30 Free Powerful Apps Under 2MB

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ sygeek - TFS ;-)

BTW, I use a nice app called notepad2 as windows default notepad replacement and simply it's a superb app under 1 mb and has a couple of moded version as well.

flo's freeware - Notepad2

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@sygeek:A very good list of Apps....must try

But I dont understand whats with 2mb....it is not necessory dat a powerful app/tool should be of 2mb or less than dat....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
2.IsoPuzzle - A very powerful utility for copying damaged optical disks.

Really? Can it? Although my disk isn't damaged, but it gives Cyclic Redundancy Error while copying a 1.8 GB file from a DVD. Will try this s/w, hope it helps! :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
A few more useful apps under 2 MB
1. Crimson Editor - A source code editor with syntax highlighting, macro recording and more such features
2. Free RAM XP Pro - Release unused RAM
3. USB Vaccine by Panda Security - Prevent computer and pendrives from being infected by Autorun.inf viruses
4. Unlocker - Delete files locked by Windows processes...
5. Keyfinder - Retrieve product id
6. SyncBack - syncing/backup software
7. Putty and iXplorer - SSH client software
8. DOSBOX - DOS virtual environment
9. Quick PDF Tools -Set of useful pdf utilities for creation, merging, etc.
10. XP Remove Hot Fix Backup tool by Doug Knox

Arun

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@sygeek:A very good list of Apps....must try

But I dont understand whats with 2mb....it is not necessory dat a powerful app/tool should be of 2mb or less than dat....
You don't want to fill up your hdd with bloated softwares, do you? These small, but useful softwares often get the task done with ease and simplicity

@topgear : Thanks for the software, looks like a great alternative to notepad++
@vineet369 : Please try that software and see if it really works, and then inform me with the result. I can't try the software as of yet cause I usually throw away any damaged/corrupt disks

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ notepad++ has plethora features - so notepad2 can't be called as a replacement of notepad++ instead notepad2 can be called a very good replacement of windows default notepad app.

BTW, another good thing is even notepad++ can has version under 1mb ( download size - after extracting it's some ~2mb ) and it's called Notepad++ minimalist package - the current version is 5.9 - you can get it from here :
Notepad++ 5.9 Release | 5.9

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
^^ notepad++ has plethora features - so notepad2 can't be called as a replacement of notepad++ instead notepad2 can be called a very good replacement of windows default notepad app.

BTW, another good thing is even notepad++ can has version under 1mb ( download size - after extracting it's some ~2mb ) and it's called Notepad++ minimalist package - the current version is 5.9 - you can get it from here :
Notepad++ 5.9 Release | 5.9
hmm, will try that smaller version of notepad++. Looks like it was too early to form an opinion of notepad2, will try and explore it more today.
Update:
After 10 minutes of using notepad2, I realized it's limitations which makes it almost incomparable to notepad++. Notepad2 obviously can't be a replacement for notepad++ but an alternative to it (under 2Mb) to get the simple work done , but ofcourse notepad2 can't compete with notepad++'s features.

Last edited:
OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
For people who really liked notepad2 and wanted to use it as a replacement for notepad,
How to Replace Notepad with Notepad2:

For Windows 7 - How To Replace Notepad in Windows 7 (Just use the notepad2.exe file instead of notepad++ and follow the same guide)

For Windows XP - Replace Notepad With Notepad2 (For SP3)
(Copy the script and save it as replace.bat in the same folder in which you have placed notepad2.exe)

If the above script doesn't work try the steps below

Here's the manual guide (For SP2):
  1. Create backup copy of c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe
  2. Change Explorer view options to show system files
  3. In temporary folder: Prepare new notepad.exe.
  4. Copy the EXE into the clipboard
  5. Open folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in Explorer
  6. Ctrl-V, Backspace X 3
  7. Answer the "insert WinXP CD" dialog so Notepad won't be reverted to the original version.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1by1 - only 150KB ;-)

Tired of handling playlists?

1by1 is a small, fast and handy audio player which is not only small: it provides a smart and versatile environment to handle your file collection and listen to your tracks - with no need for playlists or databases

1by1 - free mp3 and multiformat audio directory player

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
1by1 - only 150KB ;-)

Nice MP3 player it is, and great functionality for a size so small!
But it would have been more great, if the actual skin of the player matched with the screenshot the homepage shows ;)

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Here's a list of 30 kick ass powerful and useful apps under just 2 MB and best of all, they are all free!
  1. Space Sniffer
  2. f.lux
  3. CPU Z
  4. TeraCopy
  5. Everything

Thanks for the list. A brief description of each would have been better.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
EvilLyrics - Lyrics search tool - this app is also under 1MB ;-)

Automatically searches for lyrics as your song is played in your player and it supports a large number of media players.

:: searches over 15,000,000 lyrics »»
:: karaoke: create & share timestamps »»
:: stores lyrics for offline viewing»»
:: translates lyrics
:: allows searching for guitar chords, AMG profiles, album covers arts, posters etc.
:: Only 800 kB installation file

Evil Lyrics - Lyrics search tool- Official site

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
EvilLyrics - Lyrics search tool - this app is also under 1MB ;-)

Automatically searches for lyrics as your song is played in your player and it supports a large number of media players.

Evil Lyrics - Lyrics search tool- Official site
Doesn't work for me, shows "lyrics not found" for every song and I don't like the UI too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ but for me it worked with winamp and some Air supply songs though I've used it around 15 months back so can't comment on the latest version but thanks to you guys for testing it ;-)

Top Bottom