 months or so as new stuff come out. I think I'll upgrade and save myself the trouble. Since my DVD combo drive is screwed up and DVDs can't be detected, I'll settle for CDs. Thanks to everyone who responded to my queries :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom