3 weeks with Huawei/Google Nexus 6P and iPhone 6 - A Layman's review

MANOfJosh

QA Professional
OP, you could add a note on camera performance with nexus devices. Google finally got things rolling on this front.

It might be just me but coming from prev nexuses, this thing has a night and day improvements in camera on a nexus phone.

Nicely detailed review btw. :)

OP
siddharthx64

siddharthx64

A Droid in a Tux
OP, you could add a note on camera performance with nexus devices. Google finally got things rolling on this front.

It might be just me but coming from prev nexuses, this thing has a night and day improvements in camera on a nexus phone.

Nicely detailed review btw. :)

Thank you for your feedback, ManOfJosh! I am actually working on snapping a few shots using both phones since a couple of days, and yes, I definitely noticed the major improvements in Camera Hardware and Pic O/p Quality. I will be posting these within a couple of days!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Of course I understand, it is not so difficult to understand. But equating it with ease of use is just wrong.
not even talking as android-vs-ios, this is just ios. There are choices that Jony Ive has made. You cannot disrespect these very choices and give it negative marking for being what it is. That is like going and buying a car instead of a tractor and then complaining that it is not good for ploughing the field.
If everyone is using the device in only one way, and having the expectation that everyone else also will or should use in that way only then that is bandwagon effect, herd mentality. Sure, the iPhone was not designed for a third world country, neither was any smartphone. The last phone like that was the 1100.

also, which mp3 buying service licenses the files for usage as ringtones? normally the agreement has some clause like no digital manipulation and reproduction.

OP
siddharthx64

siddharthx64

A Droid in a Tux
Of course I understand, it is not so difficult to understand. But equating it with ease of use is just wrong.
not even talking as android-vs-ios, this is just ios. There are choices that Jony Ive has made. You cannot disrespect these very choices and give it negative marking for being what it is. That is like going and buying a car instead of a tractor and then complaining that it is not good for ploughing the field.
If everyone is using the device in only one way, and having the expectation that everyone else also will or should use in that way only then that is bandwagon effect, herd mentality. Sure, the iPhone was not designed for a third world country, neither was any smartphone. The last phone like that was the 1100.

In the end, no one wants a phone thats not easy to use, good looking, or well-performing. The tasks/activities I mentioned in my post are well within the confines of what would be globally acknowledged as day-to-day tasks, and are performed by a vast majority of people who use smartphones from different brands and platforms.

Car and tractor joke was funny. but not really sensible to use in this context, simply because both of them are still phones. We are not comparing tablets and smartphones here. We're comparing smartphones to smartphones. Using basic things that people would do with smartphones. Just because Apple decided to take those choices away from you doesn't mean that we ought to stop doing those tasks.

Lastly, no one is disrespecting the choices that Apple has force-fed it's users. We are just choosing to make our own choices instead of letting someone make them for us.

I can't make it any more simpler for you.

also, which mp3 buying service licenses the files for usage as ringtones? normally the agreement has some clause like no digital manipulation and reproduction.

Maybe this can help: Know Your Rights: Is it illegal to make my own ringtones?
Looks to me like you are well within your rights to use MP3s as your ringtones. Just not mp3s bought from iTMS.

rachitrt23

Broken In
What a lame comparison anorion . A better comparison would be Microsoft's choice (dunno their lead's name) their decision to bring the tiled interface to Windows 8 missing out on the home button. But no one (i thnk 99% of the world) appreciated their decision (i didn't followed tdf back then. Did u said we should support the new design philosophy?) and they received a lot of flak. Soo are we biased against Microsoft too? Or bias is just a relative term?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

wow you make an excellent point !!
this is soo true !!

- - - Updated - - -

What a lame comparison anorion . A better comparison would be Microsoft's choice (dunno their lead's name) their decision to bring the tiled interface to Windows 8 missing out on the home button. But no one (i thnk 99% of the world) appreciated their decision (i didn't followed tdf back then. Did u said we should support the new design philosophy?) and they received a lot of flak. Soo are we biased against Microsoft too? Or bias is just a relative term?

since you brought Windows 8 into the picture-
I agree windows 8 was not that pleasing for non-touch screen users but you gotta admit, as an OS, it was actually faster than windows 7 and improved on multiple levels
its design was more pleasing to the eye but implementation should have been like what Windows 10 is today
it got alot of unnecessary hate and untruths told about it(just as windows 10 seems to be getting) despite its obvious pros

I think these reviewers are partly responsible for this and bring in their own bias and hate towards Microsoft (and sometimes even in Apple reviews) whereas Google and other companies rarely get any hate despite their cons

Btw Im basing this opinion based on my experience with my Dell laptop(which was updated officially - 7 to 8 to 8.1 and now 10) , Surface Pro 3(8.1 to 10) , Lumia 720 (8.0 to 8.1 and 10 dev preview) , Nexus 5 and 7 (4.x to 6.0) , iPad 2,3,4,mini 1 and 2 (ios 4 to ios 9 depending on device)..
I think Apple and Microsoft are very underrated and get too much flak than what they deserve whereas Samsung, Google etc are never portrayed in the way they should be

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I don't know what part to answer to. All of these very things are actually easier. will have a go at customisation. whatever this customization is, orange fading to pink with some script font, Jony Ive has chosen the most legible digital display font for mobile screen resolutions under different circumstances (eg: movement, lighting) in accordance with current available technology and has used colours in a contextual way that gives more information about the task being performed. If you are even bothering to customize, rest assured that Jony Ive is the Industry Leader in thinking these things through for maximum benefit, he will think more about why to use a font or a colour than you ever will. You are doing less work in customising, how is that more.

Apple is the industry leader, historically when it comes to fonts for digital displays as well as fonts for design. They got in Myriad and Helvetica.

its like comparing Oranges and Apple, and then eating apple n sayin git does not tast like orange
I had never really understood that analogy till now. Thank you heartily.

Innocent Lies

Broken In
I used to use iPhone for quite some time and have an iPad for gaming as well. Yes iPhone in general has the ease of use and consistent interface making things easy going for it etc. & that's a big plus for iPhones. I peronally love that it has no app drawer which makes things so much easier for older people to use. But this ignores the fact that the itunes & loading media through itunes is absurd and the complete opposite of ease of use which iPhones are known for.

The problem siddharthx64 highlighted with Ringtones is one thing, another was what about if your ringtone isn't a song? I personally like stuff from games/BBC intro or intro from several series GoT/Sherlock etc. That is just not in iTunes and I have to jump around insane hoops which are the opposite of user friendly and require a level of expertise in computers. (Changing the file type, converting mp3's cutting them etc etc.)

The point of comparing that to Android is that it's possible to make it so simple.

Anyways I think almost anywhere iTunes gets involved it makes things worse. Want to copy anything from someone else's comp? Well you can't.
And the thing that irks me most about it is that I cannot purchase an app not even get one that is free on an offer unless I have my iPad with me or a comp with iTunes on it. Which becomes really tough when you get to know about an offer on an app that you want but don't have your tab with you at work and your work comp doesn't have itunes.

And again comparing with Android just so it can show an alternative of it being done: I buy an app on the web play store and my pad @ my home will automatically start downloading it. When I get home it's generally finished downloading and I can start to play almost instantaneously.

Please tell me how iTunes isn't far far worse in this case compared to play store.
My usage is I game alot and with space restrictions I have to keep deleting and downloading newer games. So over the long run I have a far better time doing this in Android and get frustrated with ios.

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Did you even read what I wrote???

You can't buy an app even if its free without iTunes installed on your comp. That is retarded.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
This is an interesting forum to read... I was searching for an Android vs iOS debate to strengthen my R&D to purchase my next and hopefully (no, I 'beg' Dear GOD) final daily driver for atleast a couple of years. Here Anorion is the lone soldier in the Apple corner while an army of Androids keep launching attacks!
I too have a soft corner for iOS but lately after 6S pricing, its vapourizing in the atmosphere.

My One liner Android supporter statement will be :: Those who are techie Geeks and love to fiddle around with a piece of hardware and software, and those who love customization to minuscule nature, will LOVE Android and will stick with it. Rest who dont bother the above and just want a smartphone that can do basic tasks, call, net, youtube, map etc etc AND can afford obviously will go for Apple.

BTW its been 4,5 days of heavy Nexus 6P use. ANother week or so and I shall be ready to share my reviews; on Marshmallow and Nexus device as well. And yes already Rooted the phone, so that also I will cover. This was the very first thing I did, the moment I recieved the phone ......:)
Ans : JB

Innocent Lies

Broken In
My One liner Android supporter statement will be :: Those who are techie Geeks and love to fiddle around with a piece of hardware and software, and those who love customization to minuscule nature, will LOVE Android and will stick with it. Rest who dont bother the above and just want a smartphone that can do basic tasks, call, net, youtube, map etc etc AND can afford obviously will go for Apple.

BTW its been 4,5 days of heavy Nexus 6P use. ANother week or so and I shall be ready to share my reviews; on Marshmallow and Nexus device as well. And yes already Rooted the phone, so that also I will cover. This was the very first thing I did, the moment I recieved the phone ......:)

Yep that's quite right. If you can afford Apple and don't want to fiddle around much it's the most well rounded phone.
Also for people who are not into tech stuff/ don't take basic security precautions (like not downloading random apps from ads etc.)/ don't get shortcuts widgets etc. iPhones are better and much more user friendly.

With one caveat: In India where most people download movies/songs etc. It's not that convenient if you keep downloading a lot of new ones. Which a lot of casual users do.

rachitrt23

Broken In
I think android is as user friendly as iOS if not more. Even if you don't fiddle around android is still great from a normal user's perspective.
Though iOS or rather the optimization done by Apple and the hardware provided by them sure is compelling. Albeit bit expensive in India.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The biggest difference to me is content. If half the same content I have on my iTunes account comes on the Play store, I will literally run to the store and buy a Droid.
Another difference is how fragmented android is. Im paying for the processor, don't want it working for some haphazard combination of OEM, ISP and Google, but one application made just for, and tested with, that combination hardware and software.
Each device is not so critical, so can buy any phone from line up, this is "brand value".

rachitrt23

Broken In
Fair point. But android fragmentation is blown out of proportions imo. Because most of the apps do work on almost all android 4.0 and up devices

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
if fragmentation is no longer a problem, it was a problem that was solved, a problem that Apple never had.

it is apple does not taste like orange
they both set out to solve different problems despite being smartphone platforms
Approach is only different, for ease of use it makes a lot of difference that
one is a closed ecosystem, one is open, both have benefits and shortcomings because of their nature. Bias comes in when saying either one is as good or better than the other.

Android had project butter, seems to me that it was using more resources for making stuff look smooth rather than the actual work, but that could be my bias
HTC released this infographic, must be similar for other droid OEMs
*www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/htc-update-infographic.jpg

that is not the way Apple does things at all. Cannot compare the two here.

rachitrt23

Broken In
Bias is a relative term. I think we all have come to a point where all the devices are equally good. It just depends on the eco system you have invested or the one you prefer.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
[MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION] is right about the availability of some apps on Ios.. Infinity blade, Ace attourney dual destinies and a couple of other games, are very well made ios exclusives

Top Bottom