Not open for further replies.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have 845GV chipset mobo which has onboard 32MB graphics
so...based on dat i brought one game called "shade:wrath of angels"
which required 32MB minimum video memory as specified officially
but when I tried 2 play it nothin happens.....no game loadin...no error msg
etc....:shock:

wat is the problem with this ? Is 32MB not supported or they r just faking it...:mad:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Video Memory is not as important as the other kind of hardware it provides, like Shader Model version, or DirectX/OpenGL compatibility level and such.

845 onboard probably has NO Pixel Shader which is why no game requiring it would run. Memory is not much of a significant factor while deciding on a good graphic solution.

cooldip10

In the zone
I had that mobo .. its actual Video memory is 64 MB when you have around 512 MB RAM. QwertyManiac said it very correctly. the video memory size is not the only factor.

The same problem (that you have mentioned) occurred when I tried to run Carbon on it. Total crash down!! . Suggestions : Just get another mobo and a good Gfx card..

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

its actual Video memory is 64 MB when you have around 512 MB RAM.

Hows dat possible :rolleyes: u mean to say dat If I insert a 512MB memory stick
it will become 64MB.....how u know this have u experimented with the
32MB & 64MB in ur 845 mobo :confused:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^turbocache ****.Some of system RAM behaves as video RAM.If you put 4gb RAM then it may even start showing 512MB video RAM.

Video RAM can never be used to judge the quality,there are other attributes like shader model,dx\opengl compatibility,etc etc.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
I have a 845 motherboard and had 128 mb RAM in it.I got 32 mb as video memory.Now with 1 gb ram I get 64 mb video memory.So, yes there is a sharing between RAM and Video memory.But the video memory is taken from RAM only when it is needed.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
I cant believe this......is a sharing between graphics-chip & main memory:confused:
actually there is not much memory onboard... all onboard gfx chips use shared memory (from the system ram) how much min and max they can use is given in spec...

and there are also discrete graphics cards that have dicrete memory + also use a portion of the system memory which is called turbo cache (a few ATI cards also call it hypermemory or something like that I guess :D )

but nowadays all new gfx cards have good amount of discrete memory ;)

bottomline: onboard graphics suck :lol:

_

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I have a 845 motherboard and had 128 mb RAM in it.I got 32 mb as video memory.Now with 1 gb ram I get 64 mb video memory.So, yes there is a sharing between RAM and Video memory.But the video memory is taken from RAM only when it is needed.

I too have 128MB RAM & 32MB onboard.....:rolleyes:

Actually I have Gigabyte 8I845GV mobo with no AGP slot....does ur mobo had AGP slot....if yes then u had sharing memory....:confused:

But my frnd has HIS mobo with 845 chip & has AGP slot with 256MB Ram
& 64MB onboard memory.....:lol:

if all ur words r true then I'll upgrade RAM to 1GB & make it 64MB onboard
& should be able 2 play POP WW & TT atleast....
But I still have doubts in my mind whether it will work or not.....:confused:

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Just check out this link:
*compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=1617,1840&familyID=11&culture=en-US
Here I have compared 845G[mine] and 845GV[yours] chipsets.
As the page says, upgrading to 1 gb RAM will mean 64 mb video memory for you.;)
And yes my motherboard does have AGP 4x slot.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Just check out this link:
*compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=1617,1840&familyID=11&culture=en-US
Here I have compared 845G[mine] and 845GV[yours] chipsets.
As the page says, upgrading to 1 gb RAM will mean 64 mb video memory for you.;)
And yes my motherboard does have AGP 4x slot.

thanx 4 dat seen.......:)
But it supports Max DDR333 ram(obsolete) will I get dat in mumbai as I've seen only 400Mhz DDR modules in markets now a days :mad:

cooldip10

In the zone
Hey I got DDR 266 MHz 512 MB RAM with ease here in Delhi.. You will surely get the DDR 333 ..

One of members told that after adding 2GB of RAM you will get 512 MB video memory .. This is not true.. you can get maximum of 64 MB of Video Memory..
I had Intel 845GVSR mobo with no AGP slot.. So had to get a second hand mobo GIGABYTE one with only 4X of AGP max. supprt.

NOTE: You can see some info about onboard graphics in your bios. You may change the Max. Video Memo. there but I didn't get the exact procedure to do it..BUT DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTING THERE WITHOUT PROPER INFO, OTHERWISE IT MAY LEAD TO SERIOUS DAMAGE

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
dun worry bout goin wrong in the bios of an 845 mobo, as it dun support overclocking.
And 845 onboard gfx dun have h/w transform and lighting, which is required by most games, even to get the game launched.
But some games cud be launched even w/o some features it require.

The video memory is used to store the data which is processed by GPU. What if the GPU cant process most of the effects[SM 2,3 etc, Cine FX, AA, AF....]. No point in increasing the video ram.
And the max amount of ram that can be shared by an 845 IGP is 64 MB. This may vary as the onboard GPU varies.
For example, ATI's new IGP X1250 can have upto 1GB of DDR2 memory as shared memory. But it wud never be fully used, coz the GPU isnt powerful enuf to fuel the 1GB.

As u dun have an AGP slot, i suggest u to upgrade ur mobo, nd proccy[so memory also]. U can do a decent upgrade within 6~7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom