2GB PenDrv showing only 49MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Recently from an old Digit DVD I turned my PD into a bootable device with DSL in it. The problem is when I formatted it, it ate up my PDs memory and my computer is only showing disk space of 49 MB. How could I get the lost memory back ?

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Kingston Data Traveller 2.0 GB

Are you sure ?

I had formatted it many times. It's first time this happened. Isn't there a S/W solution available ?? Isn't some recovery s/w capable to help me ?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Probably Windows is only able to see the FAT32 partition and not the partition made by DSL, hence it only shows 49MB of free space. Plug in the drive and take a look at it in the Disk Management console (diskmgmt.msc). Most probably you'll see an unrecognized partition on it. Delete it and also delete the FAT32 partition. Now do a full format of the drive.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
How much capacity do you see in linux? See in disk management in windows or use fdisk -l in linux. Other partition may not have been formatted.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
How much capacity do you see in linux? See in disk management in windows or use fdisk -l in linux. Other partition may not have been formatted.

i don't use linux. i had a bootable dvd with which i created a bootable usb. and the i formatted it. and the linux desktop was larger than my screen so i was unable to do much. anyways tell me solution in windows pls.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Probably Windows is only able to see the FAT32 partition and not the partition made by DSL, hence it only shows 49MB of free space. Plug in the drive and take a look at it in the Disk Management console (diskmgmt.msc). Most probably you'll see an unrecognized partition on it. Delete it and also delete the FAT32 partition. Now do a full format of the drive.

as a matter fact

i installed Damn Small Linux (size 50mb). so windows is only able to see that partition.

and that's FAT32 only as i formatted on windows vista

any more clues what happened ?

though i haven't done the DMC thing. i will try it today...

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
ashamed i shud've lukd b4 askling dose question of DMC.

problem solved.

thnx a zillion!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom