3d Effects In Fedora Core 6 ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Hi Chicks and Lads........
I am using FEDORA CORE 6. It rocsks. No doubt. They have provided an option for enabling 3D effects. I have tried but it has failed. Has any one tried it or do u have any online link for the documentation.....Waiting for ur reply...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Paragkalra, To Enabling 3D effects (Compiz effects) in Fedora Core 6 Click here

This one is for NVidia GC. I know that yours is a NVidia card!!. So this one will be more
than enough for you. Happy Rotating Cube & Wobbly Windows!!

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
I have finally configured the 3D effects on Fedora Core 6...Thanx to all on this forum for ur overwhelming support....Here are the screens shorts.......

*discoverlinux.blogspot.com/2006/11/3d-effects-of-fedora-core-6.html

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Paragkalra, Checkout Cool 3D effects in Fedora 6 using Beryl click here
Beryl is a fork of Compiz. The Beryl effects are defintely better than XGL/AIGLX!!

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Well, I'm on FC5 64 bit. I would like to have all the effects. Can XGL be installed on my distro? My signature has my config. Please do let me know if I can run on that. Also, methods to download the drivers for my ATI card, in case it can be run on my rig.

Thanks in advance.

Bye!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Which graphics card you have? I can't see one in your signature. If you have onboard graphics then better go for AIGLX than XGL.

phreak0ut

tech_your_future said:
Which graphics card you have? I can't see one in your signature. If you have onboard graphics then better go for AIGLX than XGL.

I think I'll update my signature. Yeah, I've got an ATI Radeon Xpress 200(onboard). Could you please let me know where to download the drivers from? I tried googling it and searched a lot of forums, but I couldn't find the method.

Thanks in advance..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
ATI is very problematic on linux. Anyway, try this: *www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon

phreak0ut

kalpik said:
ATI is very problematic on linux. Anyway, try this: *www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon

I managed to install the ati radeon driver with the above mentioned method, BUT when I gave the setbool -P allow_execmod=1, the terminal gave an output saying that the command doesn not exist. Same goes with the init command. It didn't work for neither 3 nor 5. But when I gave this "ati-fglrx-config-display enable" command to enable the driver, it didn't complain. So, I think the driver is installed ok. You guys got any ideas why this happened? Now I need to know how to install this AIGLX. Yum couldn't download it.

Last edited:

kalpik

Those commands were to allow the driver to load, bypassing SELinux. One advice, save yourself a LOT of trouble and just disable SELinux fully! As for AIGLX, try: *forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121119

phreak0ut

kalpik said:
Those commands were to allow the driver to load, bypassing SELinux. One advice, save yourself a LOT of trouble and just disable SELinux fully! As for AIGLX, try: *forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121119

Well that's a nice link. Thanks :) But wont my security be compromised if I TOTALLY disable SELinux?? Wont my system be compromised for security? Also, can't I afford to install as mentioned in the above method without disabling SELinux though I have managed to download the ATI drivers? Please do let me know.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
SELinux isn't really needed for home users IMO. Or you can just temporarily disable it and re-enable it again.

kalpik

No, your security wont be compromised in any way. Its totally un-needed. And t_y_f, temporarily disabling SELinux is not the solution. Because SELinux blocks the kernel module of gfx drivers from loading. Believe me when i say it is COMPLETELY safe to disable SELinux.

phreak0ut

tech_your_future said:
SELinux isn't really needed for home users IMO. Or you can just temporarily disable it and re-enable it again.

Is it?? :Exclaimation: Well, I still don't know how to disable and re enable it temporarily :D

kalpik

^^ Its in the system menu -> security (i think). There you can disable SELinux.

phreak0ut

kalpik said:

Tried the site which you mentioned and the steps mentioned for AIGLX-Beryl and this is what happened

yum -y install beryl-core beryl-manager beryl-plugins beryl-settings emerald emerald-themes
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
livna [1/8]
flash [2/8]
beryl [3/8]
*wilsonet.com/packages/beryl/fc5-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:25:38 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Fedora)
Content-Length: 320
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: beryl
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from beryl: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from beryl: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

phreak0ut

kalpik said:
You running FC5? The link i gave was for FC6.

Yeah! I 'jumped' in as I didn't want to make a seperate thread for this as it appeared a bit similar. Can you tell me how to do with FC5? I tried the method suggested for XGL, but still I get the same error :(

kalpik

No.. That link wont work for FC5. Actually there is no AIGLX on FC5. For XGL on FC5, why dont you try: *fedora-xgl.blogspot.com/2006/05/howto-install-compiz-and-xgl-on-fedora.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom