30 Free Powerful Apps Under 2MB

sygeek

Technomancer
Here's a list of 30 kick ass powerful and useful apps under just 2 MB and best of all, they are all free!
  1. Space Sniffer
  2. f.lux
  3. CPU Z
  4. TeraCopy
  5. Everything
  6. TMonitor
  7. Darik's Boot And Nuke
  8. Delayer
  9. Eraser
  10. uTorrent
  11. KeePass
  12. Gmail Notifier
  13. CCleaner 3.0
  14. 7-Zip
  15. Color Cop
  16. IrfanView
  17. Easy Thumbnails
  18. Resize Enable
  19. Nail It!
  20. Internet Traffic Report
  21. LogMeIn Hamachi2
  22. HijackThis
  23. PC Decrapifier
  24. Memtest86+
  25. Prime 95
  26. Greenshot
  27. HashCalc
  28. ShellMenuView and ShellExView
  29. VirtuaWin
  30. StrokeIt
For details on each app, visit the link below:
[Small But Powerful: 30 Useful PC Apps Under 2MB via Maximum PC]

Edit:
Here are some more apps that some of you guys may find useful too [Recommendations by users]
  1. Sandboxie
    Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
  2. Video Cache View
    After watching a video in a Web site, you may want to save the video file into your local disk for playing it offline in the future. If the video file is stored in your browser's cache, this utility can help you to extract the video file from the cache and save it for watching it in the future.
  3. HWMonitor
    HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
  4. GPU-Z
    GPU-Z is a lightweight utility designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
  5. Unlocker
    Unlocker is an Explorer extension that allows you with a simple right-click of the mouse on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it is used by another person or program.
  6. Vista Switcher (Don't go by the name, it works on XP and W7 too)
    VistaSwitcher is an elegant and powerful task management utility for Windows OS. Once installed, it replaces the default Windows Alt-Tab dialog with a nice box that shows a list of all running tasks, with their names and preview snapshots, and enables the user to take actions on them using the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. With just one click, you can switch tasks, minimize, maximize, restore the main window, or close the process.
  7. WinUpdatesList
    WinUpdatesList displays the list of all Windows updates (Service Packs and Hotfixes) installed on your local computer. For hotfix updates, this utility also displays the list of files updated with these hotfixes. In addition, it allows you to instantly open the Web link in Microsoft Web site that provides more information about the selected update, uninstall an update, copy the update information to the clipboard, or save it to text/HTML/XML file.
  8. Stickies [Smaller Alternative to Stickies - Memento]
    Stickies combines the best and most important features that you could want in a notes program with the added glory of being free. The program's main feature, the sticky note, can be customized on nearly every level, from font to color to behavior.
  9. Tweak UI
    Tweak UI is a free user interface customization application. It provides a simple graphical user interface for performing tweaks that otherwise would require editing the registry.
  10. ZeuApp
    ZeuAPP is essentially an installation dashboard for 160 applications. You can navigate to application types like CD Burners, P2P apps, Office apps, and more. Under each tab are applications for that category with a "Download" and "Visit Website" button which allow you to download the application and automatically launch the installer or visit the web site for more info.
  11. Notepad2
    Edit text files and program codes with this enhanced version of the standard Notepad, but its added functionality comes with a much larger file size. Notepad2 looks much like the Windows' version with a host of editing tools added.
  12. Putty
    PuTTY is a free and open source terminal emulator application which can act as a client for the SSH, Telnet, rlogin, and raw TCP computing protocols and as a serial console client.
  13. EasyBCD
    It's small, free, powerful, and flexible, and advanced users will get a jewel in this handy system boot tool. EasyBCD's crisp, clean, and logical interface presents everything you need to create a multi-OS boot system. Once the additional operating systems are installed, this utility makes it very easy to manage booting into an alternate OS.
  14. Cathy
    An extremly small, very fast and easy to use portable media cataloging tool.
  15. 1by1
    1by1 is a small, fast and handy audio player which is not only small: it provides a smart and versatile environment to handle your file collection and listen to your tracks - with no need for playlists or databases.
  16. VoluMouse
    Volumouse provides you a quick and easy way to control the sound volume on your system - simply by rolling the wheel of your wheel mouse.
  17. Process Explorer
    Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.
  18. Startup Programs Tracker
    A small utility that will check the Start Menu and the System Registry for items that load at startup.
  19. Dark Room [Dependencies - .NET Framework 2]
    Dark Room is a full screen, distraction free, writing environment. Unlike standard word processors that focus on features, Dark Room is just about you and your text.
  20. mIRC
    mIRC is a full featured Internet Relay Chat client for Windows that can be used to communicate, share, play or work with others on IRC networks around the world, either in multi-user group conferences or in one-to-one private discussions.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I like Space Sniffer. It shows the size distribution of all the files and folders in a very dynamic way.
One can even choose to increase or decrease the level of details. So user friendly.

I have used TuneUp Utilities's Space Explorer before, but Space Sniffer is the best! :))

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Apps Under 2Mb:

VideoCacheView
HWMonitor
GPU-Z
BlueScreenView
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
Unlocker
VistaSwitcher
Driver Magician Lite
Recuva Slim
Sandboxie
Internet Cyclone

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thought of putting some of my apps which I use, and which are < 2MB.

1. Cathy
Just insert a removable storage media (like CD, DVD). Drag the drive icon on Cathy tool. And it indexes the complete contents of the media in seconds.
Cathy just has a single executable file. So completely portable.
Searching is fast, almost instantaneous. Support wild cards.
Can index complete hard drive too, by the same mechanism!!

2. WinCDEmu
A virtual drive emulator, that makes mounting an image, as easy as just double clicking it. And unmounting as easy as, just ejecting the Virtual CD in My Computer! This too is portable!

3. MS-Paint
Yeah, I included this one for those Windows 7 users, who liked the interface of Paint in Windows XP better. A small download. And it co-exists with the current paint which is bundled with Win 7! You can even run both versions simultaneously!

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@vineet369 : Thanks for the suggestion but...
1. Everything just does the exact same thing (and much more) within a few seconds (literally).
2. Won't recommend that cause Daemon tools lite might be a better replacement for it but unfortunately it's nowhere near 2MB.
3. Seriously who uses mspaint (there's gimp, free and better. But again, nowhere near 2Mb).

unni

In the zone
Thanks. I liked f.lux in particular.

Is there any utility that will remind me to give my eyes rest every specified time?

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@unni How To Protect Your Eyesight From The Computer Screen? ProtectYourVision is a Web App Which Helps You Take Screen Breaks to Avoid Eye Strain.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@vineet369 : Thanks for the suggestion but...
1. Everything just does the exact same thing (and much more) within a few seconds (literally).
2. Won't recommend that cause Daemon tools lite might be a better replacement for it but unfortunately it's nowhere near 2MB.
3. Seriously who uses mspaint (there's gimp, free and better. But again, nowhere near 2Mb).

Everything is good as a Windows Search Replacement. But Cathy has a different function. Its like a portable catalog, through which you can keep an offline backup of the contents. Everything only works in Real time. And so you can't search file which are on your DVD collection through Everything!

For Daemon Tools, you yourself gave the answer, that it's not <2MB app.

And seriously dude, people still use MS-Paint. At least I find myself using that many times, for basic editing. Its lightweight, and does the job MOST of the time!

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@vineet369 : As far as what I understood from your sentence "And so you can't search file which are on your DVD collection through Everything!", actually yes you can search. Everything detects any new drive, indexes it and adds to the database, while you can continue with your search. You can even just search a certain drive/location if you are familiar with Everything's wildcard.
I do respect Cathy's features (especially the portability feature), functions and user-friendly UI all packed under such a small size, I would have surely added it to the list but at the same time there was an almost similar software (well not that similar) "Everything" in the list. Another reason i didn't add it because it hasn't been updated since a long time (Last updated on 2009). But many power users (Digit users likely) will surely find the software useful.
So in that note i decided to try and use "Cathy" for a while and if I find it "Powerful, Useful and Kick ass (PUKa)" I will definitely add it to the list.
If you are still using mspaint I recommend you try gimp for a while. It's definitely worth a try.

PS - If you hate using everything, there are alot of other alternatives - neosearch, TheSearchMan (I think it was featured in a issue of digit.) just to mention a few.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@vineet369 : As far as what I understood from your sentence "And so you can't search file which are on your DVD collection through Everything!", actually yes you can search. Everything detects any new drive, indexes it and adds to the database, while you can continue with your search. You can even just search a certain drive/location if you are familiar with Everything's wildcard.
I do respect Cathy's features (especially the portability feature), functions and user-friendly UI all packed under such a small size, I would have surely added it to the list but at the same time there was an almost similar software (well not that similar) "Everything" in the list. Another reason i didn't add it because it hasn't been updated since a long time (Last updated on 2009). But many power users (Digit users likely) will surely find the software useful.
So in that note i decided to try and use "Cathy" for a while and if I find it "Powerful, Useful and Kick ass (PUKa)" I will definitely add it to the list.
If you are still using mspaint I recommend you try gimp for a while. It's definitely worth a try.

PS - If you hate using everything, there are alot of other alternatives - neosearch, TheSearchMan (I think it was featured in a issue of digit.) just to mention a few.

I think you have quite a few misconceptions. I would try to address the most:

1. I don't 'hate' Everything. In fact, I have both "Everything" and "Cathy" as shortcuts to my Quick Access Toolbar.
2. IMO, both the applications have "Different" functions. And for me both are extremely useful. And thats why I use Both.
3. With no offence, I didn't shared the apps which I use, to be "added" in your list. But I thought this thread as a platform to just share the apps which geeks find useful. So I shared.

So, I think, you will definitely find both apps different when you would use Cathy.

PS, congo, now you are eligible to set your Avatar and Custom User Title :)

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
I am completely aware that your intention was just to share the apps. I will just keep on adding the useful apps you guys share with me to the list just to make them easier to access.

PS, thanks

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Some more useful free tools

1. Photofiltre Portable - free photo editing software
2. Stickies - post it notes for reminders
3. Comparator - Old but effective tool for comparing two folders
4. WSUS Offline - Offline installer for Windows updates

Arun

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@sakumar Thanks for the suggestions.
2. Thanks alot! That's exactly the kind of software I was looking for!
3. Can't find it.

unni

In the zone
@sygeek
Thanks for the ProtectYourVision link. It looks like just the thing I wanted. Though an app would have been better, since I won't have internet all the time.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@sygeek, Comparator free version can be got at Comparator free download. Keeping track of files and protecting them from loss or damage is a never ending chore for any active PC user. Here is a simple utility that will take... - the creators website Compare files and folders using ComparatorPro seems to now show only a shareware version Comparator Pro...

Arun

Top Bottom