30-45 k PC Configuration advice. :)

koolent

Youngling
So, it has indeed been a long time but yea I know one thing for sure, when it comes to suggesting, You guys are the best of the best. :)

Getting to the point, I want a new PC for gaming because my current rig only supports only upto 2GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz and an LGA 775 socket i.e I have a Core 2 Duo E7400 which cannot be cranked much above the stock frequency due to the HP motherboard which totally sucks.
I also just bought a Corsair CX 430v2 and will sell it locally if I get a good deal because I am into overclocking.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Crysis, Crysis 2 (at ultra) and Crysis 3 (not many expectations :p ), Assasins creed 1, 2, 3...., Photoshop and since I am getting into video reviewing, Video editing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Planning to 35-40 at most 45

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: YES!

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 Gigs will do.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No, I have a Coompaq w185q at 1366 x 768. No HD needed as of now.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: GPU - MSI R6770-MD1GD5. Less complicatedly, an HD 6770

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Can take a little time, will plan the best buy first and then browse websites.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will, videos coming to YouTube :p

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Totally online. Buying locally, ain't nobody got time fo' that :p

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have planned on the following:

CPU- Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard- AsRock Fatal1ty Professional-M
Memory/RAM- Corsair Vengeance OR ADATA Gaming Series OR G.Skill RipjawsX OR G.Skill Sniper
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Hard Drive - Western Digital Cavial Blue 500 GB
PSU - SeaSonic S12II 520W OR Seasonic S12II 620W (whichever supports overclocking and further headroom for upgrades)
Chassis - NZXT Phantom 410

BUMP!

FX 8350 (11000)
Asus m5a97 (7000)
Corsair vengance 1600 MHz 8 GB (3700)
Corsair GS500 (4000)
WD blue/seagate barracuda 500 GB (3100)
NZXT Gamma (2500)
Logitech MK200 KB & mouse combo (700)

total: 32000

I think HD6770 will bottleneck the CPU. You can easily get Sapphire HD7850 without extending the budget in the above rig.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Small Changes
ASUS M5A97 R2 is Priced at 6k and not 7K.
Then, OP can go wid Corsair GS600 @ 4.5k.
+1 to that config. The RAM Price is little Higher.You can Choose RipJAWSx 2x4 GB @ 3.3k

Myth

Cyborg Agent
^ I like the suggestion by harshil and addition of the HD7850. Much better performance as compared to the existing gpu.
If changing the gpu is not an option, consider the config below.

Proci5 3​570k13
moboasus v gene14
ramgskills 8gb3.5
hdd(wd,toshiba 2yrs/ hitachi 3 yrs )500gb3
psuCorsair gs500 / seasonic 520w4
cabinetnzxt phtm6.1
coolercm hyper 212 evo2.2
Get the warranty details and the prices confirmed once.
Total
: 45.8

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
FX 8350 (11000)
Asus m5a97 (7000)
Corsair vengance 1600 MHz 8 GB (3700)
Corsair GS500 (4000)
WD blue/seagate barracuda 500 GB (3100)
NZXT Gamma (2500)
Logitech MK200 KB & mouse combo (700)

total: 32000

I think HD6770 will bottleneck the CPU. You can easily get Sapphire HD7850 without extending the budget in the above rig.

AAh. Bottlenecks bottlenecks Everywhere! I am upgrading from my current rig so that it doesn't bottleneck my 6770 LOL. Nyways, If I get a good price for it, might sell it off and buy a 7850 (not sure).

^ I like the suggestion by harshil and addition of the HD7850. Much better performance as compared to the existing gpu.
If changing the gpu is not an option, consider the config below.

Proci5 3​570k13
moboasus v gene14
ramgskills 8gb3.5
hdd(wd,toshiba 2yrs/ hitachi 3 yrs )500gb3
psuCorsair gs500 / seasonic 520w4
cabinetnzxt phtm6.1
coolercm hyper 212 evo2.2
Get the warranty details and the prices confirmed once.
Total
: 45.8

Cool, I ws thinking for the same just that there is a 2k increase in the 3570K so, that defeats the "buyability" of that Maximus V GENE. Will try anyways :) Let's see if I can get an AsRock Extreme6. Not much difference except the branding.

Last edited:

sumalatha

Banned
So, it has indeed been a long time but yea I know one thing for sure, when it comes to suggesting, You guys are the best of the best. :)

Getting to the point, I want a new PC for gaming because my current rig only supports only upto 2GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz and an LGA 775 socket i.e I have a Core 2 Duo E7400 which cannot be cranked much above the stock frequency due to the HP motherboard which totally sucks.
I also just bought a Corsair CX 430v2 and will sell it locally if I get a good deal because I am into overclocking.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Crysis, Crysis 2 (at ultra) and Crysis 3 (not many expectations :p ), Assasins creed 1, 2, 3...., Photoshop and since I am getting into video reviewing, Video editing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Planning to 35-40 at most 45

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: YES!

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 Gigs will do.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No, I have a Coompaq w185q at 1366 x 768. No HD needed as of now.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: GPU - MSI R6770-MD1GD5. Less complicatedly, an HD 6770

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Can take a little time, will plan the best buy first and then browse websites.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will, videos coming to YouTube :p

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Totally online. Buying locally, ain't nobody got time fo' that :p

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have planned on the following:

CPU- Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard- AsRock Fatal1ty Professional-M
Memory/RAM- Corsair Vengeance OR ADATA Gaming Series OR G.Skill RipjawsX OR G.Skill Sniper
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Hard Drive - Western Digital Cavial Blue 500 GB
PSU - SeaSonic S12II 520W OR Seasonic S12II 620W (whichever supports overclocking and further headroom for upgrades)
Chassis - NZXT Phantom 410

BUMP!

Here goes VFM config:

AMD FX 8350 -11000,
Asus M5A97 R2.0 -6100,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -3000,
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo -2200,
WD Black 1TB -5500,
Corsair GS600 -4500,
Asus HD7770 1GB -8500,
Corsair 300R (Windowed Side-panel) -3900,
Asus 24B3ST DVD-RW -1000.
TOTAL - 45600.

I suggested HD7770 because HD6770 will become a bottleneck for gaming.

summers

Journeyman
Well, because in terms of encoding, AMD is ahead of Intel with all the beautiful cores but in terms of gaming, intel is.. I have watched billions of videos :p

There is a marginal difference in performance compared to i5 3570K but at the same time 8350 is 4k cheaper than Intel counterpart. The cost of Z77 mobos is also 3K more than AM3+ mobos. At higher resolutions, games are more dependant on GPU rather than CPU. You won't feel any difference during gaming.

Now, you won't play your games without a GPU, if that's the case, then you should go with Intel, else you should invest those additional 4K + 3K in a good GPU. Moreover, the games and applications you have mentioned can now more effectively utilize the multi-core architecture of FX processors.

sumalatha

Banned
There is a marginal difference in performance compared to i5 3570K but at the same time 8350 is 4k cheaper than Intel counterpart. The cost of Z77 mobos is also 3K more than AM3+ mobos. At higher resolutions, games are more dependant on GPU rather than CPU. You won't feel any difference during gaming.

Now, you won't play your games without a GPU, if that's the case, then you should go with Intel, else you should invest those additional 4K + 3K in a good GPU. Moreover, the games and applications you have mentioned can now more effectively utilize the multi-core architecture of FX processors.

Rightly Put. +1 to summers.

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
Cool, AMD it is then, now to check the prices and consider he config to dad, give me your blessings :p. Thanks btw :)

AND, it is a Black Edition, cool!

Well, because in terms of encoding, AMD is ahead of Intel with all the beautiful cores but in terms of gaming, intel is.. I have watched billions of videos :p
And how much did the 8350 lag behind by? A few FPS? Even if an Intel cpu manages 160 fps and the fx 8350 is giving you 140 fps, then what's the problem? None of the fps are below playable and nor lag behind by trillions.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
+1^ yes even if fx 8350 get 140fps and i5 get 160 then if one has 120hz monitor then fps will be limited at 120 only so basically in real word they both perform same or same applies to 60hz monitor.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
@OP : If you are planning for heavy OC'ing in future, invest on a better motherboard. The M5A97 has a 4+2 phase power design will will be insufficient to OC the Vishera behemoth.

Cut cost on the cabinet and invest it on the PSU. Buy a basic cabinet like NZXT Source 210 Elite/BitFenix Merc Alpha and invest the saved money on something like SEASONIC SS-750JS. The SeaSonic's are way better that GS series.

And don't go for HD7770. The games are getting resource hungry day by day and anything less than a HD7850 will be waste of money in the long run. So even if you don't have money for a GPU now, save some more and get a better one later.

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
@OP : If you are planning for heavy OC'ing in future, invest on a better motherboard. The M5A97 has a 4+2 phase power design will will be insufficient to OC the Vishera behemoth.

Cut cost on the cabinet and invest it on the PSU. Buy a basic cabinet like NZXT Source 210 Elite/BitFenix Merc Alpha and invest the saved money on something like SEASONIC SS-750JS. The SeaSonic's are way better that GS series.

And don't go for HD7770. The games are getting resource hungry day by day and anything less than a HD7850 will be waste of money in the long run. So even if you don't have money for a GPU now, save some more and get a better one later.

That is what exactly i was thinking.

BTW, thanks a lot guys, I ignored the fact that games are getting core hungry day by day.. So, yep.. AMD it is then.
Also, for motherboard I think AsRock Extreme 4 OR AsRock Extreme 9

Further it depends upon dad. Talking about GPU, that I will upgrade later as I am in 9th so have just some months of gaming left till I am off to college, will upgrade there.

For power supply, I think the SeaSonic S12II 620 will be good?

getvmurali

Broken In

Well I don't straight away agree with you. On the FPS front, Intel might score better points. But when it comes to FPS/$ then its very clear that AMD is the winner here. Also those FPS lag by AMD is not very much pronounced and it certainly doesn't bring down the gaming exp. Final words: AMD + Right GPU is always VFM than Intel

Top Bottom